Yadi’s Absence

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadi’s Absence

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Would be interested in what people feel about Yadi’s absence. The future HOFer is a team leader on the field, in the dugout, and in the clubhouse. I feel for him having “sore knees”, but IMHO he should be with the team. Plus, it’s part of what he’s being paid for. He could be mentoring the younger catchers, plus he’s an encyclopedia of knowledge about hitters from around the league.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I feel that way too. Without trying to pry into his private life, I think he has had personal problems since before the season.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Midlife crisis, imo. Watching the sun set on the life he has known.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

He was ejected Saturday from a Puerto Rico basketball game, which he’s part owner of, for kicking a basketball. Still looking over weight. Probably still disinterested in baseball like he was when he was with the team, or sure seemed like it.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have thought that the recent losses were largely due to not having Yadi behind the plate. I think that, if we make a run at it in the second half of the season, Yadi will turn it on and be a big contributor. I’m looking forward to having him back. And, I agree that he’s probably dealing with a midlife crisis. He was so committed, so dedicated to his game, and the game. And it’s all ending. He’ll eventually be fine. After all, life begins at 40, or so they say.

bccran
    Participant

One of the surprising things is that he’s doing this with Albert on the team, and with Waino looking for his catcher.
    Legacy battery.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess there is the possibility he doesn’t get along with Marmol. No evidence that I know of, but a plausible explanation for bolting with his pals in the dugout.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I agree that he should be with the club. It is odd that he has stayed away, and nothing has been said about it. I assumed he was given a leave of absence given his contributions to the organization – he has a lot of goodwill.

I hope he is back soon and finishes strong. And if he is going through some personal issues, I wish him all the best in getting through them and moving forward in life. I have been there, and at that same age too.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinal team and it’s fans have to get used to not having Yadi on the team. I believe his absence, at this stage of his baseball career, is a good thing for all concerned. I would prefer that he not return, as it’s time to move on. But what a wonderful career it was for Yadi. Our team may not find another catcher of his excellence for another 50 years. Thanks Yadi!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s a shame. Obviously something more than bad knees going on. Personally I’m ready for him to come back but it is obvious, we need to find a suitable replacement. First time in a while that the Cardinals haven’t really had a catcher ready to go when the veteran was nearing his end with Cardinals. The ones we have I don’t consider that.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is it premature to write off Herrera? His 20 MLB PAs was a fizzle, but not unexpected for a player with about 30-40 games worth of AAA experience. On the other hand, he hit .231 in his full AA season.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is it premature to write off Herrera? His 20 MLB PAs was a fizzle, but not unexpected for a player with about 30-40 games worth of AAA experience. On the other hand, he hit .231 in his full AA season.

Absolutely premature. Herrera was one of the youngest players in the Texas league last year (I looked it up and I believe he never faced a pitcher younger than him the entire season) and despite the low average, had an overall above average line.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Put another way, does Mo go all in to acquire a stud catcher between now and opening day 2023, or continue to muddle, and hope, as he waits for Herrera?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Molina seems done and at any rate this was his last season. Need to go get veteran starting catcher to hold the fort for a couple of seasons.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Put another way, does Mo go all in to acquire a stud catcher between now and opening day 2023, or continue to muddle, and hope, as he waits for Herrera?

I don’t see it. The offense is pretty good and the defense is very good (depending on alignment) so would it really kill them if one spot is a bit of a hole? I would think upgrading the pitching staff would be the primary priority, but perhaps they believe strongly in the next wave of Libby, Thompson, Graceffo, McGreevy, Thomas, etc.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The FO is in a tough position. If they go get a good catcher it would mean that they feel Yadi won’t be back or he won’t be the Yadi of days gone by. Is the 90 day IL an option?

He is probably having a good time at home with not much motivation to get back to work accept the farewell visits to all the other teams on the away schedule.

Who knows what’s going on in his head?

bccran
    Participant

He should forfeit his compensation while he’s away. He isn’t being paid $10,000,000 to relax and enjoy himself with family and friends in Puerto Rico.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

If you’re a catcher and your knees go I imagine that thats about it. I could imagine him somewhere on staff or coaching somewhere.Hes obviously made himself alot of money by now
    He has to be replaced but a hitting catcher isn’t in sight yet
    Homegrown or buy one is the question. I don’t really care about the last sunset reunion thing anymore and maybe hes had enough too

Personally I’d like to see us close out our season with the division title. If Yadi doesn’t want to be there I don’t want him there. Its a team thing.
    Go Cardinals!

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

My plan A would be Contreras. Hererra plan B. Yadi will be back and throwing guys out soon.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Would hate for his legacy to be that he abandoned his team in his last year on the field. Something the HOF committee should consider, IMO. Can’t be in his head, but maybe he feels he’s not performing at Waino’s level. Knee inflammation isn’t a plausible excuse any longer after this length of time and away from the team in the PR. Would like to see MO asked that question directly in his next interview – what’s really going on?

bccran
    Participant

If he has sore knees, why is he playing basketball?

Oliver
    Participant

Free

He wasn’t playing basketball he owns a local team. But there is no reason for him to be in Puerto Rico…none. He should be with the team period.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The way the FO has handled Yadi is embarrassing to the team. Sure he has a great history, but that should not excuse him from being here with the team rehabbing and helping the young players with advice. Maybe its best just to move on from this point and let him retire to the Hall of Fame.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The way the FO has handled Yadi is embarrassing to the team.

Yes, to put it lightly. If there was a good answer for it, it would’ve been provided a while back. Obviously, there’s no good answer. Glad the team pays attention to details without fail across the entire roster, like benching the guy (who hustles more than anybody on the team) mid-game for an isolated transgression of not running out a routine fly ball. It’s what I’ve come to expect from the team led by the clothes-less emperor.

bccran
    Participant

He was playing basketball and was thrown out of the game because he slammed the ball on the floor. Went jaw to jaw with the ref. There are videos of it online.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.