Why not Castellenos?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Why not Castellenos?

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reds have done a lot SINCE last offseason too though…even if it is pretty much only one move (BAuer), not to mention the rise of Aquino

OF: (great depth)
    Akiyama, Castellenos, Aquino, Senzel, Winker, Ervin, Jankowski, Schebler

IF: (impressive)
    Barnhart, Votto, Senzel, Galvis, Suarez, Moose

SP: (hard to argue as impressive)
    Bauer, Gray, Castillo, Desclefani, Miley, Mahle, Sims, De Leon

RP: (depth seems an issue)
    Iglesias, Lorenzen, Garrett, Stephenson, Bowman

prospects: (still impressive)
    Greene, Lodolo, India, Santillan, Stephenson, Siri

I know it is an ON PAPER look… but they seem to have depth, youth, vets, top end starting pitching, and a closer, defense is pretty impressive even with Castellenos in there, and with the extra depth in the OF, they can remove him late if needed

At this point in the year…ON PAPER is the only thing to look at….and ON PAPER…the Reds improved their team in all the aspects they needed to in the last 2 offseasons and trade deadlines…

what have the Cardinals improved?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4yrs 16m seems like a steal for a guy with offense like his, as well as at his age (it will end when he is 31). not to mention the looming DH.

Reds are definitely going for it, and have enough depth to trade from if they need something else

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As was already known…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4yrs 16m seems like a steal for a guy with offense like his, as well as at his age (it will end when he is 31). not to mention the looming DH.

Reds are definitely going for it, and have enough depth to trade from if they need something else

Add one year and it’s basically the Dexter Fowler deal (minus one year on it) a few years early. His offense will likely be solid through the deal (although he’s only been slightly above average through the years) and his defense is awful and only going to get worse. I don’t know that I’d call it a steal, but it’s probably a fair contract for a guy like him with the downside he has.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting. So he took less than Ozuna for 2020, but will stick the Reds with a bad contract if he stinks like Heyward, for example. But if he is good in 2020, he will rejoin Ozuna on the market next fall…

Participant

Free

Do we know Castellanos took less than Ozuna in 2020?

Is his contract back loaded, front loaded, or is the money evenly spread across the term of the contract?

Participant

Free

Well at least ONE team in the central is actually making moves to GET better

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds are no doubt better. Good enough to win the division? I am skeptical about that but they are better.

Castellanos will thrive at GAB. I expect him to put up huge offensive numbers like he did at Wrigley. His offense was suppressed in Detroit by playing in that huge park and with no protection in the lineup. He won’t have to worry about that now.

With the NL likely to adopt the DH in the new CBA this no defense concern of Castellanos will be a moot point at that point. I think he could explode into the next JD Martinez.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Reds may have taken on more risk than thought.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oquendo, no we do not yet know if the salary is even each year. I made an assumption it is. To be confirmed.

gscottar, that assumes he remains in Cincy long enough to have a DL in year three of his contract. Two outs before then makes it less likely.

Onyx, with Moose and Castellanos, the Reds are going for offense but making defense secondary. The Cards tried that and it did not work. Maybe the Reds will be better at it. To be determined. They also took on a lot of big contract commitments. That can be either good or very bad. As we have seen with the Cardinals, they can tie their hands later on.

Participant

Free

Sleep well MO.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I would suspect that with everything the Reds have done this off-season that there will finally – FINALLY – be some people that go to their games at GABP. Usually the place is about empty.

I’ve always said if the Cardinals cant win it I would like to see the Reds win it. At least they might have a halfway decent atmosphere for home games this year.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

If I were a Reds fan I would be optimistic about expectations in ’20. The NLC race should be intense and very difficult right now to predict the outcome… unlike the NLE and NLW.

Does anyone want to take a shot at the NLC final standings?

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a good deal for Castellanos. If he puts up big numbers it turns into a one year pillow deal and he can cash in next winter. If not, he has some security.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Gs, following that scenario, Cincy should make Castellanos a Q-offer. May affect his “cash in” contract.

Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ, interesting thought. If a player opts out can the team then make a QO or does the player immediately become a FA? I am not sure how that works.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Once Castellanos opts-out he becomes a FA, like Greinke did as a Dodger. LA made the Q-offer and selected their young catcher Will Smith.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, if Castellanos opts out, Cincy will likely make the QO. That hurts Castellanos’ signing leverage a bit – unless he has a great season, in which case it won’t matter. That may be what he is betting on.

Remember that a player can only get one QO in his career. That had to be a factor in Ozuna settling for one year this time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, $16 MM is his salary this coming season…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am okay pass on Nick. The Cardinals need to see what they have in Thomas and O’Neill.

Bader should be better, but the bar is low as he had many plate appearances where he had no clue what was coming. But he is probably at that point where you play him in center every day, cheer for the great defense and see if the offense gets there with consistent reps.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds will pay Votto $25M each year for his age 37, 38, and 39 year old seasons. Then they have to give him another $7M at age 40 in order to lower their payroll. Yikes! Moustakas at 2B. Castellanos in the OF. An aging Votto at 1B. What’s next, I wonder? Lindor?

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I’m glad the cardinals aren’t in the habit of giving opt outs to guys who aren’t even superstars. I hate this trend even more than the no trade clauses and they only work to saddle teams with bad contracts.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years