2018 Reg Seas Game #3 – at Mets – Sun 4/1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #3 – at Mets – Sun 4/1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Luke Weaver vs. Steven Matz. 12:10 p.m. ET first pitch. FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX/CRN.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nothing more to say at this point other than to bump this back onto page 1 and wish everyone a Happy Easter eight hours early!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Happy Easter. it’s also my wife’s birthday – no foolin’!

Matz’ name works out pretty good. His uniform will have “Matz” on the back and “Mets” on the front.

Another pretty good example was in 1970 and early ’71, when the Cardinals had Jose Cardenal.

The all-time best example though was when Jerry West played for the Lakers, where he usually made the all-star team. His all-star uniform had “West” on both the front and back.

Participant

Free

Well today, the 31st is my birthday along with my oldest nephew’s birthday…at 39 I feel old, especially when said nephew is turning 27, so here’s hoping that tomorrow the Cards get their first win of the season…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Feels like Weaver may be our best pitcher at this point. Hopefully he will help get us in the win column here today.

Happy Resurrection Sunday/Easter, all!!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fowler
    Pham
    Carpenter 2B
    Ozuna
    J Martinez 1B
    Molina
    DeJong
    Gyorko 3B
    Weaver

Participant

Gyorko batting 8th? Really?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

No kiddin’. Didn’t he hit fourth for us most of the time last year?

My order would be to once again flip Carpenter and Pham, and hit Gyorko 6th, moving Molina and DeJong down a notch. Then you would have DeJong hitting 8th, who hit third a lot for us last year.

Here is an order with this group that might be a good one for the pitcher-hitting-eighth theory:

Pham, Carpenter, Ozuna, Martinez, Gyorko, DeJong, Molina, Weaver, Fowler

Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don`t understand batting DeJong 7th. If Molina gets on base then his slowness pretty much kills DeJong getting a extra base hit unless DEJong hits a Homerun.IMHO Molina should hit 8th.

Participant

Free

Goold said Gyorko has a sore wrist

Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s hope they break out the bats, strike out less and put more balls in play!

Participant

Free

I mentioned in another game thread that a hitter rarely is denied extra bases due to a slower runner ahead of them. The runner has a lead and a head start over the hitter who is still doing his follow-thru and getting out of the box.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

stlcard25: I have the same “feel” about Weaver. I hope and think he might be ready to emerge as staff stabilizer among the SPs. We need one badly, and need one today.

Participant

Free

I also fully believe Molina will have a better year than DeJong hitting this year. Letting DeJong get in a groove further down in the lineup is the best way to keep the pressure off him. I feel like they really hurt Diaz last year when they annointed him the #2 hitter (not that I would have been smart enough to know that then) which caused him to press. You could see it in his O-swing data where he was leading the league in swinging at pitches out of the strike zone.

DeJong already has poor plate discipline and although he improved each month thru 2017, I’d rather him not be forced to press this year like Diaz. Similarly, it looks like Pham is doing the same thing so it might be best to move Carpenter and Ozuna up and slide Pham into the 4-5 spot….if his at-bats continue to look so poor.

Participant

Free

This manager continues to display his ineptitude.

Participant

Free

How so? Because he does things different than you would? That makes him inept?

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Pad this whole team seems to have bad plate discipline when you’ve made 55 outs and 28 of them are strikeouts. The Mabry effect

Participant

Paid - Annual

TOP of 1. Matz dealing for NY.

Fowler – Caught looking on an inside heater for strike 3.

Pham – Walks on a 3-2 high one.

Carpenter- Free pass….sweet! Maybe we can become the lucky recipients of a bunch of free passes to get this Bird offense in gear.

Ozuna – Oz Jr. still looking for his first ML hit while wearing a red uniform. Ump said he went around on a VERY debatable call! Two down…ouch that hurts! If these K’s continue, our 2018 Cardinal squad may get the nickname The Big Whiff Machine……. a far cry from that Big Red Machine out of Cincy from the 70’s.

Martinez – Blisters a shot to center that Lagares only has to move a stride to corral…..end of inning.

Participant

Free

No Pads just look at that lineup and tell me with a straight face it makes any sense.

Participant

Paid - Annual

TOP of 2. Weaver tosses a lot(26) of pitches in the 1st, but does not allow any Met runner to play footsie with home plate. Weaver on a 9 inning projected pitch count of…… let’s see…4 carry the 5…..225.

Yadi – Skies one to deep center….Lagares drifts back and over towards right and hauls it in on the track. That ball carried very well…… should bode well for a homer or three for you dong lovers here this afternoon.

DeJong – Blasts it deep to left….back and long gone off the 2nd deck facing…..1-0 Cards!!

Gyorko –

Weaver –

Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 2 (continued)

Gyorko – Flys out routinely to Bruce in right.

Weaver – Strikes out flailing on a breaking ball to retire the side.

Cards 1 Mets 0

Participant

Paid - Annual

High pitch counts tight strike zone looks like we are going to see the bullpens early.

Participant

Paid - Annual

TOP of 3. Rosario ties it at 1 with a 2 out base knock and then promptly gets picked off 1st to end the frame. Both hurlers throwing more pitches than the Wolf of Wall Street so far after just 2 frames with Weaver north of 40 and Matz flirting with that same figure…..see here is why I need a sidekick up here in the booth, for if I did have a partner, I would most certainly have those exact pitch counts for you.

Fowler – Whiffs hacking, K victim #4 for Matz and now Dexter is off to a rather miserable 0-11 start here in 2018….but lucky for Fowler he still has 159 games to redeem himself.

Pham – Base hit.

Carpenter – On a 1-0 pitch, Pham easily swipes 2nd as the ball heads into center field, but Pham cannot advance. Grounds it out to Cabrera at 2nd who looks at Pham who for some reason did not high tail it on over to 3rd….and he throws Matt out at 1st. Ah the little things that cost a team games and championships.

Ozuna – Rifles a shot to left that Cespedes is going to have to play off the wall on a hop…..Pham scores with Ozuna checking in at 2nd with an rbi double! 2-1 Birds!

Martinez – Rockets a shot back to Matz that the Met hurler knocks down picks up and throws Martinez out at 1st to retire the side.

Cards 2 Mets 1

Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 4. Matz with 73 pitches thru 3.

Yadi – Ramrods one deep the center!…..Lagares drifts back…looks up and can only tip his cap to that baby as it’s gone!!! 3-1 Birds!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years