Why not Castellenos?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Why not Castellenos?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah I know. The defense.

But

He seems to have improved each year in the OF

And his offense is pretty great Doubles and average are worth a lot

He is still young, 27 right?

If we go him over Ozuna we get a pick for Ozuna signing elsewhere and don’t lose a pick signing Castellenos. Gaining a pick can’t NOT be considered a part of the added value.

But yeah I get it. The defense.

But with the improvements elsewhere on the field on defense and the teams severe deficiency on offense isn’t one spot of poor defense worth the gamble?

I think it’s worth it. And I hate bad defense. But I do trust our other fielders to help and the instructors to help improve Him out there. If they can make JMart serviceable then they can take a guy who has been doing it pretty much full time and get him to be average I think. And at his age of 27 his age won’t be limiting him.

A dependable double hitting good average hitter with enough pop to hit 20 HR is worth it. Especially when the team is lacking offense.

Him + Arenado would be a coup and probably won’t happen. But it would bump us up.

But yeah. I know. The defense

GameCard
    Participant

Free

MLB.COM is trying to tie Castellanos with the Cardinals…link.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/nicholas-castellanos-rumors

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I consider it a bad sign anytime an article is posted with no byline. Probably authored by the Sprintern. 😉

Oquendo11
    Participant

Free

Why would “everything else be equal” between Ozuna and Castellenos? For any other team to sign Ozuna they have to give up a draft pick where they don’t for Castellenos. So if other teams see them as equal they would offer Castellenos a value of their draft pick more than they would offer Ozuna.

Would fans be happy if the Card sign (out bid other teams for) Castellenos and then Ozuna decides to wait until after the draft to sign (no draft pick for the Cardinals)?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Choosing Castellenos over Ozuna makes all the sense in the world for the Cardinals therefore I am assuming it won’t happen. There is always the chance Ozuna waits until after the draft to sign but I would give that low odds to happen.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For me it’s really about the defense. He’s Jose Martinez level with the glove and likely to get worse, even over a short deal. I like the combo of O’Neill/Thomas/Carlson to give us more than Castellanos would over the next three years.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nicks dwar was -.7 and -.8 the last two years

JMart was -1.4 and -2.1 I believe

Castellenos is also 3 yrs younger.

I don’t think it is fair to say they are the same in the field.

We played JMart and his horribleness out there in RF and he was by DWar 2-3x worse and it did not sink us. And JMart played far less innings out there.

Nicks age is worth a 2-3 yr deal of good production with probably -1 dwar per year-ish. And he has gotten better in the field with each year

Add in the extra comp pick and money for the draft pool and it seems a good bet to me.

If we could pull off a short deal for Nick

Then trade for Arenado

And move Carp to TEX? Or Fowler to LAA?

I think it would provide us a pretty impressive offensive upgrade and not destroy the farm.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I mean Matt Holliday manned the LF position for damn near 7 years and his defense was passable until her got old or dropped balls in the playoffs. It wouldn’t be the worst idea. I just don’t think the smartest guy in the room wants to block his prospects by handing out a 3 year deal. I mean it could happen but I just see the comments and unless Bowtie is blowing smoke up everyone butts it appears that O’Neil, Bader or Thomas could be the trio playing in CF or LF.

They need offense and I wouldn’t be against signing either Ozuna or Castellanos on a 3 year year deal.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Even if the team signs Castellanos or Ozuna to a 3 year contract, they won’t necessarily block Carlson. He could play CF if Bader still isn’t hitting very well.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s not even close….I’ll take Castellanos over Marcell in a heartbeat. Over the last 15 years, the cubbies have been signing Cardinal players ( Edmonds, Marquis, Lackey, Heyward, Jon Jay, Motte, Taguchi, Descalso, Mather, Miles, etc.) left and right. What cubbies have we signed during that period? Dexter, Grudzielanek and Theriot….whoopie do. It’s high time that we started signing some of their players who still have plenty of gas left in the tank. Let’s go get Castellanos.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Pugs, given the way former Cubs players have worked out for the Cardinals, are you sure you want to sign a former Cubs player?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t want Castellanos because he played for the Cubs, although blocking him from going back to the Cubs would have an added benefit. I want him because he is the ultimate doubles machine. 58 doubles last year. He would spray doubles all over Busch and be good protection for Goldy. I think he was one of the top 5 position players in the NL after the deadline last year. Yes he defense is weak but we have had weak defensive OF’s before and did just fine (Ozuna, Holliday, JMart).

My guess is the Cubs would love for him to come back and would have already signed him if it weren’t for their payroll issues. The Cardinals really don’t have payroll issues except for the self imposed kind. I think Castellanos and a lock down bullpen piece would be almost as valuable to the Cardinals as Arenado would be and much cheaper.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar…you have almost convinced me. Almost.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, given the way former cubs players have worked out for the Cardinals, are you sure you want to sign a former cubs player?

Great question, LACardFan! Having spent only a couple months in the Windy City, Castellanos cannot quite be classified as “damaged goods”. He’s getting out of Dodge in just the “Nick” of time.

I too loved Scotty’s post, stlcard25. Hopefully, Mo does too and will bring this guy into the Redbird nest.

1982 willie
    Participant

cause he was a cub. that’s why you don’t sign him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No need for a new Castellanos thread when we already have this one. Thanks.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we are going to sign a defensively challenged outfielder for pop and also try to give playing time to the young guys, I say look no further than Hunter Pence. He hit .297 with 18HR in just under 300 at bats last year, just came out saying he wants to continue playing, and has long been considered a great clubhouse guy. How low does his salary have to go before we would bite? I’d love him for 5-7mil. 1 year commitment, we have the extra roster spot, he even stole 6 bases against 1 CS. Thoughts?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think DeWitt answered this thread at WWU – unlikely to take on that much salary.

Too bad Pence isn’t left handed. For that price range for Pence I would prefer Puig for his upside.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

shakeenbake Mcbride posted this on another thread, which I am moving here:

Interesting read from CBS Sports…

https://www.mlb.com/news/the-best-remaining-fits-for-nicholas-castellanos

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Dewitt is going to do anything unless the deal is too good to be true. He’s said this already after WWU.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They have to hope he will be more impactful this coming year than the addition of Puig was at this time last year. According to some experts, the Reds “won” last off-season, too. They did improve from 23 games behind the Cardinals in 2018 to 16 back in 2019. So there was progress.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds can use all the help they can get. They have a good amount of talent, but for whatever reason it always struggles to mesh. I still think they’re no better than 3rd in the Central, but they have made a splash.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.