2021 World Series thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 World Series thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All times ET. TV on FOX network.

Game 1: Tuesday, Oct. 26 at 8:09 p.m. (Minute Maid Park, Houston)
    Game 2: Wednesday, Oct. 27 at 8:09 p.m. (Minute Maid Park, Houston)
    Game 3: Friday, Oct. 29 at 8:09 p.m. (Truist Park, Atlanta)
    Game 4: Saturday, Oct. 30 at 8:09 p.m. (Truist Park, Atlanta)
    Game 5 (if necessary): Sunday, Oct. 31 at 8:15 p.m. (Truist Park, Atlanta)
    Game 6 (if necessary): Tuesday, Nov. 2 at 8:09 p.m. (Minute Maid Park, Houston)
    Game 7 (if necessary): Wednesday, Nov. 3 at 8:09 p.m. (Minute Maid Park, Houston)

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess they are not going to move the WS games out of Atlanta like the All Star game.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Who cares. I wont be watching. I’ll be watching Cannon, Perry Mason, and the Streets of San Francisco.

r/Esteemed Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was glad to see the Red Sox and the Dodgers get knocked off by a couple of smaller market teams. I’d like to see the Braves win mainly because they’re a National League team.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

My brother is a big Braves fan. Would go with him, but prices are very high on Stubhub now. Much higher for the games in Atlanta than in Houston.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you could find a way to get over the cost of a ticket, it would be worth it to go. Playoff games in person are unforgettable.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep mud, I agree. Been to a few great playoff games in StL.

Cheapest tickets (stubhub) for the games in Atlanta were in the 1K range when I checked earlier. I usually like to get seats on the infield near the Cards dugout, otherwise I’d rather stay home and watch it on TV. Those seats are going for 4K to 5K for the Atlanta home games. Plus, I’m not a Braves fan! Would like to see them win it though, but it is not nearly worth that much for me to see it in person.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Those prices are walking around money for Euro Dandy. My most memorable post season in person game was Game 3 of the 1982 World Series..,…one which me and another 600,000 fans have now said to have tickled the County stadium turnstiles.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That had to be a good one, Pugs. I guess you learned who Willie McGee was.

I think my best one was the game 6 NLCS clincher against Kershaw in 2013. Busch was rocking and the party continued after the drubbing outside the stadium. My son was 21 so I was able to buy him a couple beers after the game at a couple places we wandered into. I remember him saying that night that going to the game was the most fun thing we had ever done together, and that’s considering we have a good relationship and have done a lot of things together. Live sporting events can get the juices flowing.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good stories about post season games. I have never attended one, although I tried to get a ticket to a 2007 World Series game when the Rockies got in.

It’s a bit strange with Houston winning pennants lately, as I still think of them as a Cardinal rival and NL team. So it is a bit like two NL teams going at it. 2019 was really upside down as you had a traditionally AL team playing a traditionally NL team, but they represented the opposite league.

But the leagues are not the same anymore – they are essentially conferences that use the term “league”. I will root for Atlanta. My mom was from Georgia and my uncle was a huge Braves fan. My dad and my uncle took me and my cousin to a Braves game in their inaugural year there, 1966. I was a kid obviously, and still have the hat I got at the stadium. They changed their uniform design in the ’70s, but went back to the traditional look in the early ’90s and the hat I have is exactly like their current home domes.

Hope it is a good series and goes the distance. It will be good to watch some baseball again. With no cable I did not see any of the playoff games. After that I will join Rat and watch old shows and movies.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I will watch and pull hard for the Braves…I can’t stand Houston.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This will be a boring WS for me. If you’re lucky enough to either love or detest one of the two combatants, then it’s great viewing. I cannot even get the slightest beed on who wins this series. If someone tied me down and put a gun to my head, demanding that I tell them the winner of this series……which with my baseball and football prognosticational success would not be a far fetched possibility…..I still couldn’t give them a prediction.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

