2018 International Signing Period

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 International Signing Period

This topic contains 43 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m hoping someone here can help me. I was looking over the the international signing period from 2016 to 2018 and I’ve counted the Cardinals signed 27 guys in 2016, 39 in 2017 and 22 in 2018. Are those number accurate?

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Ascanio hasn’t got much ink so it’s hard to think of him as up and coming prospect “ is what mud wrote. That’s to be fair about it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Despite the great defense, Ascanio already has four full years in full-season A-ball because of his weak bat. He turns 23 in April and has yet to play at Palm Beach. Hard to see him having enough runway to make it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This could be interesting to monitor since it sounds like this kid may be close to big league ready at this time. I’m sure he would need some time in the minors but it would probably be upper minors.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Another Adolis Garcia situation?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Much younger than Garcia

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The answer is #4. Not bad.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Really interesting data from BA (subscribers). It shows MLB organizations have more scouts than ever before but the growth is almost all in one place. At the international level, in the last 20 years, they’ve gone from an average of two scouts to 17.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

How does that 17 number compare to the number of domestic scouts that teams employ?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Its really not a surprise for me seeing teams with large international scouting departments considering how big the geography is in the Caribbean and Latin America. The Cardinals alone have players from Mexico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, US Virgin Islands, and Cuba. And the market keeps expanding. Players are now being found in Bahamas, Bermuda, Brazil, Nicaragua and Curacao on top of the places I listed above.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, the average amateur scout count is 24.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards may be leaving a lot of cap allocation unused this year… Their hope with Sanchez is that he delays until July 2. I imagine a bigger offer can be made now ahead of time to help him delay.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

The Orioles just not at all interested in the international market? Seems like $5.95M is the entire year’s worth of money.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Baltimore pretty much ignored the international market in recent years, but with new leadership are getting back in. This year, they acquired extra money to try to get the Mesa brothers, who signed with the Marlins instead.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be nice when the Cardinals have their full allotment of international money available. I have always thought the international market was our best chance to acquire high end young talent since we will never be a tanker and have top 10 draft picks. The Gorman pick does look shrewd though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless the Orioles make an big offer, it seems like there is very little reason for Sanchez to sign before July 2nd. With all suitors in play, I would guess he could get a 2 to 3 million dollar bonus.

Also, are there any other big names that are, or could become elgible? I guess we’ll find out in the coming months.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not only is this bad news for baseball but we are going to keep seeing risky defections. Honestly, though, I never had faith in the Trump administration to uphold this agreement.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years