2017 MLB Game #100: Cards vs. Rockies: Tue Jul 25

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #100: Cards vs. Rockies: Tue Jul 25

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lance Lynn (8-6, 3.30) vs. Jon Gray (3-1, 6.19) 7:15 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest and MLB Network

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bader in center, batting seventh. I like throwing him into the fire.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Makes me seriously think something will happen here. Probably multiple things… And yes injury etc but still…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who would have thought on opening night that this would be a lineup at any point this season??

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Adding to that: the only of we have with value right now is playing in left tonight… And bader has been playing in left all year.

Also possible bader is the one dealt I suppose…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader has actually played almost all his innings this year in CF, and the majority of his minor league career as well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had tweeted about this same thing. Game #100 and three of the eight starting position players opened the season in Memphis with a fourth on the bench.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Had a moment… Bah lol

Have no idea why I was thinking that. I know he’s a bit of a tweener… I think the sierra/mercado situation in springfield was in my mind.

Ah well… Lol

Either way… Still makes sense at least to me that he would be up if we trade pham anyway. What is the difference if it is a few days sooner?

…And yes I think pham is likely gone at this point.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Trade Pham? No way, unless we are in full “sell” mode. Grichuk maybe, but if they trade Pham, they may as well start unloading guys like Lynn, Oh, maybe Carpenter as well and stock up for the future.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Yes.

I think pham is part of a bigger deal. Tampa would probably love lynn and pham as an example of the price was right.

NJ315
    Participant

Lynn is as good as gone. I advocate trading Carpenter but I doubt they will. Pham, DeJong, Grichuk, and Rosenthal should be available also.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I would also add that pham is a perfect example of a player the other team could control for 2 more years to justify high acquisition costs. For a team like tampa if they want to make deals from their minors that is a major consideration.

Trading for controlled cost players is in vogue and prices are high —

And we have some with value. Pham is just this example. Wacha if you think he is a starter etc.

NJ315
    Participant

Waino to the DL. Mid-back tightness.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

I’m not sensing a big trade by the deadline just based on comments by team owners/management. Lynn maybe, possibly Oh. Doubt they’ll part ways with any starting position players. They are definitely thinking long term, not playoffs, so they’ll evaluate performance at the end of the season then adjust. May lose some opportunities now, but they’re willing to ride the season out with the current roster. Could be completely off base with that assessment, but we’ll see where we’re at in a couple weeks.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader with the hustle, even though he was called out. Good to see.

Also, I believe someone (maybe Pads) referenced this before but Bader has a career 1.289 OPS against lefties. That’s just insane. Lest you think it was just him beating up on low minors pitching…he’s at .403/.469/.889 for a 1.358 OPS this year. If nothing else, he should be one heck of a platoon bat.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two years? Pham isn’t even arbitration eligible for two years. The team getting him would have him the rest of his career basically.

Now, that’s potentially valuable but also potentially valuable to St Louis too. Unless they’re blown away by an offer, I think it would be a mistake to trade Tommy. I would definitely drop Grichuk first, and probably Piscotty too (who may have more trade value). Pham could get injured and make the wait look dumb but there’s also the upside that he’s a 3-4 WAR guy for the next three years for dirt cheap. Besides, if you wait til next year he’s still at a good age and cheap and can be traded if the team is doing poorly then too, and probably for more.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Pham is more in the category of players we want to acquire, not trade. I would be real surprised if he is dealt unless premium prospect(s) coming back are part of the deal. If that is the case, most likely other players will be involved as well and we would be signaling to the fans the old “wait ’til next year” slogan.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Derrick is taking some liberty with Grichuk, but still…

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Or he is like gyorko having a career year and you sell high and use your depth.

I dont know which is the case. I do know if tampa or the yankees or the red sox want him and brought out some big guns you have to listen and likely deal him.

Depth in a down year and lack of movement creates stagnation. We have a crap-ton of similar outfielders and something like 6-8 more on the way with no room.

You deal with that with trades and you cant just blindly deal youth.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Ehh Bader looks at strikes and swings at balls not impressive bat at all

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Jeez man ever been nervous before?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Disappointing inning there…the first two runners on and then three straight K’s. Would have been nice to build a cushion.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Loved listening to Edmonds talk about how the cut off outfield grass impacts the ball

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Double play. I hate this team

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lynn is gassed, but looked really good entering this inning. Possibly his last start as a Cardinal and he did well.

Unfortunately, the game will probably be tied so he likely won’t be in line for a win.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.