2017 Arizona Fall League

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 Arizona Fall League

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is the complete list for those who do not know:

Pitchers (four):

Alcantara
    Hicks
    Arturo Reyes
    Lucas

Position players (four):

Knizner
    Nogowski (taxi-squad)
    Sosa
    Mercado

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Baseball America:

“The Indians still see Francisco Mejia as a catcher, but he’ll play the infield in the AFL.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-afl-rosters-glendale-desert-dogs/

Mejia is the #1 catcher in the minors, according to BA’s rankings. His organization is getting creative by having him learn third base this fall.

Too bad the Cardinals don’t have anyone like that…

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would like to have had Adolis Garcia or Alvarez and Morales instead of Nogowski, and Reyes.

Glad to see Knizer and Mercado on the list.

I guess Alcantara will not debut in St Louis this year.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    PadsFS
    Participant

This league starts on October 10th correct?

I’m looking forward to seeing Knizner and Alcantara.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, October 10. The link to our preview article is in the post just above.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

Are there any available listening or viewing options for the AFL games?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I haven’t heard of any changes for this year, but in the past, there was no radio of daily contests and just two games on TV, the Fall Stars Game and the title game.

As an aside, I will be there working the week of Fall Stars again. As in the past, we will run daily game recaps here at TCN, focusing on the Cardinals playing in the AFL.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

Thanks, Brian!

14NyquisT
    Participant

I found a podcast (1:07) that deals with the AFL that is quite interesting if you don’t know too much about how the league is put together, how players are chosen by position, and there is a more in-depth discussion about the players that the Cards are sending, and why.

https://redbirddaily.com/ptbnl-arizona-fall-league-preview-5559/

14NyquisT
    Participant

If you happen to check the podcast out be patient at the beginning. They play a broadcast of an O. Taveras home run that takes maybe 15-29 sec.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BaseballHQ has a good read on all the AFL teams, highlighting Knizner and Alcantara.

http://www.baseballhq.com/content/minors-2017-arizona-fall-league-preview

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sandy Alcantara gets opening day start for Surprise. Free daily game recaps to be posted here at TCN.

14NyquisT
    Participant

In case anyone didn’t see the AFL schedule it’s at:

https://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/schedule/tentative.jsp

bccran
    Participant

Seems like the Cards have made some position changes too –

Kelly – 3B to C
    DeJong – 3B to SS
    Piscotty – 3B to OF
    Tuivailala – SS to P

bccran
    Participant

Does anyone know why Nogowski was picked? As a first baseman at Florida State and so far in the minors he hasn’t shown much power for a corner infielder/corner outfielder type. As a professional he has 15 home runs in over 1,000 at bats. 24 years old at AA this season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In the 2017 Arizona Fall League opener, five Cardinals saw action, including losing pitcher Sandy Alcantara and outfielder Oscar Mercado, who had two hits and an RBI.

https://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-arizona-fall-league-notebook-101017/

bccran
    Participant

Interesting that Mercado was hitting 3rd in the lineup. Good sign.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I also named Mercado TCN’s Springfield Player of the Year today. Check out my article on the home page.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Derek…. it was amazing what Mercado did for his career in ’17 and climbed back into the organization’s top level of prospects. However, you know deep down Knizner was the team’s POY. That’s all I’m going to say because Oscar had a great year too.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I disagree completely. I saw Springfield play on a regular basis and even consulted with their manager about the Player of the Year. It was remarkable what Knizner accomplished in his half-season, but he was simply not in Double-A long enough to receive more consideration. While he was up-and-down offensively in the second half, Mercado was still a valuable asset in all facets (baserunning, defense, and leadership in the clubhouse, particularly to help the Latin prospects with English).

If I chose again, Mercado would still be my choice.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

It was remarkable what Knizner accomplished in his half-season, but he was simply not in Double-A long enough to receive more consideration.

Knizner was at Springfield two and a half months. Not long enough?

I saw Springfield play on a regular basis…

I watched every single Springfield game.

While he was up-and-down offensively in the second half, Mercado ….

As I said before, I saw every single game. Go back and look at the game logs AND check the stats. Mercado was up and down offensively…. more down than Knizner the for the second half of the season, for sure. Knizner got off to a slow start the first few weeks at Springfield, but after the first week of July, something caught fire. Stats show his BA, OBP, and Slugging percentage were consistently much higher than Mercardo’s.

Finally, go back and reread the weekly Springfield Cardinals updates that you wrote. Knizner was listed week after week on your “Who’s Hot List… and not ever once on the “Who’s Not” List. Did I imagine that I saw Mercado there once or twice?

However, you know deep down Knizner was the team’s POY.

14Nytquist, I think you got it right there!Both player had a good year, but I think Knizner had the better one!

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The big separator, though, Knizner wasn’t mentioned once when I asked around about a Player of the Year to scouts and coaches. The only two were Mercado and Adolis Garcia.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

It was remarkable what Knizner accomplished in his half-season, but he was simply not in Double-A long enough to receive more consideration.

Interestingly enough, my handy date calulator (https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html) determined that Knizner played at Springfield 82 days, but was not at double A long enough for consideration…. yet Arozarena was at Palm Beach for 87 days and was named Palm Beach Player of the Year.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

The big separator, though, Knizner wasn’t mentioned once when I asked around about a Player of the Year to scouts and coaches. The only two were Mercado and Adolis Garcia.

As I said, go back and reread the weekly Springfield Cardinals updates that you wrote each week. Knizner was listed week after week on your “Who’s Hot List… and not ever once on the “Who’s Not” List.
    When the games and the season are over, the stats tell the story of how players have performed… without showing preference or prejudice. That is how I will choose my players of the year. I will let the numbers tell the story, because, bottom line, they are the facts that can’t be disputed, unlike personal opinions. All in all, there were many of players at Springfield who played remarkably. It is my opinion that you missed your mark in calling the player of the year … or maybe you should re-title the article to “Scouts and Coaches Player of the Year”.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.