What is wrong with Kolten Wong and what should be done?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What is wrong with Kolten Wong and what should be done?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I actually like Wong. He is very inconsistent on offense but his defense and speed should keep him in the lineup IMO. The only reason I created a thread for him is because he is hitting under .200 and it might look hypocritical if I didn’t.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wong is playing elite level defense this year and is young enough that the bat should come around to around average level. His ability to draw walks in recent seasons has meant he has a better offensive profile than early career and I suspect that will continue.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Wong, too. But lets face it. Every year he has some issue come up that prevents him from playing up to expectations. I woulndn’t mind giving Schrock a chance to show what he has, but Wong’s multi-year contract pretty much rules that out.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Wong isn’t the problem the likes of Carp and Fowler are FAR worse issues.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry to say it. But Wong’s a head case.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock is the rock we’ve been looking for. If we look at the complete Wong package, the best we can hope for is that of a mediocre player. Too bad because Wong could have been a dandy. What’s stopping him is anybody’s guess. But if the light hasn’t been turned on yet, it’s highly doubtful that it’s coming. Schrock can make things happen on a pretty consistent basis where Wong has only brief flashes of stellar play. I opt for the steady guy.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

As always the AAA Eye candy always looks better, but check what Wong did in his last AAA year when he was younger than what Schrock is right now.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

This organization is so hung up on how great its triple a eye candy is so why not see if it is better than its multi million dollar hotdogs on the big club that ain’t producing anything but flatulence.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

TExas, Wong was BETTER at a younger age in AAA than schrock is right now

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Ox to me that is an irrelevant point. Wong isn’t producing diddly NOW and it may be time to try an alternative. Schrock may have struck out yesterday but bet your backside he would have swung at least once. If Schrock isn’t the alternative then shame on this organization for not having one guy in it to push Womg to stay sharp.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Ahh the grass is always greener comments…got to love silly crap!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock is probably all around an inferior player to Wong at this point. That doesn’t mean he’s not worth a shot at some point but it’s fine that he’s contuing to get seasoning at Memphis. After all, he’s running a 109 wRC+ there so it’s not like he’s exactly lighting it up.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Wong in 2013: .303/.369/.466
    Schrock now: .326/.376/.420

I don’t see that Wong was substantially better, and some people can handle the jump, others can’t.

Can anyone honestly say Wong has developed at the major league level?

The justification for Wong is always that he has so much potential. At some point you need to live up to it.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Repeating what I have said before, but I would keep Wong regularly in the lineup this year and see where he stands at season’s end.

He plays solid defense at a premium defensive position, adds speed to the lineup, balances a mostly righty-hitting group, and can occasionally turn on a pitch and give you the long ball. What has been missing is consistency, but last year’s .285 batting average and .376 OBP were more than acceptable. Let’s stick with him throughout 2018 and see if he can get to around those numbers again.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Coincidentally, I tweeted this yesterday. Personally, I am not down on him, but I continue to hope he can step up his game. As a base-stealer, an area in which I believed he had considerable upside, he has clearly declined.

NJ315
    Participant

I like Wong. But his at bat to end the game yesterday was putrid. He has to try and make contact. He has to put the ball in play. I was really disappointed with him yesterday. You can’t go down on strikes with the bases loaded without swinging.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals2016

Wong in 2013: .303/.369/.466
    Schrock now: .326/.376/.420

Wong 2013 – 120 wRC+
    Shrock 2018 – 110 wRC+

Plus Wong is an elite defensive second baseman.

Wong’s issue in 2018 is easy to see, BABIP in 2017 – .331, BABIP in 2018 – .213

With his 107 wRC+ last year, I feel that Wong deserves to continue on as our 2Bman to see if he gets back to that level.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s the way I’ve been feeling about Fowler, too.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He had turned a bit of a corner at the plate for about 2 weeks. .303-.405-.639 in 36 abs. He’s in an 0-14 slump now.

The issue is plain and simply is he like several bats in this lineup are plain and simply either too hot and cold or flat out aren’t getting it done. However his glove this season has flat out been money which mean he’ll likely get more ab’s than at times he deserves. I wouldn’t have issue with that if guys like Fowler, Carpenter and Ozuna wouldn’t flat out be underperforming and Molina wasn’t out.

It just shows how many glaring weaknesses we have in this lineup and how this team lack some go to guys. I mean other than Pham and maybe Martinez and Gyorko (when he plays). who do you really trust to go out and have a 2 hit night or get on 2 times in a game?

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

You can’t go down on strikes with the bases loaded without swinging.

In general, I think Cardinal hitters take too many good pitches. Pitch selection seems to be the biggest issue with Carpenter. Wong has some of that as well.

Not sure if that is Mabry’s influence, but our hitters seem to be “defensive” in their approach. We have a lot of “Randal Grichuk” type ABs where guys will flail at pitches well out of the zone, and watch good pitches by.

In general, I would stress to guys to be ready to pull the trigger early in the count. It’s great to work the count when you can, but if you are struggling making contact, then be ready to jump on that first pitch, or the 1-0.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“You can’t go down on strikes with the bases loaded without swinging.”

Especially with two outs in the ninth and your team is down by two runs! What was he thinking? It would be hard to believe he was instructed to be that passive.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is a guy some wanted traded. Quietly has been one of the team’s most consistent performers for the last six weeks. Playing every day under Shildt.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It does not surprise me that Wong is progressing more towards his norm. He has the talent, it is just a matter of staying healthy and playing every day.

Wong is easily the best option we have at second, and Gyorko is the same at third. So as a manager, you do not get caught up in details at those two spots, you just plug in your best all-around options and let ’em get after it. Shildt is doing that much more than Matheny did, and Wong is one guy who seems to be especially benefiting from the show of faith in his abilities.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the exception of RF Shildt has been playing his best defensive team since taking over as manager. Wong needs to play everyday. It is nice to see his offense. Most of the players seem more relaxed now and just having fun. Winning will do that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years