Wainwright & 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright & 2020

This topic contains 11 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 1982 willie 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Will he want to come back next year? Seems to be pitching fairly well for the most part here in 2019. And will the Cards want him to return in 2020? Or will the rest of the season determine that?

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who was able to post this thread

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking at recent history Mo might give him a three year extension. No disrespect to Waino but I would really like for this team to get younger. He has been pretty good at home this year but I still think it is time to move on. I doubt it will happen though.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree with Scotty. But Waino was pretty darn solid out there today. Glad to see The Esteemed One back riding high in the posting saddle once again.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It depends on how the rest of the season goes, but I’ve got nothing against giving him another 1 year contract at a reasonable price. I certainly hope he’s got a few more games like today’s in him. Glad we didn’t end up ruining it for him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a hunch, but I think Wainwright might prefer to leave on his own terms. If he finishes the year on a comparable level to his full season numbers, maybe he calls it a career. However, if he pitches the rest of way like he has since the first of June, he probably asks to come back.

Since I’ve been thinking about another career Cardinal pitching great in Gibson, I remember how sad I felt watching him struggle as a 39-year old in 1975. He stayed a year too long. Finally got pulled from the rotation before hanging them up for the final month. It did not damage his career legacy, though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s hold the phone on bringing Waino back. Love him for all he has done, but this decision can be tabled until the end of the year. I was, and still am, hoping that we get some young guns in the rotation, but health and performance have not made them a better choice than Waino.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

If Wainwright pitches as a positive force the rest of the year and wants to return, I would have no problem extending him for a year on a reasonable amount, perhaps incentive based.

Since the team’s dreadful May, he has six starts, with an ERA of 2.48 and a WHIP of 1.21. Maybe he’ll keep that going. It’s not like we know there will be a full complement of starters busting that door down.

ZTR
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

On one hand I’d like to see him traded to a contender and get a prospect or two. On the other hand the Cardinals are still in contention even at 46-45.

He’s been a great Cardinal so, in this case, I’d be for letting him have a lot of input in how and where he finishes his career.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino has been a great Cardinal, but the best case for everyone is probably that he retires at the end of the year. I suppose if he keeps pitching great maybe he’ll get a one year deal somewhere but I’m not sure it should be here unless it’s clear that there’s no other choice.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a tough one. That once prolific MEM rotation has dried up and then the Reyes situation has left only Woodford to compete for a starting role next season so he may be needed here for ’20.

In the way back in my mind a trade to a World Series contender at the deadline is one answer but probably will not be considered. The Card FO seems to make gods out of long-time favorites which the fans seem to agree with but not totally prudent.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Waino has earned (whether anyone likes it or not) the St Louis veteran option. like Yadi.

The org doesnt want them to play anywhere else, and if they want to play, they will find a way to make it happen.

Wiano got a huge incentivized contract this year, and if he wants to come back and do the same again. Then so be it.

We are far from having a soild 1-5 set without question marks looming. Even at what he is doing now he is still useful. And that doesnt even speak to his influence on the young kids.

Now if we go out and acquire Max Scherzer to go with Mik, Jack, Hud…I dont think Waino would WANT to try to compete with the horads for one spot in the rotation

with 2 spots and no identifiable Ace or leader, i think he stays and to be honest feels like he NEEDS to stay… I dont think he wants to leave the rotation without it being in a good place. he really does care about those other pitchers, and if it loosk to be a mess (as it does right now) i think he knows he can go out there and SHOW the other pitchers that despite age or past bad play you can still be good, and find ways to be good. HE is a good role model for the players on the team and especially the pitchers

If he is sub 4 ERA and doesnt go on the IL before the end of the year…and wants to come back…go for it…even at his age and performance he is the closest thing we have to consistency in the rotation

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well lets finish the year and see. if he finishes strong, I have problem with a one year deal. personally id rather he finish strong and call it a career as opposed to him being signed one more year and he does poorly and maybe gets cut during the year. also don’t want to see him go to another team to try but I understand his want to keep trying.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years