2018 International Signing Period

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 International Signing Period

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I did not see a thread for the 2018 International Signing Period, so here we go. The Cardinals have been linked to Cuban power-hitting third baseman Malcom Nunez and Venezuelan right-hander Jesus Rojas. This will be the second and final year with spending limitations:

Here is BA’s Top 50 rankings for International Free Agents (for subscribers): https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2018-top-international-baseball-free-agent-prospects/

Also, here is a link to BA’s NL Central International Preview (don’t know if this is behind a paywall, though): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/nl-central-2018-international-signing-preview/

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far, their spending spree has not born any fruit. Maybe by sheer numbers, and 2 Dominican teams they will hit the lottery.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Look at the difference in signings between the Padres and Cardinals

July 2 signings

Which team looks like they are most trying to improve?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did you know?

The Cardinals signed 40 international players during last year’s July 2nd period. How many did San Diego sign? Were they not trying as hard last year?

The Cardinals have two Dominican Summer League teams. San Diego has one. Are the Padres only trying half as hard?

With the four players reportedly signed this week, the Cardinals’ current DSL rosters, which allow a total 70 players, will be at 66.

If you could somehow present a case that the kids San Diego signed this week will one day become substantially better than the ones the Cardinals signed over the last year, you might have an argument that their organization is being more successful. In reality, however, we know little to nothing about almost all of these players.

The misplaced “trying” shot makes no sense.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding Nunez, playing 3rd and batting 3rd for dsl blue squad today.

Did not take long to put him to work.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Brian,

7 of the top 30 in the Padres #1 farm system came from the 2016 signing period where they went after 8 of the Top 40 international prospects and spent $60 million.

3 of the top 30 in the Cardinals middle-of-the-pack farm system came from the 2016 signing period where they went after two or three of the Top 40 international prospects and spent $16 million.

But if you believe in quantity over quality, then you are absolutely correct. Let’s just start four DSL teams.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What I believe is that different organizations have different strategies and it is wrong to suggest that any organization is not trying hard simply because they do not meet up to your personal standards.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Padres highly rated farm system is collectively only 11 games over .500 and just got a poor performance rating from a publication. This compares with 48 games over .500 for the Cardinal farm system. Seem that a number of their hot prospects are not performing up to par.

In spite of a number of fairly strong rankings of their farm system, their major league team has a very weak history.

I think it is a little early to write off the Cardinals big spending year. And I think our Latin program is in very good hands with Rodriguez.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So when the Cardinals are not facing restrictions next year, using this year as an example, they would have around 5 million dollars to spend. Could they spend it any way they choose, say on 2 or 3 players? I don’t believe they would though.

It seems like missing out on Gurriel jr, and Robert, and Maitan were an opportunity that could have enhanced their farm system.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The answer is yes, they could.

There are 30 organizations fighting for the same players. Not every team can win every one they try to sign in what is a very challenging market.

Two years ago, the Cards gave signing bonuses of almost $10 million to just five players – Machado, Oviedo, Victor Garcia, Arozarena and Adolis Garcia. To put that into perspective, that is more than they spent on the entire 2018 draft (38 players signed).

Time will tell who pans out and who doesn’t.

To date, the best hitter to ever come out of the Cards’ international program signed for $145,000. I am betting Oscar Taveras did not make the top international prospect lists that year. Their big name signee that year was a third baseman who got $1.1 million but flamed out fast – Roberto De La Cruz.

After De La Cruz, the aborted Wagner Mateo deal ($3.1 MM) and Carlos Martinez ($1.5 MM ) the next year, the Cards went seven more years without another $1 million signing – the aforementioned 2016 group.

