2017 MLB Game #100: Cards vs. Rockies: Tue Jul 25

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #100: Cards vs. Rockies: Tue Jul 25

This topic contains 55 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If this was a good year for our bullpen, we’d be 6 games out in front of everybody else in our division.
    The talent it there. With Cecil added, this should have been the best bullpen in the majors. Nice to see Rosenthal with a save last night. Still haven’t given up on him. He might still be having growing pains. There’s nothing that says a 27 year old kid automatically reaches professional maturity at a certain age. It happens when it happens.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Unlikely as regulars. Like it or not, Fowler is here 4 more years. People need to get used to that idea.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Nice to win the kind of game we usually lose. I would be okay if we decide to move on from some of the core of this club and move toward the future. If we could get some good controllable talent for Carpenter, Lynn and Oh, not to mention Grichuk, Siegrist, Bowman, and possibly Martinez, I say go for it.

Lynn would be tough to lose this year, as he is pitching well and is a workhorse. I’d love to work a deal for him and jettison Leake and Fowler, but we would have to absorb a lot of financial commitment. And we need to see what we can get from Dexter, along with Piscotty. Both have been a bit sabotaged by injury this year, but maybe down the stretch or next year they’ll bring some good value. Piscotty should, although given hindsight the club undoubtedly wishes they had not done either deal.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

That’s where my trading pham bit came from… Along with our depth.

Front offices don’t like admitting mistakes and will work around them rather than fix them.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler brings valuable intangibles to the team, IMO. He brings the veteran presence that adds balance to all the newbies that are getting tryouts at the major league level. Also, I am under the impression that he brings mellowness, or good nature, or something else that makes the environment in the clubhouse better. His offense is on pace to produce 24 HR with 500 AB although I’m not sure anyone can tell us why that is the case since he’s never hit 24 HR before. I can’t explain why his range in CF seems to be lacking, but all in all, I kind of like watching him play there anyway. I try not to pay too much attention to what a player gets paid because, after all, ‘the inmates are running the asylum’, and that’s something we just have to live with.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good comments mudville. And you never know how things will work out. I was riding the bike this morning and thinking about what I said on the Fowler and Piscotty deals, and then thought that who knows, maybe a year or two from now those deals will look good.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years