Your most favorite Mike Shannon story

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Your most favorite Mike Shannon story

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In honor of our beloved Mike Shannon, I think we should share our favorite Mike Shannon story. It doesn’t have to be about him, It could be a story he told during these last 50 years.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have shared a couple in the Friday Cubs game topic. But I’ll share one more. I cannot remember his name, but there was a pitcher back in the 60’s I think who had something in his contract about walks deducting from his salary. Well, he came up with the idea to plunk anyone when got to 3-0 or similar count. From Shannon’s description he was a very tall pitcher.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like the story Tim McCarver tells of Mike playing right field on the ball Mickey Mantle hit to win game 3 of the 1964 World Series. There is a video of it and Tim is talking about it, as Mick hit a Barney Schultz knuckleball into the upper deck in Yankee Stadium.

Tim goes, “And what is Mike Shannon doing?” Shannon was climbing the fence attempting to catch the ball. Tim is like “Mike, that ball is 100 feet over your head?!! ”

In ’85 I was listening to a Cardinal-Cub broadcast and Jack Buck tells Shannon, “Say something to make those Cub fans mad.” And Shannon says in a dead panned tone, “They’ll never repeat.” The Cubs won the division in ’84 as everyone knows, and almost went to the World Series.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

Many years ago Mike was announcing and a Cardinal reliever came in and got clobbered. Mike said, well that guy came in and threw a gas of canoline on the fire. Vintage Mike.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Years ago, in a game against the Cubs at Wrigley, the Cubs made an error and Mike said…..”There’s the Cubbies that we all know and love….”

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Shannon fans need to watch this youtube video. Shannon gets roasted via impersonation by Craig Hawksley at a baseball writers dinner.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy 82nd birthday, Mike!!!

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Many extra innings into the middle of the night way back in the 80’s?, I remember Jack saying Mike I will take it from here. As I recall Mike was really scuffling with the english language at that point of the night. Mike was done for the night. Sure gonna miss that man’s voice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years