Would You Make This Trade??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Would You Make This Trade??

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been jotting notes and following the Cards’ potential offseason moves since early July when it seemed like the season was lost. Now that things have picked up on the big league front at least, that’s a bit back burnered but I still have some plans to have a thread after the season ends with some possible ways the Cards could go on the free agent, trade and other upgrade route.

This thread, however…will not just be a one off but a “beyond the trade rumors” thread where I’d like to see the merits of one specific trade debated on whether or not you’d make a particular trade if you were the GM. I intend to keep updating with a new trade every few days, some of which may be a little off the wall but I’m curious how people feel!!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trade #1:

Cardinals Get:

3B Alex Bregman
    RHP Corban Martin (#5 prospect)

Astros Get:

RHP Carlos Martinez
    C Carson Kelly
    3B Elehuris Montero
    RHP Junior Fernandez

The Cards give up their staff #1, a premium catcher prospect, a potential stud batter at third and a flamethrowing righty who may end up a reliever and get one of the best hitting third sackers in the game plus a very solid pitching prospect who might become their #1 prospect in a year’s time.

Thoughts?

Participant

25…. what do you offer for Bregman alone?

Participant

Free

I make that trade all day long and twice on Sunday if I’m the Cards! Bregman alone would be worth it.

Unfortunately it takes the other team to agree to it and I don’t see them giving him up for that.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t be so sure. The Astros have Kuechel and Morton facing free agency this year, Cole for only one more year and Verlander is older. Their young hitters are about to get very pricey as well. Having cost control on a #2 starter (for them) with upside like Carlos and getting a cheap young catcher and a hitter with upside (plus a lotto ticket) should be enough to get them to bite. That would be Carlos plus two top 100 type prospects for Bregman and one top 100.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Dont we have another thread for this type of discussion?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, one of the stated purposes of the TRADE RUMORS/TRADE IDEAS thread is for any member to offer up any and all trade ideas for comment and discussion. Instead, if every poster chose to start their own personal thread, the board could be overrun with them and it would be difficult for those not involved to sort out news from fiction. I don’t want to discourage such posts, but lets keep the hypothetical ideas on that one thread. Thanks for understanding.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed Brian. Since this puppy is already started, it might be fun to use this as kind of an off the cuff wild trade proposal thread. The main thread is a more refined serious thread.

No way Houston parts with Bregman in that deal, but it wasn’t a bad thought. I was just thinking today if I would trade Gomber, O’Neill & Ponce to LA for Kershaw. Normally I would pull the trigger in a flash on that deal, but now I’m not so sure. There’s a lot of miles on that arm of Kershaw’s.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pugs, you think most of jags prposals on the other thread are serious? Length of the post is irrelevant to how serious it is.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not sure if this thread is a good idea or not, but if this is the place for wild proposals, can we trade JMart and DeJong tonught? Really growing tired of their inability to even put a bat on a ball with a runner on third.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Understand your feelings, Euro. On a scale of 1-10, I went from a 9 to a 6 in regards to DeJong since April 1st. But it’s wayyy to early to become soured on DeJong. Next year is going to be huge as far as a real insight as to what kind of a pro he is going to be.

Participant

Paid - Annual

To be honest, I never venture over to the thumb tacked threads….but will now, Carioca.

Participant

Free

Stl Card 25:

Yes, I’d make that trade in a second but Houston FO might literally die laughing.

Participant

Free

Pugs – Kershaw is a free agent this winter most likely. He has an opt-out.

Kershaw – 5th yr of 7yr/$215.0M Deal, Post-2018 Opt-out

Participant

Paid - Monthly

If I was Kershaw, I wouldn’t opt out. No one is going to pay that much for dropping velocity at his age.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would like to throw JMart in that deal rather than Montero, and then I do it for sure. But Houston probably does not go for it. They may want JMart in addition to the proposed deal, in which case I am very temtped to still do the deal.

Participant

Free

CC, Kershaw has just 2 years and $67M left. You don’t think he can beat that? Hypothetically, he could finish out this 2yr/$60M and then be nearly toast and perhaps get a 3yr/$45M deal. He will be 31 going into 2019.

That puts him at 5yr/$105M, which is a contract he can beat imo. Samardzija got a 5yr/$90M deal at 31 just two years ago.

Participant

Free

I would love to have Bregman. He’d be the SS and move DeJong to 3B. I don’t see Houston moving him at all and sure don’t think C Mart and Kelly are enough.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, i’d like to pull montero out and add gyorko in, but i’m also unsure of their 3B depth.

Maybe Hou would give up a late inning reliever for Mo’s password?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stl Card 25:

Yes, I’d make that trade in a second but Houston FO might literally die laughing.

Then the Cards win because the new GM will make more silly trades.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to throw JMart in that deal rather than Montero, and then I do it for sure. But Houston probably does not go for it. They may want JMart in addition to the proposed deal, in which case I am very temtped to still do the deal.

Montero could well be Jmart with an actual position to play. I think he’ll be a good one and would be tough to give up. But if Jose Martinez was the barrier to getting Bregman, he wouldn’t be…if you catch my drift.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would love to have Bregman. He’d be the SS and move DeJong to 3B. I don’t see Houston moving him at all and sure don’t think C Mart and Kelly are enough.

Dejong is a better defender than Bregman, so I’m sure he (Bregman) would stay at 3B.

On your doubt that my proposal would be enough, Bregman will be expensive even in arbitration, and the Astros certainly aren’t going to let Altuve or Correa go. They’re going to need to spend in free agency to restock the rotation. From a cost standpoint, Martinez is a steal for good production. You get him for up to 5 years at known prices (will be cheaper at those years than Bregman at 4 years, in all probability). Kelly is a known commodity. Montero is a top 5-10 prospect for us and likely top 100 overall by next year. Those three are extremely valuable. Fernandez is a lotto ticket.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, i’d like to pull montero out and add gyorko in, but i’m also unsure of their 3B depth.

Maybe Hou would give up a late inning reliever for Mo’s password?

Ha ha! Well, Gyorko has some value and I like him as a trade candidate this offseason but I’d guess Houston would prefer the upside of a player like Montero. Don’t forget that they watched him tear their teams up in the GCL last year and Midwest League this year as division rivals, so they’re well familiar with him.

Participant

Wonder if there are more Oh, Jose Martinez, Mikolas players out there. That’s where Mo’s strength seems to lie. Finding diamonds in the rough.

Participant

Diamonds?? Cecil-Gregerson-Holland-Fowler this group is pyrite…. fool’s gold…. and he paid them plenty of real hard silver for them. We all know who the fool is.

When… when…. he spends we wind up with a bags full of rusty bolts.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years