Personally, I don’t attach a lot of significance to international prospect lists. How many scouts can see all of these kids spread all over multiple countries and accurately project their skills at 16 years old to the majors? That has to be really, really difficult with a lot of room for errors.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With penalties over, I wonder what strategy the Cards will have in July of next year? They had 2 full teams of pretty talented DSL players with successful results. Granted, some will come stateside in 2019. But it would seem there wouldn’t be a need for as large a number of players as this year. So maybe trading prospects for cap money and trying to go with a range 500k to 1.5 mill might be the way to go.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals signed 40 international players during last year’s July 2nd period. How many did San Diego sign? Were they not trying as hard last year?

Looks like San Diego signed 34 last year…which is probably under-reported, because according to your numbers, they way under-reported the Cardinals

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2017-team-by-team-international-signing-tracker/

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see what the Cards strategy will be in July 2019. I was thinking they could go for higher dollar singings, but maybe more lottery tickets is the way to go. Possibly 8 or more could play stateside in 2019.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Can we get a full list of those names? I’ve only counted 39:

Andanson Cruz OF
    Sander Mora R/R
    Jesus Orrechia C
    Daryl Del Villar SS
    Joerlin De Los Santos OF
    Leudy Pena OF
    Jose Zapata C
    Diowil Burgos OF
    Gustavo A. Rodriguez OF
    Luis Rodriguez C
    Francisco Hernandez 3B
    Gabriel Contreras RHP
    Miguel Yedis RHP
    Ronald Suarez RHP
    Luis Andujar 1B
    Miguel Maiz RHP
    Freddy Pacheco RHP
    Luis Garcia RHP
    Inohan Paniagua RHP
    Saniel Santana RHP
    Elvin De Jesus SS
    Nathanael Heredia LHP
    Claudio Ramirez OF
    Ludwin Jimenez RHP
    Hector De Los Santos RHP
    Darlin Moquete OF
    Luis Ortiz RHP
    Ramon Mendoza 3B
    Augusto Calderon RHP
    Martin Cordova RHP
    Derek Diaz RHP
    Julio Puello RHP
    Josue Ramirez RHP
    Luis Tena RHP
    Angel Cuenca RHP
    Dionys Rodriguez RHP
    Sebastian Tabata RHP
    Jhon Victorino RHP
    Edgar Escobar RHP

PadsFS
    Participant

MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez adds the Cardinals to the mix, noting that St. Louis has an estimated $1.85MM remaining in its pool

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I can’t link the MLB.com article. But that’s quite a bit of money to use.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As the Cards are still limited to the $300K to spend on any player, I’d imagine they won’t be able to keep up when the bogging is expected to be 7 figures. Hard to say, though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The subject is Cuban SS Yolbert Sanchez who has been cleared to sign starting Feb. 5. Here is the MLB article link.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yolbert-sanchez-cleared-to-sign-in-mlb/c-303000804?tid=151437456

The MLB writer, Jesse Sanchez, does not list the Cardinals in his story, which makes sense since they still cannot spend over $300K on one player.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And the Curse of the Wizard lives on. Still no top notch defensive SS anywhere in the entire system.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Actually I thought Perez was still considered a top notch defensive SS. Just no evidence he could hit the ball out of a major league infield.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, how did you draw that conclusion? Rayder Ascanio is a very good defensive SS, better than Delvin.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Okay, Delvin Perez and Rayder Ascanio. I haven’t seen either of them play, on the field or in film. Perez can hardly be considered even ‘hopeful’ of reaching the major leagues any more. Ascanio hasn’t gotten much ink, so its hard to think of him as an up-and-coming prospect.

PadsFS
    Participant

The MLB writer, Jesse Sanchez, does not list the Cardinals in his story, which makes sense since they still cannot spend over $300K on one player.

Of course. I forgot that it doesn’t reset with the new year but at the next draft deadline.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Ascanio is an excellent fielder but mud is right that he can hardly be considered a prospect as he doesn’t hit, is going to be a free agent at the end of the year and will be 23 in March.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be fair, this is what mud first wrote. The word “prospect” was missing.

“Still no top notch defensive SS anywhere in the entire system.”

The best combination is Tommy Edman, IMO.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.