Would You Make This Trade??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Would You Make This Trade??

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

I wasn’t talking about his weaknesses, 14. There are certainly those too. Just talking about where he has found some good players without having to dilute our prospect pool to get them.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll add Beltran, Berkman, Peralta, Holliday to the pile of contracts where Mo “spent” and got a very good return. There are plenty of examples where the Cards FO did a great job and that does include trades. Knowing when to cut bait has been a place where Mo is particularly savvy. It’s just harder to pawn off a Fowler or Cecil nowadays. In fact, I recall reading one of those “GM Confidential” things a few years back that teams were hesitant to trade with St Louis especially because they’re so shrewd in dealing.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The four players I mentioned were FA signings. I guess agents are better at working around that savviness and shrewdness that you speak of. Hmmmm…. schrewdness is a word. note: savviness isn’t.

Those two that we need to “pawn” off. Gigantic blunders. And these are recent acquisitions effecting today’s team. That money that’s going down the drain could have been used to pad the payroll wisely. Its no wonder that Pham blasted the FO.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trade #2…would you make this trade??

Cardinals Get:

SS/2B Gleyber Torres

Yankees Get:

RHP Jack Flaherty
    RHP Jordan Hicks
    LHP Austin Gomber

The Cards give up three young, quality MLB arms for a potential star middle infielder who would also be Cubs tormenter for years.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh, ell no.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

“Dejong is a better defender than Bregman, so I’m sure he (Bregman) would stay at 3B.

On your doubt that my proposal would be enough, Bregman will be expensive even in arbitration, and the Astros certainly aren’t going to let Altuve or Correa go. They’re going to need to spend in free agency to restock the rotation. From a cost standpoint, Martinez is a steal for good production. You get him for up to 5 years at known prices (will be cheaper at those years than Bregman at 4 years, in all probability). Kelly is a known commodity. Montero is a top 5-10 prospect for us and likely top 100 overall by next year. Those three are extremely valuable. Fernandez is a lotto ticket.”

Bregman was a SS and only moved to 3B because of Correa. I have little doubt Bregman would be a better SS than DeJong on a full time basis.
    I don’t think Houston would trade Bregman at all, even with the financial obligations you talk about, but if they did they will get WAY better offers than C Mart, Kelly, Montero. They’d probably be trying to get C Mart, Flaherty, Hicks, Kelly at least. Bregman is 24, with 4 years of team control, with a 7+ WAR (4th in MLB), .295/.401/.553 with 50 2B and 30 HR. There is no way they are coming off MVP caliber player without recieving a major haul!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bregman was a SS and only moved to 3B because of Correa. I have little doubt Bregman would be a better SS than DeJong on a full time basis.

Bregman is a career -2 DRS and -7.4 UZR/150 at 3B. The SS numbers are ghastly. You don’t want him at SS. Doesn’t mean he’s not a good player, just not a good defender.

Dejong is career 13 DRS and +5.8 UZR/150 at short, learning the position as he goes. In short (no pun intended), he’s a better bet to be the guy to stay at short.

Still would be a great problem to have.

14NyquisT
    Participant

25…. I wouldn’t trade those three for Babe Ruth.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I agree with NyquisT. Flaherty, Hicks, and Gomber should be untouchable.

There is a young core that I would like to keep around:
    Wong
    DeJong
    Bader
    McNeil
    Nunez
    Montero
    Gorman
    C. Martinez
    Gomber
    Gant
    Flaherty
    Poncedeleon
    Mikolas
    Hicks
    Hudson
    Ozuna

If you want to trade someone, why not Carpenter, Gyorko, Adams, Munoz, Garcia, J. Martinez, Fowler.

Young team that wins because of youngsters, not veterans.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Jack Flaherty worth more than Torres himself!!!!!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

21 year olds who put up Torres’ numbers tend to turn into superstars. There’s a reasonable chance that he would be a 5+ win player for his entire tenure with whatever team had him from rookie status.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years