2018 Reg Seas Game #54 – vs. Pirates – Thu 5/31

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #54 – vs. Pirates – Thu 5/31

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Note the early start
    6:15 RHP Jack Flaherty (2-1, 2.15 ERA) vs. RHP Trevor Williams (5-3, 3.43 ERA) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This series starts a stretch of 13 games against struggling (Pirates) to bad (Marlins, Reds, Padres) teams before the schedule gets considerably tougher heading to the All Star break.

Ideally, this team would go 9-4 or at worst 8-5 to give a little cushion for the tough stretch.

PadsFS
    Participant

I’d like to see Guilmet make it up tomorrow before he can opt-out.

I wouldn’t mind seeing O’Neill sent down since Bader is playing so well and another relief pitcher added. Baron can come off the 40-man.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont believe Guilmet needs to be on the major league, just the 40 man roster.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

very underwhelming lineup.3 runs tops.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler had 3 hits yesterday
    Carp is warming up
    Bader is hot
    Munoz and JMart seem to be not worthless
    Pham seems off
    Garcia Pena and Flaherty are the only “holes” and Pena hasnt been that bad recently either

what kind of lineup do you expect? It isnt going to magically get better hitting players in it

Ozuna probably needs the day
    Gyorko was off yesterday and probably needs a day
    Kelly isnt hitting…
    Wong isnt hitting
    Voit just got called up and hasnt been that great at AAA

also..our starters ERA gives up about 3 runs a game so 3 runs might get the job done anyways

NJ315
    Participant

Why is Voit up?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i didnt realize Guilmet can opt out…he definitely needs to be brought up and added then…we already lost Lucas to a tough decsiion and he seems to be doing fine for the A’s let’s not lose another

I dont see how Baron is more important to the team than Guillmet may be…we can always find another AAAA catcher…or even give Knizner a 40man spot if we are desperate

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If that is the tradeoff, I agree with you, jager.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Great, a throw to 1st by Flaherty on a pickoff that is almost perfect and Martinez cant handle it for an error. Harrison advances to 2nd. Surely – SURELY – they will get him away from 1st ASAP!

Anyway, Cardinals plate four runs in the 1st and lead 4-0 after one. Sounds like the Pirates got something going in their half of the 2nd, however.

r/Rat

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I’m over the Jose Martinez experiment. They should have traded him in the off season. I keep hoping for the day I see Martinez and Wong gone. Carpenter needs to be at 1B every day. Munoz has played his way into keeping SS for awhile, maybe even after DeJong returns and he can shift to 2B or 3B. I think he’d be better, and very good at 3B, but if he needs to play 2B so Jedd plays 3B then make it work.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham has now lost over 100 points of batting average from his peak this season. Seems like something must be up.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lets play a little game: Who gets to .250 first…Carp or Pham?

Currently-
    Carp: .231
    Pham: .266

NJ315
    Participant

Flaherty not sharp today. 4-4

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Weaver and Flaherty both allowed four runs in their most recent starts, but both look to be staying in the rotation.

Flaherty gave up a four-run lead tonight, while in Weaver’s game, the Cardinals did not score until he was out.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Flaherty needed 102 pitches to get through 5 innings. While he struck out 5, he gave up 7 hits and allowed 4 runs to score-only 3 were earned, however.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Remember when we were all guessing what the Cardinals would do when with the rotation when Martinez and Reyes were both healthy? Its like that doesn’t even matter now.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Martinez get another rehab start but I’m not sure.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep…a classic case of counting chickens.

The Cards have two starters who will probably be 5 inning type pitchers all season (Flaherty and Weaver) and a bad, bad bullpen. What could possibly go wrong?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

A soft line drive to single by Garcia scores Fowler and the Cards regain the lead. 5-4 after five.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would liked to have seen Lyons keep going.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By bWAR, Harrison Bader is more valuable than Tommy Pham in half the PA. By fWAR, Pham is slightly more valuable by WAR/PA but after tonight that may change.

Would be nice to have both of them starting full time, and Pham to get back to something closer to his full season numbers.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d also like to add that Jose Martinez is a great story, probably a great guy and, deployed properly, could be an excellent offensive weapon to have. I’m not in the camp that wants him traded.

Rather, I’d like to see him DHing in AL parks, spot starting at 1B against LHP and maybe in the OF if there’s a rash of injuries. There’s nothing wrong with having a bat like his available to pinch hit late in the game.

But the defense suffers too much when he’s in the lineup every day at 1B. It forces Carp off the one position he’s actually decent at and really makes things a pain.

350-400 AB for league minimum and let him put up his .850 OPS with minimal defensive damage and I’m happy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bader cannot hit RHP well enough to be a starter, but he has always mashed lefties.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

is mercado (bat aside) a better def SS than munoz?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.