Yelich Out For The Season

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yelich Out For The Season

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 6 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I thought this might deserve its own thread. Make it more visible for members that might have missed it.

Yelich fouled a ball off his knee in Miami tonight and broke his kneecap. Brewers confirm he is done for the season. Hate to see that happen to one of MLB’s stars. But it does put our upcoming series this weekend with the Brewers into a different perspective now.

r/Esteemed Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Great ballplayer. Huge loss for Milwaukee.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow, that’s a tough spot for Milwaukee. They’ve fought back into it a bit but losing Yelich is a bit of a crusher for them. You feel sorry for them, but good teams take advantage of the opportunity they have in front of them. Both the Cards and Brewers have that shot (for good or bad), so we’ll see what they end up doing with it.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Never mind the implications this will have on the team and the standings… what a terrible loss Yelich must be feeling. He’s a great player and the face of the NL.

The Brewers and all of baseball will miss him.

Its a accidental tragedy. I know he hits us hard…. but still.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When playing a team, I want their best against our best. I don’t want any excuses. But I will say we have had our share of injuries. I felt like coming into the season we might have one of the best rotations in baseball. Well, Flaherty and Hudson have exceeded my expectations, Wainright has ben all right, MIkolas disappointing, and Wacha bad. I thought CMart and Reyes would make contributions to the rotation, but that hasn’t happened.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

C27, I doubt that I’m in the minority here, but since mid season, I often forget about Reyes and the poor luck he’s had. That doesn’t mean they should give up on him, just likely can’t be counted on for anything moving forward unfortunately. TNSTAAPP……

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate seeing this. Yes, it might benefit the Cards this weekend but this is bad for baseball. He was on track for his second MVP in a row and is such a great player. I hope he is ready for spring training next year.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CFICT, I agree that if Reyes does anything, it will be a bonus. It just seems like such a waste of talent to have all these injuries.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW, I could see Yelich signing a mega-millions contract this coming offseason, and reverting back to his Miami stats of a BA of about .280 and an OPS of about .780-.800 in 2020. I think he’ll average 15-20 HR over the length of his contract. Lately, this has been what happens with players who have other worldly stats, then sign a huge contract. I watched part of the Cubs/Padres game last night. Manny Machado is clearly not the same player that he was in Baltimore. I can’t imagine what changed after he signed his $300M contract with the Padres.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, real tough blow for the Crew. You never want that sort of thing to happen. I am sure the other guys on that club will rally around him and pledge to win the division – use the injury as a motivator in other words. But talent usually wins out, and it is an uphill climb.

If we win 2 of 3 over the weekend it is about over for them, although the wild card may still be in the picture.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years