2018 Reg Seas Game #43 – vs. Phillies – Sat 5/19

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #43 – vs. Phillies – Sat 5/19

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That was ugly, but I am not ready to pull the rug out from Gyorko at short yet. His two errors were on throws, which is odd. It would seem that accurately throwing should not be an issue, or at least not a consistent issue. Maybe he needs time to adjust. For now I think that was an aberration, but we will have to live with some lack of range if he stays there, even if his throwing improves.

Holland though, is a major issue. The club committed to him, but he cannot be trusted in any close game. Tough call, as you cannot burn out other guys and keep Holland from being used. It might get to the point when other options are available (Reyes, Waino, etc) that the club will need to release Holland and bite the bullet on the $14M.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to fWAR, which takes offense and defense into account, Martinez is a 0.7 player so far this year and was at 1.6 in 2017.

I do agree the infield as constructed continues to be an inhibitor. It was last year, too, but all they did during the off-season to address it was to trade away Diaz, who was already out of the picture, anyway.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

They did acquire Munoz and Schrock, although I believe the thought was that these guys would be a year or two away from the big leagues.

I would probably primarily go with Gyorko at third and Garcia at short in DeJong’s absence. But Matheny obviously wants to keep Carpenter on the field, as his bat has shown some signs of life.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Munoz has extensive playing time at SS in the minors.Plug him in and let him play.Garcia isn`t anything special at SS and better serves the team as a Pinch-hitter/backup anyway.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Are any of these guys a shortstop? NO!!!!!!!!!!

They are guys that can play shortstop. We need a true shortstop.

r/Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Totally agree, Rat. I was going to say about the same thing when I opened this thread. That ball hit by Alfaro that gave the Phillies the lead would have been caught for an out by at least half of the major league shortstops that are playing today, although I’m not so sure that DeJong would have gotten to it either. It is truly frustrating that, after all these years, this organization has still not figured out how to find and develop middle infielders. I call it ‘the curse of the Wizard’ because it seems like it started around 1996, the year that TLR went back on his word to Smith about that year’s competition for starting shortstop.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

That was ugly, but I am not ready to pull the rug out from Gyorko at short yet. His two errors were on throws, which is odd. It would seem that accurately throwing should not be an issue, or at least not a consistent issue. Maybe he needs time to adjust. For now I think that was an aberration, but we will have to live with some lack of range if he stays there, even if his throwing improves.

There’s no excuse for Martinez not catching that. It was an easy one and he continually muffs those catches. I don’t know how anyone can be that bad at catching a baseball.

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years