Tyler O’Neill injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Tyler O’Neill injury

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

do you / did you live in a AA city?

I’ve lived in Little Rock twice, three years in the 70s as a kid and 3 years as an adult in the 90s. Had season tickets to the Travs both times. Mostly have lived in St. Louis though.

In more recent years, most AA I’ve seen was Springfield, MO or Rogers, AR, close by the family’s patch of woods. For many years we’ve pitched in with kin folk thereabouts for Season tickets, usually for both those teams. The last two or three years we don’t get out that way like we did.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who has the capability to do that?

I’m not sure its a matter of having the capacity. More like their job is to be doing something else. And so is their bosses job. And the system has no mechanism for incorporating that sort of input, so it doesn’t matter if anybody is looking at it or not.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve lived in Little Rock twice, three years in the 70s as a kid and 3 years as an adult in the 90s. Had season tickets to the Travs both times. Mostly have lived in St. Louis though.

In more recent years, most AA I’ve seen was Springfield, MO or Rogers, AR, close by the family’s patch of woods. For many years we’ve pitched in with kin folk thereabouts for Season tickets, usually for both those teams. The last two or three years we don’t get out that way like we did.

We have traveled similar circles bling. I grew up in north Arkansas but all of our tv channels were out of Springfield, MO so it felt like I lived in Missouri.

I spent some time living in the Little Rock area and went to many Arkansas Traveler games. I saw Ray Lankford, Bernard Gilkey, and Todd Zeile play there and in later years I actually saw Mike Trout play there when they were an Angels affiliate. One afternoon in the early 2000’s I remember sitting behind home plate two rows behind Walt Jocketty.

I now live in the NW Arkansas area where the Royals AA affiliate Naturals play. I sometimes go when they are playing Springfield although I missed their most recent appearance. AA baseball is a lot of fun.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I honestly believe the movie Moneyball may have changed the game more than anything else in the last 100 years. Yes there have always been statistics and analytics to some degree but it used to be just one tool in the toolbox to consider instead of actual biblical text like it is now. I think a well run organization is one that will combine the use of analytics and old school scouts that use their eyes. I think it takes both.

Or another approach would be to just just copy the Rays and do what they do. They seem to have the midas touch.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And the system has no mechanism for incorporating that sort of input, so it doesn’t matter if anybody is looking at it or not.

Yep, that was my point. They’ve shed much of this skill set from the org, and don’t listen to what they’ve kept. It’s all so philosophically differentiating.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GScottar – I remember seeing all those same hitters (Lankford, Gilkey, Zeile) come up through the AAA team in Springfield, IL. We used to go to quite a few games. It was cheap entertainment back then. We’d pay like $4-$6 for bleacher seats and then move down to the boxed seats after the 3rd inning because they were never full and no one really cared. I loved Gilkey. And Zeile was a beast there too. Also, Dimitri Young is another outfield slugger that went through there who could really hit. But we traded him and he went on to hit well elsewhere.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Dimitri Young is quite the sports collectibles guy these days. I am a long time collector as well, and have seen some media info about how Young is really into sports cards and memorabilia.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.