Why not play the games for the TV audience?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Why not play the games for the TV audience?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

Test all of people needed to play the games and go.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A number of problems are immediately obvious.

How do road teams and umpires stay safe in airplanes, hotels and airports?

Two rosters of 26 players each plus coaches are more than 50 people assembling together, which violates the CDC decision that MLB has already decided to support.

What happens if/when some players are not comfortable with this plan, preferring not to take any health risks?

Further, playing games in empty stadiums keep MLB teams from all associated revenue, including tickets and concessions. (If the teams aren’t making money, then what is their motivation to try to play?)

Finally, it is worth noting that none of the sports affected – amateur or professional – are going this “play in empty facilities” route. It is just not practical.

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

Teams do not fly on commercial airlines.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In some ways, it would be nice to have something else to focus on besides the crashing halt of life that this virus shutdown has caused. Sports are most certainly a respite from that, so in that sense it would be nice if it were practical to play games and give people some entertainment.

As Brian said, there are many reasons why it’s not practical. The biggest reason it won’t happen, of course, is money. I wish that weren’t the biggest impediment, but here we are. Hopefully some baseball will still be played this year and our Cards can take advantage of the short season to blitz through MLB.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Boyer14 said:

Teams do not fly on commercial airlines.

Yes, I am aware of that. Does it significantly reduce the health risk for all involved in playing games?

As noted, playing games in empty stadiums would be great for fans stuck at home. But it is not going to happen for any number of reasons.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Assuming stricter travel restrictions are not put in place let’s look at Brian’s points one by one.

Umpires and visiting teams. I have not heard of hotels being of specific problems. Airports either. Airplanes is debatable but most are undergoing higenization between flights now. As stated elsewhere the teams fly commercial. I am sure if they wanted that they could make the umpiring crews regional enough that they could travel by car.

I would argue 35 players and coaches on each side in seperste dugouts (actually less because many are in the bullpen does not constiute more than 50 people in one assembly.

You could provide an opt out for players who chose not to participate – a special IR.

The revenue lost from losing tv revenue is greater than any other source. It only makes economic sense not to play for tv if you are not going to pay the players for not playing.

All that said, I agree it is not going to happen.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When we are bored, keeping any discussion going is good. There can be counterpoints offered to anything, but it doesn’t make it any more likely, as you concluded.

A basic flaw in your assumptions is that MLB will not play all 162 games anyway. As we all should know, MLB is still holding out hope they can reschedule all games and have them played in front of fans. So at least at this point, they would be against the very concept of playing in empty stadiums – even before having to deal with all the logistical realities already noted.

No matter which angles we consider, the end result is the same. No bueno.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No matter which angles we consider, the end result is the same. No bueno.

Any period of time with no baseball really stinks, but especially right now. We’ll eventually get by it but everyone is gonna get pretty stir crazy before long.

Participant

Free

I suppose I could envision the teams staying at the minor league parks with an extended spring training and seating reduced to 25 per cent of capacity so the people could spread out. No concessions, just take the tv revenue. Trouble is everybodys at home now. And one sick guy could wipe out the whole team. Guess it doesn’t sound so good after all–hmmmm?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is not live games, but at least there is baseball programming for those who do not subscribe to MLB.TV and cannot view archived games already.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Finally, it is worth noting that none of the sports affected – amateur or professional – are going this “play in empty facilities” route. It is just not practical.

Well WWE (professional wrestling if you will) is hosting their events in empty arenas. Granted calling it a sport is borderline but they are still going forward. It’s very weird and odd to not have the fans in attendance and I don’t recommend baseball try it.

Participant

Free

UFC did it last weekend. While it doesn’t tarnish the product. For sure it’s a different feel.

Just start it in June. It already a tarnished season. Don’t make it any worse.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not sure where I heard this, but someone mentioned to me that a state did their basketball tournament in near empty arenas. Only parents and family were allowed in.

As for big time sports, it ain’t happening. But just think of how grateful and thankful we will all be once some normalcy returns.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not sure where I heard this, but someone mentioned to me that a state did their basketball tournament in near empty arenas. Only parents and family were allowed in.

As for big time sports, it ain’t happening. But just think of how grateful and thankful we will all be once some normalcy returns.

Yeah that was Missouri. They held their Class 1, 2 & 3 state semifinals and championship games with limited attendance. Each team a limited number of tickets they could distribute to whoever. They eventually cancelled the Class 4 and 5 semifinals and championships after the CDC’s new containment policy of no more than 50 people in one location.

Participant

Free

Guess you could take up ping pong

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another activity to help fill time “productively”.

Participant

Paid - Annual

TEoo bad we can’t get these broadcasts as part of MLBTV.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Great idea, C27. However, that would require MLB.TV to be proactive and probably spend more money than they planned. Trying to generate fan interest and keep them engaged – even when the games are being played – does not seem a particularly high priority to MLB. It would be great if they surprised me, though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years