Weekly St. Louis team recap

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Weekly St. Louis team recap

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Marilyn…. enjoy the updates. The history of All-Star games in St. Louis provided little excitement for the home town partisans. I’m not a fan of AS games… they stop the season which is a downer for me.
    I remember as a kid being very excited about those games…. matching my baseball cards with the rosters. the years of two AS games a season were special times. I didn’t know how or why the players were selected… and didn’t care. Now with the fan voting it seems less authentic.

Anyway… I wish that you would do an article on the ’63 AS game. The Cards had the entire starting infield. What a sight. White-Javier-Groat-Boyer, +Musial as a reserve. The reserves for the National League
    were a better bunch than the starters. Perennial All-Stars…. Torre-Cepeda-Mazeroski-Santo-Wills-Musial-Clemente-McCovey-Snider-Drysdale-Koufax-Marichal, plus Aaron and Mays as starters… all in the same dugout. Can you imagine that. ps N.L. won.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

I think this is going to be more than a lost week for the Cardinals – more like a lost year.

With the short season everything is magnified.

Somehow the team blew COVID protocol and that is going to result in too many double headers on the back side of the schedule.

Schildt somehow pulled a rabbit out his hat last season but I think the rabbit is already in the stew pot for 2020.

Of course, this time last year at the beginning of August things looked pretty grim as well….. but I don’t think lightning strikes twice.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If our pitching holds up, we have a shot. Anxious to see how Ponce, Gomber, Helsley,
    Reyes, Cabrera, Woodford, etc. do. Some of the younger guns.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the memory Marilyn. Just a thought…. how about look at the Musial 5HR doubleheader.

Just for the hell of it I wanted to look at the box scores from that day. In the second game Curt Simmons threw a 6-hit shut out for his 13th win of the season. It was Ron Perranoski who finally got Flood out with a K in the ninth.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

For some damn reason I don’t remember this game… and it was right under my nose at Shea. I guess I forgot many memorable moments during my life as a Card fan. Bake’s mad dash should be remembered by others… right? Did anyone stay up for it? Anyone.

Thanks Marilyn for relaying this blast from the past. Hey Marilyn, do you remember seeing it or reading about it the next day?

Oh yeah…. I was at Graduate School in Albany. Totally busy in those years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was a freshman in high school when that game was played. I don’t have specific memories of the game. I imagine I had other things on my mind at that time in my life.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years