2018 Projections thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Projections thread

Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Queue a 14NyquisT post in 3-2-1! 😉

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Martinez?
    Wilson?
    Godoy?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Has anyone ever seen CC and Ny in the same room? 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve always been more interested with what was going on at the big league level. I’ve never quite understood the obsession with the minor leaguers, especially at the lower levels, but that is just me. To each his own.

Participant

I think that Mercado might go to SPFD to get more playing time. Since the Redbirds weren’t too pleased with Ravelo in the OF, Valera should be at Memphis because of his versatility, which includes the OF.

Jenner will likely go to SPFD as the emergency catcher since he filled that role the last few seasons. Godoy has also filled that spot. McCarvel is also a possibility at the A levels. As I have said before there is a need for an emergency catcher since teams need to have two catchers available for their games. Unlike other positions, the organization has to have a catcher available for all levels. Say Molina is injured and Kelly goes to StL, Knizner may go to MEM, there will be a 2nd catcher already at SPFD. There’s a unique domino effect with catchers due to the urgency.

I don’t know what Caldwell offers a team besides his playing. He has been moved around so often but stays in the organization. He may be the one standing when the music stops…. there are only so many seats. If he doesn’t get a roster spot, he may still be around somewhere. The mystery marvel.

I like Helsley at MEM replacing Pearce. Although Hicks is a possibility since all is seemingly forgiven.

Anyone wishing to join the Breyvic Valera or Jeremy Martinez fan clubs ask the keymaster for details.

ps. I believe Valera stays on the 40-man roster despite so many contrary feelings on that.

Participant

cc…. Wilson is long gone.

gscott…. I truly enjoy following all the affiliates. That’s why they started making different colored automobiles. 🙂

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Only two of the six USA TODAY staffers polled (the two I have never heard of!) even pick the Cards as the second wild card – and they both predict a quick exit. The other four have the Cards missing the playoffs again.

Bob Nightengale has Flaherty as his NL Rookie of the Year favorite. Otherwise, the Cards are nowhere to be found.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/03/28/2018-mlb-predictions-world-series-mvp-cy-young/464182002/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FiveThirtyEight has the Cards at 86-76, which would take the 1st wild card. Their odds, which change daily, have St. Louis at 45% chance to make playoffs, 22% to win division and 3% to win World Series.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-mlb-predictions/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“In our numberFire Power Rankings, we have the Cardinals as the 10th ranked team in the MLB with a 46.2% chance to make the postseason. We project them to finish with a 85-77 record this season.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two of seven NY Newsday sports staffers have the Cards earning a wild card. The other five have the Brewers getting it instead. Two choose the Cubs to win the World Series.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

15 MLB Network Radio analysts weigh in. Just three have the Cards securing a wild card. Eight of them see the Brewers making it.

Participant

I am sure I probably missed this info, but has Trevor Rosenthal signed with anyone?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, but the Q would be a much better fit on the Former Cards thread, FWIW. Thanks.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Loved The Sporting News back in the day. From the time I was 15 or so, my parents would renew my subscription to TSN every year as my birthday present.

I was an APBA player, so like you Strat guys I used it a lot with APBA. Being a SABR member, I have online access to every single TSN. Sometimes I take a trip back in time and peruse the old issues online.

Participant

Not too much love for the Cards. Three years ago the Cards were the solid choice for the division crown. Now a wild card spot is a long shot. So much for the present strategy, the recent acquisitions and contract extensions. Brewers are a strong choice for second place leaving the Cards to fend off the Reds and Pirates.

The Cardinals would be the MLB’s surprise team if they get a wild card.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am sure I probably missed this info, but has Trevor Rosenthal signed with anyone?

No he is still a free agent. He probably won’t see any action this year to due to TJ surgery.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Despite a tough loss in Milwaukee, I see more optimism this season.

1) I think our offense will be better with the addition of Ozuna, and Martinez playing more regularly.
    2) The bullpen, once a glaring weakness, will be among the better in baseball, again despite game 5 against the Brewers.
    3) Our pitching in general, has a lot of depth. We will have injury replacements, trade chips, or both.
    4) Good and bad, most of our prospects are pitchers and outfielders in the high minors ready to be utilized by the big club.
    5) I know it is early, but in both spring training and regular season, I think our fundamentals, i.e. base running and fielding, etc. look more sound. Granted we were near the bottom of baseball last year in this category, so improvement was easier. The addition of Oquendo and Mcgee has helped quite a bit.
    6) The likelihood of another big trade at the deadline enhances with our depth. Perhaps not Archer or Donaldson, but likely someone else that is off the radar as of now.

I think 90 wins is possible now, barring many injuries. We should contend not only for the division, but the both wild cards. The key is to play head to head much better in our division than last year.

Participant

This is from PD’s Goold’s chat.
    This is insider info that will answer the many questions on the role Reyes will play when he returns.
    Alex Reyes is going to be prepped as a starter in the coming months — and that was always the plan for his rehab work and his lead-in into the season. It’s far easier for the Cardinals to get him ready to start and then make the decision that he should relieve vs. getting to a point where they need a starter and trying to get him ready for those innings. The goal remains the same for Reyes — if it’s pushed back two, three weeks because of the 60-day move. The Cardinals want the following things for the young righthander:

— To get around 100 innings this season.
    — To be available in September and, they hope, October.
    — To be ready to start and carry 140+ innings in 2019.

Those are the Cardinals Directions for Reyes’ 2018, and all the decisions will be geared toward reaching those goals. Cardinals POBO John Mozeliak recently a group of us that Reyes will be prepped as a starter, but that’s not a departure from the previous plan or even a tell of his role. That’s a schedule. That’s how his rehab assignment will go. He’ll get scheduled starts and he’ll build pitch count, and all of that. Just like usual. The Cardinals will make a decision on his role in late May when it’s clear what they need and what he’s ready to do. Mozeliak and his staff are still betting on the health of the rotation and the idea that Reyes could be a valuable hybrid who gets Luke Weaver a break, fills in for Michael Wacha if needed, or gets those swing innings from the bullpen.
    by Derrick Goold 12:24 PM yesterday

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals 41/1 and Cubs 10/1. Not that much difference. Pitching, pitching, pitching. If the Cardinals rotation and bullpen both start humming with all the talent that’s there, the odds could get even better.

Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years