Who Is Your #5 Starter/Starters The Rest of the Way?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Who Is Your #5 Starter/Starters The Rest of the Way?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

A comment on last night’s game thread stated they did not want to see anymore Wainwright starts. Let’s run with that idea. Who is your fifth starter right now?

First, let’s start with what St Louis is actually doing. Per the FSMW pre-game last night, Ponce has been inserted into rotation to start Wednesday. This is to give all starters an extra day’s rest and takes into account off days on the 20th and 27th. They are monitoring the rookie pitchers’ innings – Flaherty is at 132.1 IP to date and was 148.2 IP combined in ’17 which is a career high for him.

The rotation, in order of starts:
    Flaherty
    Gant
    (Wainwright)
    Mikolas
    (Ponce)
    Gomber

Waino’s ‘spot’ in the rotation comes up next Sunday, then again on Sunday, the 23rd and the last regular day of the season.

As currently configured, Flaherty is set up to pitch the Wild Card game (or the season finale on regular rest)

St Louis needs a fifth starter at least twice more. If not Wainwright, then whom?

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m fine with resting Flaherty and company a little. In 2013, Wacha jumped from 137 innings to 180 high-pressure innings (incl. the playoffs). He was never really the same after that. It could be argued that we gave away wins in 2016 and 2017 by pitching him as such in 2013 and 2014.

Similarly, Martinez hovered from 115 to 120 to 116 from 2012-2014 over varying levels of play before jumping to 180 in 2015.

It’s not that I don’t think they are carful with the players, but that our three most talented pitchers are all injured before we hit the potential playoffs.

These numbers don’t include spring training.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Good point re spring training innings. Another good point re looking back at Wacha and Martinez’ prior jumps in workload.

Goold mentioned in his latest Chatwrap that Schildt indicated there would be games from here on out in which neither Hudson nor Hicks would be available. Felt Hudson had hit a bit of a wall and wanted to make sure he was rested.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m good with the six above as the guys for the stretch. Use Ponce to give the other guys a rest and you’ve still got Ross and Weaver in the pen for the long man role. In a non coincidence, I believe that’s why Hudson went to the bullpen even though I think he’d be the #3/4 of this staff right now.

It is crazy to think of how well this team has pitched despite the upheaval of the staff this year. If you had said before the year that our year end rotation would be Mikolas plus the Memphis gang due to long term injuries to all the others, that Weaver would regress, Reyes would pitch 4 innings, Holland would be historically bad, Leone injured most of the season, Cecil hurt and awful, Lyons basically cut, Gregerson hurt and ineffective, and the bullpen generally depending on Bud Norris and some rookies…I would have guessed we win 70, 75 games tops.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really wonder about Wainwright being effective in any role besides long man /mop up.Sure he had a couple decent innings but otherwise he wasn`t fooling anybody.love his grit and heart but I have doubts if the arm is willing and able.Shildt and Maddux will have to walk a tightrope with this rotation for the rest of the year.

Mikolas
    Flaherty,Gomber,Gant,Poncedeleon,Wainwright,Weaver?,Tyson Ross ?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t understand when you have 5 effective starters, MIkolas, Flaherty, Poncedeleon, Gant and Gomber that you have to change something. 9 scoreless innings in rehab didn’t change my mind about Wainrights role. He is one of the best Cardinals of all time, but I would rather see him pitching 2 innings bridging a gap from the 5th to the 7th. That way he can throw as hard as he can, as long as he can.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My top four is:

Mikolas
    Flaherty
    Gant
    Gomber

I think the 5th starter should be Poncedeleon with Ross as the backup option. I’m not convinced that Waino is the answer there and no way should it be Weaver.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If we’re set with Mikolas-Flaherty-Gomber-Gant, that leaves Poncedeleon or Wainwright and Weaver#7?

Wainwright will get another chance but I think he’ll have to show more. Poncedeleon is a fairly good option and has moved ahead of Weaver.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The opening day rotation at Memphis was Gant-Hudson-Gomber-Flaherty-Poncedeleon. The Memphis Mob has taken over in St Louis…. who would have guessed? With Helsley making only 5 starts at Memphis in mid-season and injured the rest of the year, this wave of starters has been completed. The next wave doesn’t appear to be as successful.

