Weekly St. Louis team recap

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Weekly St. Louis team recap

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 432 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Marilyn’s lasted weekly coverage included the top five statistically all-time relief pitchers which included Lindy McDaniel. I wanted to refresh my memory of him so I came up with this. He spent the first 8 seasons of his career with the Cards and he would go on to pitch a total of 21 seasons and retired at age 39.

His first year with STL came in ’55 at age 19 and his best season was 1960. That year the 6’3″ righty led the NL in saves with 27 and finished 3rd in the Cy Young balloting along with several other awards in his years with the Cards.

In October of ’62 he was traded along with Larry Jackson and Jimmy Schaeffer to the Cubs for George Altman, Don Caldwell and Moe Thacker. He would go on to pitch for SF-NYY-KC. In ’73 he was sent from the Yankees to KC for Lou Pinella.

Unfortunately, he passed away from covid-19 on Nov. 14th 2020 at age 84. RIP Lindy.

I guess the question begs, was he ever considered for the Cardinals HOF?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I missed your question from last week. It is a good one. Across the game, relievers have received less respect over time due to the stigma that “they weren’t good enough to start”. Had McDaniel pitched in today’s closer era, his results might be viewed even more favorably.

For the team Hall of Fame, he would be under the Veterans Era consideration. My feeling is that this group has had as good or better candidates than the Modern Era (which go on the fan ballot). Though we have already met for 2023, I will do my best to ensure we remember to look at McDaniel in 2024.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looking at how Monty fared is a good example of why I don’t agree with playing the best defensive team every day no matter what. He needed better hitting behind him. (In fact, he needed ANY hitting as both losses were shutouts.) Better defense wouldn’t have been a difference maker.

The Cards went 1-5 for the week while averaging just three runs of offense per game. They averaged just two in the LA sweep. The best defense in the history of MLB wouldn’t be good enough to propel a team scoring an average of only two or three runs per game into a consistent winner. That is especially the case given the pitching is just not dominant enough to excel with that low level of offensive support.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With a more porous defense Montgomery may have given up more runs than he did. Our 10% chance of victory would have been narrowed to 1%. I guess it comes down to do we think our “stronger” offensive lineup can overcome our “weaker” defensive lineup. I would vote no.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the argument is if you go with lesser defense to get better hitting, you have to get better hitting. If you don’t, then you might as well go back to better defense. My opinion is we didn’t get better hitting so lets put our best defense out there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 432 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.