2018 Reg Seas Game #11 – vs. Brewers – Tue 4/10

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #11 – vs. Brewers – Tue 4/10

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

“If I don’t see anything wrong with”…”I don’t get your constant defense”….nice phrasing. No matte what I say, I am in defense of Matheny. You are right and I’m wrong, there is no middle ground especially because many others have pointed it out.

THERE is no over-usage is the point. You’re weak, pointless arguments about over-use are fledgling at best and, further, wide-spread and across all teams in baseball. The fact is people are hyper-watching their own teams these days and aren’t focusing on everything else going on in the sport around them. I mentioned things I don’t like about Matheny earlier today. I don’t like the use of Bowman AT ALL. He’s the 6th best reliever on the team in my opinion.

I’m out on any and all Matheny topics. You all win so say what you want. I won’t comment on another Matheny “topic”. Topic being the operative word because every topic regarding the major league team is steered by the selective few as a slight to the manager.

Add a FA pitcher? Ahhh, Matheny will abuse him.

Add a rookie to the roster? Ahhh, Matheny will never play him.

Game day thread? Ahhh, did we lose? Matheny’s fault surely.

It’s all that every single topic divulges into. Have fun with it. I’ll focus on the actual product on the field.

NJ315
    Participant

Matheny apologists like you can’t find any fault with him. It goes both ways.

PadsFS
    Participant

I don’t bring him up….and:

PadsFS

I can’t even be critical of Matheny when I want to be because of the noxious atmosphere surrounding every decision he makes. I don’t always defend him. I just choose to not say anything at all when he screws things up so as not to pile on.

Most of my criticism is based on who’s playing each day. Matheny takes a very short-term approach to the lineup rather than what’s best for the players long-term. He also does a lot of lineup construction based on “who’s hot” and how they’ve done against this pitcher in an insanely small sample. I also don’t like how he leaves starters in too long or how he plays to the ‘saves’ in the bullpen.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Good job with Fowler.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Pads even the FB announcers today where talking about how much the Cards bullpen has been over used. Its exhausting dealing with you people.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I think Bowman is overused. I think Matheny is a below average tactical game manager and an above average clubhouse manager. Let’s get that out there so there is no question where I stand.

BHC, I love how you use the term “you people”. I thought we were all fans of the Cardinals. I would also say that I feel Pads is not a Matheny backer. I think he is like me in that he gets tired of seeing all the negativity that has become the norm in any game the Cardinals lose. The funny thing about MLB baseball is that, with very few exceptions, every team in each and every year will lose at least 60 games.

I keep seeing how whenever a player succeeds, the player gets the credit. If a player fails, Matheny gets the blame about 1/2 the time. The rationale seems to be that Matheny should have know the player would fail. All hitters fail at least 2/3rds of the time. All closers fail some of the time. All pitchers allow runs to score. All fielders make errors. It is not all Matheny’s fault. He is handed a team to manage and he can only make decisions based on who is on the team at the time the game is played.

All that said, I do want a different manager. However, I am not going to pile on him everytime things don’t go in the Cardinals favor.

NJ315
    Participant

The problem with Matheny is that he is not flexible and he keeps trying the same things over and over when they fail. Of course the players are responsible for their performance. So why do they need a manager? If they fail is on them, if the succeed is on them. Matheny loves labels like, closer, setup man, lefty and righty matchups, and the biggest one of all his “gut” feelings. I do agree managers don’t have as much influence in winning or losing as many fans think and therefore blame them. But they are there for a reason so they do bear some responsibility. I don’t hate Matheny and I don’t blame for all losses but I do for some. I want a different manager to each his own. But I can and will criticize any manager when I feel he did something wrong even if after the fact.

NJ315
    Participant

As far of players failing that is the number one reason to have a manager to decide what situations are best suited for each player. Players will fail but managers should take the blame when they put them in no win situations. Look at Boone in NY he is failing terribly.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

You people was used for Matheny apologists.

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.