2018 Reg Seas Game #2 – at Mets – Sat 3/31

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #2 – at Mets – Sat 3/31

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Runner at 2nd and no buddy out. Two batters later he is still at second and the Cardinals are up to 7 strikeouts. Bad bad baseball.

Going to be a long long year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One unimpressed member of the national media.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, colhusker!

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Olbermann is full of great insight. The way the Mets are “trending” they might darn well go 162-0.

Participant

Hey somebody call Holland down and Florida and tell him to take his time getting ready to advance to St. Louis. Just tell him a team does not need a closer when it does not have a lead in the late innings or a ball game for that matter.

Participant

Free

Carpenter gets one run back he gave up. Too bad it doesn’t matter. Keith Olbermann doesn’t know the Cardinals too well. Ain’t no way they are gonna fire their boy. He’s just perfect in their eyes. He should have been canned long ago so ain’t no way they do it by June 1 or any time during the season. Heck I bet they don’t even do it after they miss the playoffs for a third year in a row.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Only two games in but already looking like 2017 redux. We may have had a few spring training heroes this year who don’t bring their level of performance into the regular season, Wacha for one. Matheney will say it’s a long season, but I’d say those early losses in March are very hard to make up in Sep. Does Ozuna have an arm problem? Please don’t tell me we have another outfielder who can’t throw home.

Participant

Free

Hard for Ozuna to throw home when he didn’t have the ball to throw. Pham played hero ball and cut Ozuna off on the catch for some dumbass reason. Another defensive blunder.

Participant

Free

Yet another defensive lapse.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Did anyone notice the huge strike zone Searzak had? Then it shrivels up when Tui pitched? I only saw part of the game, I sure hope it wasn’t that bad earlier.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am going to start keeping track of home plate umpires.

Participant

Free

Not really watching but just running by the bar from time to time.

Would it make some sense early on until Fowler gets it going to bat matt at leadoff. Fowler iirc disn’t really start hitting until May last season. Team really needs to put some pressure on if its going to continue surrending early leads.

Hey but its early! I mean there’s no need to panic yet. I mean Martinez struggled most of the spring and our apparent #2 couldn’t last 5 innings amd we got a 36 year old were relying on to find some lost magic and some guy from Japan were needing some innings eating from.

I mean the coaches look like geniuses for carrying 13 pitchers the way this is going. Lol

Participant

Fowler was playing really shallow. No way that ball should have gone over his head.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mets win 6-2, as Cards fall to 0-2 on the season.

Participant

This team looks flat. Hoping to see more energy in the coming games. Fowler looks like he is 40.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My plan for 4 wins out of 6 games on this opening road trip is going to require a 4 game win streak to accomplish.

Really like what I saw out of Weaver in spring training. Hopefully he brings the same to the mound tomorrow.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My oft-repeated and not original formula for 95 wins – manage a .500 record on the road and win 2 of every 3 at home. (Not that I am predicting 95, mind you!)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Hopefully they can salvage the game tomorrow. But the first two games have been less than inspiring.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Thank Brian been around before, just not much during off season.

Participant

27 Ks in 54 outs. 50% K rate.
    What’s going on?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

27 Ks in 54 outs. 50% K rate.
    What’s going on?

Sometimes you gotta give credit to the opponent. Syndergaard and deGrom are probably two of the top 10-15 pitchers in baseball when healthy.

I am not concerned about the offense. Our pitching is so ordinary though. Syndergaard or deGrom would easily be the ace on our staff. Plus I don’t see anyone in the bullpen that is a consistent shut-down guy.

But we’ll see. Sometimes these things work themselves out. We are roughly 1.2% into the season – lots can happen. Not that I expect much – I predicted we would win 80-83 games, so this is about how I thought we would look against two great starting pitchers in their ball park.

Get a win tomorrow and you feel pretty good about things.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The formula above is faulty on the strikeout rate. The denominator is plate appearances, not outs.

Correct answer is 27/71 or 38%. Still not good, but not quite as bad as 50%.

Participant

Free

Cardinals 27:

It’s not the umpires fault.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Small consolation perhaps, but the Marlins are taking the Cubs to extra innings for the second consecutive night. Chicago pitching far from dominating.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years