Memphis is now using Lyons-Woodford-Ellis-Herget-Warner and they would be available when the Redbirds finish up their Championship round, but I doubt very much that any are placed on the 40-man roster to join the Cards.

On the horizon, I would like to see CMart closing next season and Hudson added to the rotation. As far as prospects go Helsley and Woodford will start ’19 at AAA with Kruczynski, Meismer and Shew candidates to join them. The mix of the present Memphis starters will fill out their rotation.

Sorry if I got off topic but I like to look to the future and hope for the best.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On the horizon, I would like to see CMart closing next season and Hudson added to the rotation.

Maybe Martinez would be fine as a closer but the best of the best closers are worth 3 wins a year. Martinez has been worth 3-5 every year of his career as a starter. I don’t see why you’d give that up over 180-200 innings to go with a rookie. I’d put every other starter in the bullpen besides Mikolas before I put Martinez there.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Only talking about 2018 my rotation would be this:

Flaherty
    Mikolas
    Gant
    Gomber
    Ross

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would prefer to keep “The Bulldog” penned up for the remainder of this year, but long term, I believe Ponce is better suited in the rotation. I think the wild card for us…..I know what you’re thinking…no it’s not Ross….I think the hurler who is really going to excel down the stretch and hopefully well into the waning days of October, is going to be a young hurler who I have been riding all year due to his pitch inefficiency…Weaver. I just have a gut feeling that it has all now started to come together for Weaver…just give him another shot!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry Pugs but DreamWeava gives me nightmares!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Weaver is ever going to be really dependable until he learns to pitch down in the zone. What I’m saying is he needs to be Duncanized by Dave Duncan, or a Dave Duncan mentor. Weaver’s great strength is his control, not the movement of his pitches. At least, that’s my humble opinion.

I’m fine with Ross or Ponce for the fifth starter, but I’d probably go with Ross because of his experience.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hear you, GScott & Mudville, Weaver’s 2018 campaign warrants your caution. However, I think the worm has turned and he’ll be lights out the rest of the way. We’ll see….

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty/MIkolas/Poncedeleon/Gant/Gomber are my 5. Weaver, Ross, or Wainright can give a couple innings if needed. I just don’t want us getting into 4-0 holes again.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Love that optimism, Pugs. Hope you’re right.

MagnoliaCardFan
    Participant

Free

Good topic UConn.

My sentiments run with Nyqui–Memphis had a pitching staff that comes along, maybe, once in a generation/lifetime. And now they’re shooling MLB. Has me feeling a return to the WS is possible this year.

Pugs–your love for the underdog and underappreciated has served you/us well. But Weaver? IMO, he’s never been very effective after August. Our organizational love for FSU players in the first round of the draft got him a status that I don’t feel he’s earned. I’ll be surprised if he’s with us come spring training.

Ponce is my choice as the 5th starter, replacing the Card that he most closely resembles (IMO), Waino. I love his toughness and grit. He’s made/wired for starting elimination games. Waino would be my 2nd choice citing experience and having the freshest arm on the staff.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ricky Horton had some interesting comments about Weaver last night on the broadcast. He basically said that Weaver’s problem was that he was a two pitch pitcher. All he has is a fastball and a change up. He rarely throws a curve ball and when he does it gets crushed which was evident last night.

I’m thinking that Weaver starts next season in Memphis.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Wainwright and Weaver aren’t pitching well. Flaherty, Gant, Gomber, Poncedeleon, and Mikolas are. Martinez seems better in relief where he can go all out for twenty pitches. Hicks is a bit hit and miss, but he is 22.

I think the only time I would have Wainwright and Weaver on the field is if we get an early 5-0 deficit.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ponce as my SP5, but my guess is the org goes w/Wainwright until he pitches himself out of the rotation.

Weaver was struggling to locate what were still good pitches.

Ross is smoke and mirrors, afraid of the strike zone. He needs batters to chase out of the zone. His. 200 BAbip allowed is making him bearable but even then the outs are often LOUD.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.