2018 Reg Seas Game #17 – at Cubs – Tue 4/17

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #17 – at Cubs – Tue 4/17

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

(Formerly Game #18)

7:05 p.m., RHP Michael Wacha (2-1, 5.52) vs. RHP Kyle Hendricks (0-1, 3.71), FS Midwest/KMOX

Update: With the Cubs cancellations on Sunday and Monday, the Tuesday starters are likely RHP Adam Wainwright (0-2, 5.06) vs. Tyler Chatwood (0-1, 4.91).

Participant

Paid - Annual

I went back and looked: outside of their head to head series the Cards and Cubs had identical records of 78-65. The Cubs won the season series 14-5. Enough said.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the weather like in Chicago for this game tonight? I watched part of the Reds/Brewers game in Milwaukee last night and you could see the snow in the parking lot.

Any chance this game is postponed too?

r/Rat

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think this series is psychologically important. Minimum need a split. This team has to believe they can beat the Cubs.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

You’d think both teams would want to get this game in. Game time temps in mid to high 30s but no rain/snow. Winds are light for wrigley at 8-10 mph

I really dont get it when i see mlb players look miserable in 40 degree weather. I understand baseball doesnt involve as much moving around as other sports that are sometimes played in cold weather but you can certainly keep yourself moving and loose.

Personally for me the only thing that bothered me in high school playing football and baseball during cold was the wind…besides that id that 45 over 95 100 times out of 100…

Participant

Free

I think it’s just that the cameras are trying to focus on guys looking like they are cold or whatever. It’s a lot like videos of hunting or skiing.

I just hope Matheny doesn’t try to run Bowman out there. It’s getting to be over-kill.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

The problem here is TV. With this cold, they should have moved this to a day game.

Participant

Is Lackey finished?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lackey is unsigned. If he announced his retirement, I missed it.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

the Reds should sign Lackey…wouldnt cost much and his leadership alone might help those kids

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, if being perpetually angry is considered leadership, then I guess so.

Last year, the Reds tried that 40-year old veteran thing with Bronson Arroyo. Since he was on the team, he had to pitch. A 7.35 ERA over 14 starts ensued.

They do currently have Homer Bailey, who is 32. Hard to believe this is 12th year in MLB. He didn’t pitch badly the other day, coming back from about four years of injuries.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

good to see Garcia starting and wong sitting. dejong slides down to 8th.
    was expecting a gyorko start until I saw it’s chatwood and his split vs lhb’s.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

chatwood looked sharp

Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 1. Chatwood dealing for the cubs. Wind blowing in big time here at Wrigley. Going to have to hit a scorching liner to left to shank one in the seats this evening.

Fowler – On 1-2, went fishing and came up empty on a terribly low pitch.

Pham – Whiffs gazing….and Chatwood has some serious movement on his heaves early on here.

Carpenter – Walks.

Ozuna – Hits a lazy fly to right where Heyward has it measured….and the ex-Brave/Card has it over near the line to retire the side.

Cards o
    cubs 0

Participant

3 k’s for Waino

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

and now he’s lost the zone… make it hurt boys

Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 2.

Jose Martinez – Walks

Yadi – Walks… Yadi’s first in 57 plate appearances. Yadi fouled off a few Chatwood offerings to earn the free pass.

Garcia – Stroked 2 long ones on Saturday in Cincy….do I hear 3 for tonight? Strikes out on a breaking ball.

DeJong – Goes down swinging for the second out here in the second.

Waino- And Chatwood emerges from The Marianna Trench in this inning to strike out the final 3 batters, as Adam watches strike 3 sail on by to retire the side.

Cards 0
    cubs 0

Participant

3 k’s for Chatwood after the walks

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

here we are again. need ya matt………

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

atta-boy

Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 3.

Fowler – Walks…nice way to start the frame. Chatwood already has amassed 48 pitches in this affair.

Pham – Walks on a low one and now let us not have an encore performance of the previous inning when Catwood walked the first 2 and then promptly whiffed the next 3.

Carpenter – Blasts a drive to deep right!!! And Hurricane Henry won’t prevent this baby from exiting the yard…oh my God it’s off the wall….Fowler will score with Pham having to apply the brakes at 3rd on the double and it’s 1-0 good guys….wow how did that not get into the seats!

Ozuna – You had to chuckle a bit at Marcell when he caught that short fly to left for the first out last inning, as he kept his bare hand in his pocket and merely flicked the ball from his glove to DeJong to keep warm….he’s kind of dressed like a member of the Dominican bobsled team here tonight…. grounds it out to Russell at short and he’ll keep Carpenter at 2nd but Pham will come prancing in with the second Redbird run as the cub shortstop will gun out Ozuna at 1st.

Martinez – Grounds out to short with Carpenter taking up new residency at 3rd.

Yadi – Grounds out to Bryant at 3rd to retire the side.

Cards 2

cubs 0

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

whew, Houdini escapes

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh Oh! Waino punches the first 2 cubs out with ease here in the bottom of the 3rd and now he fills the bsses to their capacity, compliments of 2 walks and a hit batsman…now Schwarber strolls ominously to the dish….dont point towards center Schwarber!!….strikes out to retire the side with no damage!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 4.

Garcia – Raps it routinely on the ground out to 2nd where Baez scoops it up and successfully executes the short toss over to Rizzo’s waiting mitt at 1st.

DeJong – Whiffs hacking….Chatwood’s 6th on the evening.

Waino – Skies it high in back of Baez at 2nd and the backpeddling cub 2nd baseman will have it to retire the side.

Cards 2
    cubs 0

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Big out for Wainwright, retiring Bryant with two on, two out and one in.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years