2017 MLB Game #149: Cards at Cubs Sun Sep 17

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #149: Cards at Cubs Sun Sep 17

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I agree. But he still made some questionable bullpen decisions. We need better players no question about it but he’s ability to put players in the best situation to succeed is still bad and that’s could hurt a better roster too.

Participant

Free

Bowman should not be pitching in what’s basically an elimination game. He’s been awful since May and even worse recently.

Participant

Free

Problem is MM is part of the bunch of knives comment because he is not a good manager at all

Participant

MM is a good manager. Look at the hand he’s been dealt.

Participant

Free

NO MM is not a good manager he is a way below average manager

Participant

No good manager brings in Bowman or brings in a lefty to face Jay when the season is on the line. He got away with the Jay move because Carp made a very good play. He is part of the problem.

Participant

Free

bc:

Earlier you said that all the pieces were in place, they just needed to perform better. Now you say that Matheny was dealt a bad hand. So which is it? Is the front office at fault or is Matheny at fault. Somebody is responsible.

Participant

The way they’ve performed, it’s turned into a bad hand.

Piscotty
    Grichuk
    Peralta
    Diaz
    Carpenter (BA)
    Broxton
    Cecil
    Siegrist
    Oh
    Waino (injury)
    Leake
    G.Garcia

It’s been a rag tag season.
    90% players, 10% manager.

Participant

Free

When the manager doesn’t put players in position to be successful that is 100% on him and he is terrible at that

So this season has not been 90% on players more like 75% on a clueless manager who needs to GO!

Participant

Free

This season is not 75% on the manager. The players still play the game so they have the most responsibility for how the season ends up, but that is the same with every team. The manager IS responsible for putting the players in the best situation to them to succeed and, most importantly, for the team to succeed.

I have my issues with MM and think it is time for a change but he is not clueless. Maybe stubborn? I still don’t understand how Fowler plays CF over other players whose metrics show they are better in CF. He should be in LF.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The manager can certainly have an impact on a team, there is no doubt about that, however, the front office has a bigger impact in my opinion. Our front office did not give our manager enough weapons to utilize this year and they need to make amends this offseason, plain and simple.

Participant

Free

Fowler has never played anywhere but CF. I don’t mind shifting him off center in the off-season, but it would be stupid to make him play LF now.

Participant

Free

Maybe he hasn’t played LF in the majors but he has played it before. I would rather have the best defensive CF in CF. That is not Fowler. Mags Sierra had only played 60 innings in LF prior to this year and that was in winter ball. He shifted off of CF so that Fowler would stay in CF and it’s pretty well discussed in the past that Sierra’s defense was major league ready.

Participant

Onyx – 75%? You have to be kidding, right? Don’t let your hate get in the way of good judgement.

Participant

Free

I don’t think he has ever played LF in his life forsch31.

Sierra’s bat is not ML-ready and Pham seems to be hurt. Grichuk hasn’t played CF all year either and his bat is a mess too. Fowler is probably the best option for now imo.

Participant

Your love shows at 10%

Participant

Sorry NJ, but when someone puts the blame 75% on the manager for this season, it’s pretty sad.
    On the other hand, these forums also bashed Tony brutally, so I guess it’s just something
    people have in them that has to get out.

Hope you’re having a fine day, NJ, filled with happiness and joy.

Participant

BC, I don’t agree with 75% that is utterly ridiculous. But your 10% is wrong too. If 10% was all the manager is good for why have them? MM is horrendous a putting the players in the right situation to succeed, that hasn’t change in 6 years and his record regressing shows he hasn’t learned.

Recent examples:
    Bringing Bowman in.
    A lefty against Jay
    No lefty against Heyward

Two backfired and one was saved by a nice play by Carp.

I do not hate Matheny. I don’t like his managing style. TLR on the other I truly did not like the man and was so so with his managing style.

Participant

Free

I am not saying that Sierra should be playing there, now. That is merely an example of how I don’t understand Fowler always playing CF. Pham, Grichuk and Sierra are all better in CF than Fowler and one of them should be playing there when they are in the lineup.

Fowler’s time in LF is VERY limited but he did play there in the Arizona Fall league. Pham and Sierra were both primarily CFs in the minors and had to learn to play the corners. Fowler can, too and the team won’t suffer.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Actually, over the years, TLR was generally treated pretty fairly on this forum overall. As I recall, you weren’t around here much, if at all in those days, bccran. I sense that perhaps some of your perspective on others was developed on other forums where decorum is different.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years