2018 Reg Seas Game #1 – at Mets – Thu 3/29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #1 – at Mets – Thu 3/29

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlos Martinez vs. Noah Syndergaard. 12:10 p.m. ET first pitch. FOX Sports Midwest and KMOX/CRN.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Way too early to start a baseball season. They are still having snow storms in the northeast.

But this is a sign of the times. Start in March, and end in November. Do all you can to make sure revenues are higher than last year. Cross your fingers that the weather cooperates.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No reason they could not schedule the first week or two for everyone in southern locales. NY in March is just asking for trouble.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

MLB did that for a couple of years as I recall. Quite a few years back, they scheduled the early season games in warm weather sites, but then went away from it.

It’s rare these days that MLB does anything that makes sense to me. All decisions are based on short-term revenues, with little-to-no value ever given to the big picture, legacy, tradition or fan considerations.

But they are not alone in that way of thinking. It’s pretty much a universal thought across most industries. I think it gets magnified in professional and big-time collegiate athletics because there is so much public interest in sports.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Out of curiosity I watched the weather forecast out of a New York CBS station last night. I know its 5-6 days down the road but the forecast for Thursday is sunny with a high of 61.

I’d certainly take that in late March in New York.

r/Rat

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Any predictions for the Cardinals this season? I do not see us as a serious contender this year, although the late Spring success is good see. But I think the starting pitching is too thin to hold up over the long haul, and am not a big fan of this bullpen shuffle approach they plan to take.

So I will go on record as seeing us finish in the low 80s for wins, say 82-80 or 83-79.

The plan to move relievers back and forth between Memphis and St. Louis does not bode well in my opinion. They say they are going to do it to keep fresh arms available at all times. So what is Stubby supposed to do when he has one of the “shuffled” players, not use him? Plus we are dealing with people, not robots or player cards from a table top game. I would think all of the moving around and changes in roles, locations, levels of play etc would make it tough for a guy to get into a groove.

Hopefully I am wrong and the club “goes crazy” and wins 97 games or so. With some better fundamentals than last year, they could add a couple of wins right there. But it just seems like they are running the show in the way Matheny always does things, which is micro-manage. You cannot do that and expect players to get the most from their talent.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Good point about the fundamentals Mike. I wonder if the baserunning blunders will cease this year now that Oquendo is back in town.

I think this is a team that could finish .500 or a team that could win over 90 games. Should be an interesting year. If they don’t at least contend for a wild card I think it will be a disappointing season.

r/Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is a predictions thread already where others have weighed in. I will bump it up so everyone can join.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

Rat!!! I’m happy to see you’ve resorted to the interwebs now for your weather reports : )

Ill be in section 306 @ citi hopefully not freezing, currently says high of 56 but 60% chance of rain

Participant

Free

Well hopefully the weather stays away and I get an early birthday gift of a Cards win…

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The season is upon us everyone. Everybody ready for this long marathon of a season? Everybody looking forward to it?

Here we go……..

r/Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am looking forward to it. If nothing else, I believe this will be a transition year where we start to get a feel for what our next core will look like. We’ve got a lot of young talent, particularly on the pitching side, that should begin to appear on the MLB roster this year and hopefully will start to flash promise that we could be a legit challenger to the Cubs and Brewers for the next 5 years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting to see JMart starting instead of Jedd.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the weather like at Shea today?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope I was wrong about MIkolas. Including his last appearance the 4 starters not named Martinez have this line:
    12 2/3 IP, 6 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 20 strikeouts

My only concern is that their endurance was not built up any more. With all the time allotted for spring training, no one pitched more than 5 innings one stint. It is one thing to have an 8 man bullpen because your starters aren’t going very deep into games later in the season, but it is another situation you are planning for lower pitch counts and higher relief usage for opening day and beyond, when you cannot stop after 9 innings and call it a tie.

P.S. If they have ties in Spring Training, shouldn’t it get you a point like in the old NHL days. Ha Ha

Participant

Citi Field, 123-01 Roosevelt Avenue, New York, NY
    Thursday
    Showers

°F | °C
    Precipitation: 40%
    Humidity: 82%
    Wind: 8 mph

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why the hell is Molina hitting 6th.Dejong 7th? WTF is Matheny smoking?Is everybody high there? First paying 14 million for a iffy closer and losing a high draft pick.Damn Damn Damn.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Molina 6th?

Participant

Free

Way WAY to easy first for Noah.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

complaining already?

Yadi was hitting in front of DeJong in ST too

Participant

Free

no complaining when stating FACTS

Participant

Free

error lets one in and Martinez gets out of a very shaky start but knowing him he will get better as game goes on

Participant

Free

Molina!!! gets 2 back on a 2 run HR

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How about that? Molina hit a two-run jack and DeJong fanned. Relax and enjoy the game.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years