Besides the cheating thing…want to see braves win so freeman can get a ring. Another guy that its hard to not root for (unless he’s playing us of course)

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Both teams want to win this World Series. No doubt about that. I ‘m sure every game will a hard fought battle and I’m looking forward to taking it all in. I’m pulling for Atlanta partly because they’re the NL team, but also because they haven’t won in 22 years and because I like Freddy Freeman. It was exciting watching them take down the Dodgers and their $200M payroll.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

As far as the cheating goes. Most Teams have done it. Our own has been caught doing it more than once. It has been long enough. That is a damned good team Houston. The Braves are the same. The Braves Front Office plays to win. They made the moves and the WS is their reward. I respect any team that gives their Team the chance to do that. Loookiing forward to a good series. Still pissed ours isn’t.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t have a strong preference who wins the series. I traditionally root for the NL team (except in 2016) but this year it almost feels like a series of two NL teams since the Astros resided in the senior circuit for so long. I think it would be kind of nice to see Dusty Baker get a ring as a manager. I know that he was a nemesis of Tony LaRussa when he was with the Cubs and Reds but he has been a good manager for a long time and never won it all. This might be his last chance at age 72. He was known as a very good Dodger player but ironically began his career with the Braves.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

gscott, it’s funny, I grew up in NC where everybody is a Braves fan, so I still think of Dusty as a Brave first. He had his breakout season and probably his best two consecutive years there before moving to LA.

In the old days, I could never go to Mom’s and Dad’s house on a summer evening and find the TV tuned to anything other than TBS. Mom is 90 now and still watches the Braves some even though Dad is no longer living. The last couple years, I’ve watched a few games at her house and every time she tells me that Freddie Freeman is the only player she knows nowadays.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’m rather ambivalent about this world series. I grew up in Texas when St. Louis was the “southern team,” and the Cardinals broadcast blasted away on our radio most days of my childhood. I never developed an attraction to those later “expansion teams.” My daughter and her family live in Austin now and my son-in-law, a big Astro fan, will be headed to Houston for a couple of games, so there’s that. My only personal experience with the world series was in the early 90s during the glory years of the Blue Jays and I was working in Toronto. I temporarily adopted a different bird and saw a lot of blue during five years there. Anyway, as they are all night games I’ll have to settle for reading about it next day or MLB replay.
    Rah somebody!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Houston has a lot to play for in overcoming the cheating scandal. Obviously, they were good even without it. I don’t like their tricked up ballpark even with the stupid hill in CF gone. Considering everything, it would be hard for me to pull for them. If the Braves would ditch the Tomahawk Chop, which we probably won’t see until Game 3, I would feel better about them. They do get bonus points for sending the big money Dodgers home.

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

Not that it means anything now… but I see the Cardinals had a better record than the Braves.

(But so did the Giants, Dodgers and Brewers… so my point is meaningless)

But someone else above made a great point… why aren’t the Atlanta games all being played in Denver????

I guess it doesn’t fit their Narrative anymore… like everything else they are spewing!!!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Braves win Game 1. Morton is out though with a broken fibula after he took a ball to the lower leg in the 2nd inning. After the injury, he got the next 3 batters out and left the game in the 3rd inning. That’s a warrior. Pen did the rest.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The choppers vs. the cheaters. I won’t be watching the games but will keep up with the scoring. Not a fan of the Astros which we have a poor history with. So go Braves.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thought Pugs might be rooting for the Braves since they formerly occupied his home state of Wisconsin. But they left so maybe that is a negative.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…..wonder how our old buddy Marcel is feeling these days, missing all the fun. Their current left fielder ain’t too bad.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed that’s a negative, BicycleMike. But it doesn’t hurt too bad as I wasn’t around when the Braves called Milwaukee home sweet home. For me this is going to be a boring WS. I wish I loved one of these teams or hated one……to make the series more interesting. But, I love baseball so I’ll be watching and hoping it goes 7 games. Honestly, is there anything better than a 7th game?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years