Was Game 6 of 2011 World Series the best ever?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Was Game 6 of 2011 World Series the best ever?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since we are coming up on the 8 year anniversary of our 2011 World Series Championship, and with all of the dramatics of Game 6 I believe it was the greatest World Series game ever. What a game!!

Highlights as I recall them (and probably not in exact order):

Sloppy defense early as Freese drops a pop up.
    Berkman homers to give brief early lead.
    Holiday picked off at third.
    Craig homers to make it a 2 run game.
    Freese triples and ties it on a 2 strike, 2 outpitch.
    After Hamilton homered to give Rangers 9-7 lead, Berkman singles in tying run with another 2 strike, 2 out pitch. I loved the Joe Buck quote after Berkman’s hit “They will not go away”
    And of course, the Freese game winning homer which will go down forever in St Louis Cardinals lore.

And the best part of the game:
    I WAS THERE!!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

My other most favorite game was Carpenter versus Halliday 1-0 game. I can still see Chris Carpenter sliding face first into the first base bag.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I won a lottery from Brian to get this game on disc. It is the most amazing game I’ve ever seen. Personally, I have not mentioned this, but I had a major medical scare just then. In 2011 summer all my major organs shut down, at my age of 31. I was told I was going to die. I was put in a nursing home, given 3 months to live. I was put on hispice from 3 rivers care here locally. I was just coming back to life when they made their amazing run in september. Due to my kidneys starting to function again I went from 243lbs to 167lbs in 3 weeks. I watched this amazing turnaround in bed, with a roommate who was 82 and died a year later. This run in 2011 means so much to me. I was still in the nursing home for the carpenter/Halladay showdown but I had just gone home for the series. Now I am married, and my wife is due Nov 21st. So these games in 2011 meant so much to me. Most,carpenter vs Halladay, then game 6 vs the Rangers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mrperkins, I am so glad you are doing well!! The 2011 season meant a lot to me as well, as my uncle, dad, and mom all passed away within 3 months. I needed some positive news.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mr p…. hey thanks for sharing. Great comeback, you have to be so very thankful. Stay well and continue to comment here at TCN. Let us know boy or girl on Turkey day.

Now back to the topic. That was the best WS game ever. David Freese was unbelievably stellar. Every time I see the replays of those highlights I’m thinking that he must be bursting with pride. It was great stuff for us Cardinal fans. I don’t like to use the word “awesome” because of its overuse, but that’s the best way to describe the heroics in that game. Literally “awe”some.

27…. I was at the Boyer grand slam game in Yankee Stadium on that Sunday in ’64. I can still see that ball sailing towards the left field wall (I was sitting in right field) Great achievement but not even close to g.6 ’11. The excitement of being at that game at must be etched in your mind.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, that is some story Mr Perkins. So grateful for your recovery, and that really does put a lot of meaning on the 2011 Series for you.

While game six, 2011 ranks high among World Series games, and is likely the most incredible of any Cardinal WS game, I think game 7 1960 is the all-timer. First, it was a game 7. Then you had the lead going back and forth all game, and final heroics.

But I was not there to watch it, so as far as personal experience, game 6 2011 is the best to date.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember it was a very cold night, and there was a group of Rangers fans chanting “Napoli”. And with my occasional 16 year old high school brain, I started a group of Cards fans chanting “sucks” between their chants. Hey they were on our turf.
    And I remember the feeling of fans’ exuberance after the game. Strangers were high fiving, shaking hands, and even hugging everyone. (except the Rangers folks, of course) I think everyone present realized the greatness in Cardinal and baseball history we had just witnessed. I don’t EVER remember everyone being so happy. I think fans felt after that win, had that we would win Game 7, and World Series number 11, which, of course, we did.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think most people would rank it as the best Cardinal game of all time or at least in the top 3. I can’t argue with that much. Didn’t Daniel Descalso also have a key AB late in the game?

However for some reason my personal favorite is still Game 6 of the 1985 NLCS when Jack the Ripper sent the Cards to the World Series and sent the Dodgers home.

