2018 Reg Seas Game #2 – at Mets – Sat 3/31

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #2 – at Mets – Sat 3/31

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Adam Wainwright vs. Jacob deGrom. 12:10 p.m. ET first pitch. FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX/CRN.

Update: With Wainwright’s move to the DL, Michael Wacha will make this start instead.

Participant

Paid - Annual

According to a Danny Mac tweet this start now goes to Wacha with Weaver Sunday. Leaves Flaherty, Miles M. and CMart for the brewers in Milwaukee. And then Wacha for home opener.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, what a clunker to start the season. Obviously we are not writing off the season based on one game, but this showed what I think is our weakness, pitching. Martinez also displayed an example of how even guys with great stuff are not going to win without control. Sandy Koufax might have had better stuff than any pitcher in history, but until he could throw strikes he was nothing special.

We’ll see. Hopefully things come together. But when you get a bad start, it tends to set the tone for the entire game. And our bullpen seems a bit of a mish-mash, although perhaps once Holland settles in he will give some focus to the rest of the group.

Wacha was good last year and had a good Spring. Let’s hope he can continue that tomorrow.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, I asked about the weather today at Shea, but no one seems to know to which landfill the debris was taken. Sorry, but for the rest of you…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today’s lineup. Rinse and repeat.

Fowler
    Pham
    Carpenter 3B
    Ozuna
    Martinez 1B
    Molina
    DeJong
    Wong
    Wacha

Participant

Free

So, In the “one-too-many” infielders sweepstakes Gyorko is the odd-man out. For how long? Is this an offensive move? A defensive move? Or a flip-a-coin move?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Jedd is a good guy to have around. He plays most any infield position, and is better defensively at first or third than Martinez or Carpenter. He is capable of playing every day and carries a strong bat. I get the sense that Matheny will platoon him and Wong at second, especially with Jedd trimmed down. I don’t like that, and think Wong needs to play every day, but then they will need to get Gyorko some ABs if they go with the Martinez/Carpenter combo every day.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Eventually I think Garcia is the odd man out. However, the big advantage for him is he is a lefty bat.

It is good to know that we are covered should Carpenter end up being out for awhile with his tender back.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Today’s lineup. Rinse and repeat.

Fowler
    Pham
    Carpenter 3B
    Ozuna
    Martinez 1B
    Molina
    DeJong
    Wong
    Wacha

My changes would be to flip Carpenter and Pham, and Molina and DeJong. Otherwise not bad. I guess Matheny got over the “Carpenter can’t hit except in lead-off” thoughts.

Ozuna looked bad on Thursday. Seemed to not pick up the ball very well, but then Thor can do that to you.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tagging on to the Ozuna comment, Syndergaard did not phase JMartinez at all. He has that look of a guy that can just plain hit. In a way, his approach reminds me of Jesus Alou. Similar build, and Jose is a little bit herky-jerky and unsettled at the plate, although Alou was even more that way than Martinez.

But when you freeze-frame them at the point of contact, their head is right on the ball and they tend to square up most of the time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, CIF. In the following article yesterday, my take was that this lineup is clearly to optimize offense. This AM, Matheny reaffirmed this is his regular lineup, though it will change Sunday against a LHP.

Who’s on First for the St. Louis Cardinals?

Participant

Free

I understand the thinking, I just feel it’s a shame not to have JG in the lineup. He’s a quality infielder with a usually reliable bat. I’m afraid he’ll go stale on the bench. On the other hand I’m delighted to see JMartinez in there with his big stick.

Participant

2 k’s to start the game. Carp grounds out.

Participant

Paid - Annual

TOP of 1

Fowler – Wore the 0-4 collar in the opener on Thursday. Whiffs swinging on DeGrom’s 9th offering…..gotta like that!

Pham- Pham succumbs to the slider as Degrom registers K #2 here in the early going. DeGrom’s offspeed stuff is really elevated here in the early going.

Carpenter – Rolls it on the ground out to Gonzalez at 1st where he’ll take a step towards the bag, but then opt to feed his streaking hurler who’ll tap the bag to end the frame.

Cards 0 Mets 0

Participant

Wacha has control problems early.

Participant

Free

Wacha looks awful. Room service down the middle of the plate pitches. So far this team is like going to the dentist.

