Will Smith trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Will Smith trade thread

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 1 day, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Per Jon Morosi:

“The Cardinals and Giants engaged in serious discussions about a trade involving Smith during the offseason, sources say, and St. Louis is poised to pursue the reliever again — as long as the Cardinals remain solidly in contention at the end of the month.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/will-smith-potential-trade-target-for-cardinals

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would love to see them get him. What would the cost be?

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

If they wouldn’t pay back then why do you think they will now?

The main issue is at hand is the rotation and lineup but the bullpen would be in burnout mode. Why not Smith and Samardzija. You’ll have to pay but this is what I’d suggest.Then you can dump some dead weight as well.

O’Neill
    Wacha
    Arazorena
    Cabrera
    Montero

That in my opinion is not a huge loss.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Montero is out with broken hand and injured players rarely if ever traded.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Will” Smith become a Cardinal? If so, Montero or Fagalde better not be in that equation.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not Smith and Samardzija. You’ll have to pay but this is what I’d suggest.Then you can dump some dead weight as well.

O’Neill
    Wacha
    Arazorena
    Cabrera
    Montero

Why would we give up all that and take on Samardzija’s bloated contract? Wacha is hardly the worst of the team’s dead weight. If we aren’t sending our own high priced problem back, then there’s no way we should send essentially 4 of our top 10 young talents to SF. Either they take Fowler or the package drops at least two of O’Neill, Arozarena, Cabrera and Montero. Even if they do take Fowler I think the Cards won’t trade Montero and I doubt they trade them 3 outfielders for a rental reliever and an old starting pitcher.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Will Smith but I don’t like rentals. Hopefully that is considered in the asking price.

I sure wouldn’t want Samardjia. I would take Leake over him especially since we are already paying Leake.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless this team can get 5-7 games over .500 by the trade deadline, I don’t really want to trade for anyone. To do that, Goldy and Marp will need to get rolling and the pitching will need to be consistent. Otherwise, being close to the division lead is pretty much a mirage due to bad play by others.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

a rental is rarely my thing….and a rental closer is even trickier when you arent in a position to be closing a lot of games at the moment

if this was combined with a few other moves….maybe…maybe even a few other rental moves…i can see it…

but what value does Will Smith give if we cant score runs? And our bullpen is FAR from the worst problem for the team even with Hicks out…. it (and the starting rotation) is the lowest hanging fruit for trying to fix SOMETHING…but the thing that needs fixing is the offense

I am so tired of talk of adding pitching….we have had really good runs of pitching at various points of the season but outside of a few decent weeks at the beginning of the season the offense has been abysmal the whole year

unless we are going to trade for Max AND Greinke AND MadBUm AND Stroman…and WILL Smith and whoever else is out there for pitching…so that all our offense has to do is get 1 or 2 runs and pray that our 200 million dollar pitching can not give up more than a run or 2 a game…which is ridiculous

Show me 3 weeks of solid offense and some kind of rebound from Carp and Goldy…and then i would entertain a LH closer rental as something we should attempt

Id rather use my prospects to fix the offense, even if it means working other trades to create the space for the additions to take

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

That package is way to much, even more so if they take on Samardizja. He’s still owed roughly 27M through next year. If anything, that should make the prospects back to them basically nothing.

I’m still thinking Tony Watson is a more realistic target based on what the Cardinals would be willing to part with. I’ve read they are hurting for OF’s, something like Lane Thomas and Conner Capel should work.

If they were to go for Will Smith, would Lane Thomas, Justin Williams and Adolis Garcia get it done? O’neill is likely penciled in for LF next year and Arozarena would appear to be on pace to be in the mix, his value to other teams likely isn’t as high as his potential at this point.

If Madbum and Smith are in the deal, then O’neill can be on his way too, for what little veteran COF’s with power have signed for the past few years, I’m not against that route on a 1-2 year deal. That would likely take a few pitching prospects on top of O’neill, Thomas, Garcia, etc

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

FYI here,
    Will Smith blew his 1st save last night in Milwaukee. Mention that he might be traded to the Cardinals and all of a sudden he does bad. Must be something in the air.

r/Esteemed Rat

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Moronta is the reliever I would look at on the giants

• This reply was modified 1 day, 19 hours ago by Avatar Thegreyghost.
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Moronta is the reliever I would look at on the giants

They won’t part with him and all that control.

That package is way to much, even more so if they take on Samardizja. He’s still owed roughly 27M through next year. If anything, that should make the prospects back to them basically nothing.

Well that money would have to be worked a bit but it wouldn’t be as much of an issue if they hadn’t extended Carpenter to that stupid contract now would it? This is just another reason why Bowtie needs to get kicked to the curb! Also you can interchange Thomas for O’Neill lol. Would that do it for you?

Internet rumor is they liked Wheeler before he was injured and that they’re looking at Inf help. Not hard to see they really need a veteran bat on the infield.

If they got a bat for the infield (which may not help that much), a lefty starter and a lefty bullpen arm it would help a little bit. They can cut loose of some guys for sure or trade them for nothing. Wacha seems to be perfect for that.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 11 hours ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who needs Smith when you have Gallegos?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who needs Smith when you have Gallegos?

If Smith was replacing Gallegos, then the Cards wouldn’t need him. But if he’s replacing Shreve/Webb, then that’s a huge upgrade.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years