Participant

Paid - Annual

However for some reason my personal favorite is still Game 6 of the 1985 NLCS when Jack the Ripper sent the Cards to the World Series and sent the Dodgers home.

Ahhh…. this was another exciting moment for Card fans. Clark.. great, just great. One of my favs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

1985 was a great series. It’s funny that Niedenfeur was never the same after giving up homers to Jack and Ozzie.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, that is some story Mr Perkins. So grateful for your recovery, and that really does put a lot of meaning on the 2011 Series for you.

While game six, 2011 ranks high among World Series games, and is likely the most incredible of any Cardinal WS game, I think game 7 1960 is the all-timer. First, it was a game 7. Then you had the lead going back and forth all game, and final heroics with the Mazeroski walk-off homer and unlikely Pirate World Championship. This after being dominated all series by the might Yankees.

But I was not there to watch it, so as far as personal experience, game 6 2011 is the best to date.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a must read for this topic… check it out.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/memories-of-david-freese-2011-world-series

Participant

Paid - Annual

Two other favorites

Molina vs. Mets

Jack Clark vs. Dodgers

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ken Boyer’s grand slam vs. Yankees 1964 WS

What a great moment.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ny, thanks for posting the 1985 HR by Jack the Ripper. That is my all time favorite Cardinal moment, although this most recent 4 game sweep at Wrigley is moving up the list fast.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today is the nine eight-year anniversary of Game 6.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Small point for the greatest game ever, actually, it is the 8th anniversary

Participant

Paid - Annual

No player has ever provided more excitement in a world series game. Considering the circumstances, how could one? Darn near impossible.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Clark homer was one of those rare historic moments where you vividly recall exactly where you were when you witnessed it. I was at the Memorial Union at Az. State University. They had this dark quiet tv room on it’s lower level, where in between classes you could drop in to take a snooze or if you were a gal, you could check up on the goings on of your favorite soap opera, because that is all they ever had on, unless it was late in the day, where you could enjoy the mating habits of the Dumbo Octopus or whatever gem PBN was playing. It seated about 50 and you could hear a pin drop at all times. If someone did speak they would immediately be met with a chorus of agitated ssshhhhhh’s. Anyway on that beautiful October day in ’85, I think it was a Tuesday, I had just finished an exam and scurried on over to the tv room thinking that normal minds had prevailed and they would have the Cards – Dodgers game on. Wrong….. so I announced to all that I would give $10 to the person who could have the channel changed to “the ballgame”. It took about 3 minutes or so, but this one fellow did get it done and thus was $10 richer for his deed. Most of the girls (and a few nerdy guys) complained and waltzed right on out, while about 15 of us reveled in the moment. It was the bottom of the 6th inning. The fan base in that tv room was about 50-50, which surprised me. The Clark bomb was beyond ecstasy. We, along with a few newcomers, stayed until the final out. That was one joyous walk home to The Cinnamon Tree apartments.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing that Pugs. I was a senior in high school. I just remember watching it from my living room. I must have just gotten home from school.

I remember Jack taking about two minutes to round the bases and Pedro Guerrero slamming his glove down in LF (ironically he would be a Card three years later), and hearing Jack Buck proclaim “That one will send the Cardinals to the World Series” or something like that. It was magical.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now that his career is over, I hope that one day I cross paths again with David Freese. I’ve always wanted to ask him if he knew at the time that Game 6 would be his career pinnacle. (Asking that while he was still playing would have been inappropriate. Even after, I don’t want to belittle his other accomplishments, but still, I am curious if he knew in his heart that he could not top that.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

One more time…. the complete ninth inning plus the extra inning hits that won it for the Cards.

Scroll down to the Cards spot… its worth it. I still get chills watching it. Did anyone have a better clutch hitting game ever?

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/epic-half-innings-from-baseball-history

Participant

Paid - Annual

While the “Go Crazy Folks” Game 5 in 1985 gets more publicity I still like Game 6 in 1985 better.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I always wondered if Cruz took a better angle he might have caught Freeses’ triple in the 9th.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years