2018 Reg Seas Game #43 – vs. Phillies – Sat 5/19

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #43 – vs. Phillies – Sat 5/19

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:15 p.m. John Gant (1-1, 4.15) vs. RHP Aaron Nola (6-1, 1.99) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

Update: RHP Zach Eflin (1-0, 0,71) will be the Phillies starter.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well…..here we go again! Looks like another unheralded young opposing pitcher who’ll most likely hurl the game of his life vs our Cardinals. The Redbirds fare better against the Arrietas of the world than they do vs these kind of guys. Pardon my language, but if Eflin efin shuts our lineup down….in our ballpark….I’ll throw a tizzy!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, here is a positive factoid that may offset some of your Elf-ish concerns.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great to see the bats come to life last night. Pena looks good when he gets some playing time. He is doing what everyone was hoping we would see from Kelly.

Today’s pitching match-up is a mismatch on paper, with the Phillies having the advantage. Might be another day where the offense is MIA. Hopefully the club proves me wrong.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the weather like over in St. Louis? Looks like a lot of rain throughout the Midwest. Just wondering if this game might be delayed long enough for me to get to the grocery and back home in time for the first pitch?

r/Rat

wagee12
    Participant

So let me get this straight. Pena gets three hits including a bomb last night and gets benched today. HUMM.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

So let me get this straight. Pena gets three hits including a bomb last night and gets benched today. HUMM.

The old “give your catcher a rest on the day after a night game”. And it makes sense as theoretically what you did yesterday has no bearing on what you might do today. But in baseball, it is also justifiable to play the guys who are performing well, as it seems like success and failures in the game tend to be bunched together.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Whats the weather like over in St. Louis?

Don’t know what it’s like in the midwest, Rats. But if anyone is interested, it’s cool and rainy today here in the Denver, CO area. We seem to be in this pattern where it is nice all week, and not so nice on weekends. Not good for the youth baseball and soccer leagues.

The Rockies are in San Francisco, so not an issue there. And a side note about that, I heard the other day that the Rockies have already played 12 games against the Padres, but this is their first series against the Giants. They follow this up with a series in Los Angeles, and it will be their first match-up with the Dodgers as well.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another side note related to today’s game. I think the Cardinals should wear those “St. Louis” uniforms on Saturday road games as well as home. On the road they would obviously be gray.

Traditionally teams have used the locality name on their road uni’s, with the nickname used for home uniforms. This would fall in place with that, plus give the road fans a little different look from the club.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t agree with Bader getting the start against the RHP. If they were going to sit Fowler, I would have gone with O’Neill.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike, I get your point about home and away designations, but the motivation is to sell jerseys and that happens at home. Sorry to keep injecting the nasty business reality into it… 😉

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, isn’t O’Neill in the starting lineup? Baron is the #8 hitter.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am going to claim that I read Baron and thought that was Bader. Yeah, that was it! Anyway, I will strike that not-so-hot take! Thanks for keeping me honest, 25.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

bikemike, I get your point about home and away designations, but the motivation is to sell jerseys and that happens at home. Sorry to keep injecting the nasty business reality into it… ?

Yeah, quite often my opinion is not reflective of what I think will happen, but rather what I think would be cool, or would do if I was king of the world.

Reality is that in all major sports, which includes D1 football and basketball, the business side rules, and the sport, tradition, best-way-to-do-things-from-a-big-picture-view, etc all fall in line behind the almighty dollar.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…on the other hand, the Cardinals travel well and have fans all over the land. Maybe having a gray “St. Louis” jersey would sell well to those of us not in Cardinal territory if it was displayed in road ball parks.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Spoke earlier with a Phillie fanatic friend of mine from South Euclid, Ohio and he summed up his thoughts on today’s game with the words “Gant can’t “….when it comes to his chances of taming this high powered Philadelphia offense. I look for Ozuna to finally get off the schneid with a towering tater and for The Red Baron to give a good accounting of himself en route to a 7-6 Redbird squeaker.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with you, Mike. My personal preference would be to see the road gray St. Louis, and it would make more sense, too. I am too much a traditionalist to favor the off-white version, because it is fundamentally wrong. 😉

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Gyorko coughs up an error and the Phillies go on to score. 1-0

Amazing how this team continually puts people out of position for the sake of offense.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Hernandez walked, Herrera homered. Cards down 3-0

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great to see some of the 1968 champion players introduced before the game. I wish a couple of those guys would have stayed with the Cards longer, Steve Carlton and Bobby Tolan.

The scene of Bob Gibson showing Luke Weaver the grip he used to throw his slider was priceless.

Interesting comment McCarver shared from Carlton – Steve said he will see how it goes as far as going on the air with Tim and Dan. Then he said Carlton might stay for the entire gsme if the Cardinals are winning. You would think Steve can’t lose today with his two primary teams going at it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

9 up, 9 down for Eflin. Granted, he has good stats this year, but his career ERA is 5.39.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Tommy Pham gets the first Cardinals hit in the 4th inning

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Pham single, Carpenter walk, JMART GDP

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years