Participant

Paid - Annual

TOP of 2. Mets put a 2-spot on the board in the bottom of the 1st, compliments of a Todd Frazier 2-run double.

Ozuna – Hits a high chopper down to Frazier at 3rd and he’ll wing her across the diamond to AGon’s waiting mitt for the out.

Martinez – 3-4 in the opener and has now reached base in 28 straight games…. dating back to last year of course. Taps a slow chopper to 3rd where Frazier barehands it and fires….wide of 1st and the Birds have their first baserunner and hit of the day.

Yadi- Hits a high popper in back of 1st….AGon goes back as Cabrera races over from 2nd and it’s the met 2nd baseman who hauls it in while shading the sun just inside fair territory for the second out here in the Cardinal 2nd.

DeJong – Strikes out on the minimum number of tosses it takes to do so and Martinez is left stranded on the paths.

Cards 0 Mets 2

Participant

Free

Through 11 innings of baseball this team is a hot mess. I’m still wondering why they spent 14 million and pick 59 on a closer for a third place at best team. Why Carpenter is still on this team I don’t know. He cost them the two runs in the first and frankly continues to display his ineptness in the field.

Participant

That’s a bit harsh on Carpenter. But I do agree playing him at third is not a good idea.

Participant

Free

Sorry if harsh but he is a very subpar defender no matter the position. That negates his offense in many ways. He made a mistake as he was too far from the bag and should have tried the 5-4-3 DP. I’m still hoping they get going because the Mets aren’t really that good despite having good pitching.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 3. The Mets manage just a lone baserunner and no tallies in their half of the 2nd.

Wong – Foul tips strike 3 smack dab into D’Amaud’s catching mitt for DeGrom’s 4th whiff of the game.

Wacha – Goes down flailing on a 3-2 DeGrom heater for out #2.

Fowler – Doinks a rather odd one-hopper out to Frazier at 3rd who with a puzzled look on his face barehands it and flings it on over to Gonzalez at 1st to retire the side. But the pitch count for DeGrom is a rising as that’s 58 hurls now thru 3 frames.

Mets 2 Cards 0

Participant

Paid - Annual

TOP of 4. Wacha sends the Metropolitans scurrying on back to thrir dugout 1-2-3 for the first time today, keeping the deficit at 2-0.

Pham- Is issued the first DeGrom free pass on the day…..time to get this guy!

Carpenter – Lays a dandy bunt down the 3rd baseline where Frazier nabs it and fires to 1st……out! on a very close play. Pham checks into 2nd. Will the Cards challenge??

Ozuna – Hits in the air with authority to right where Bruce drifts back and he’ll haul it in about a step or two before the track for the out…..Pham will easily stroll on over to 3rd.

Martinez – Drills a base hit to left!! Bruce will scoop it up over near the land holding Martinez at 1st, but in comes Phammer with the first of what we hope will be many Redbird tallies of the day.

Yadi – Spanks a liner into left for a hit! The ball is hit too hard for Martinez to take any liberties past 2nd but the Birds are starting to solve the DeGrom equation….lets see E = MCsquared….”E” being DeGrom getting “EASY” to hit…..MC being Martinez & Carpenter….oops let’s gret back to the action shall we?

DeJong – Fouls out to Gonzo to extinguish the Cardinal threat.

Mets 2 Cards 1

Participant

Paid - Annual

And just like that D’Amaud takes Wacha to the bleachers to get their 2 run lead back.

Participant

Paid - Annual

TOP of 5. In the bottom of the 4th the only blemish besides the D’Amaud dongaroo was a soft DeGrom single to center……D’Amaud & DeGrom…..the only 2 guys in baseball who are too lazy to capitalize their last names.

Wong –

Wacha – Hits in the air to short right-center where Bruce will come flying in and over near short center to snatch it.

Fowler – It looked as if the Cardinal bats were coming to life, but this inning couldn’t have come much easily for DeGrom…..down in order they go without nary a tussle.

Mets 3 Cards 1

Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears as if we have nobody in attendance here this afternoon on the game thread so we’ll cease and desist with the PBP until tomorrow’s game. Let’s WIN this one for the Gipper!!!!

Participant

Free

I shut it off after another Wacha disaster inning.

Ugly looking club.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years