TV packages to watch Cardinals games in 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TV packages to watch Cardinals games in 2020

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It appears that as call centers are taxed due to fewer employees working, customer service is suffering. Unfortunately, this is occurring most everywhere, including MLB apparently.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

When I was let go from my long-time corporate job in 2017, and went into semi-retirement (I now contract in accounting work for 9-10 months a year), my wife and I decided to cut the cord from our cable provider, Comcast (Denver, CO area).

Like Brian, I first tried to get a deal together with them, then tried to deal on internet-only, but they were not interested. Fortunately we have a great internet option with a company called CenturyLink. We have a locked-in-for-life agreement at $55 month for internet-only. I bought the modem as well, so do not have the rental charge on that. We decided to keep a land-line phone thru Vonage for $15/month.

For television I installed an antenna in our garage rafters and we get probably 40 channels over the air. I actually watch a lot of over the air stuff as I enjoy old movies and TV shows, and there are several channels that provide those (albeit with a lot of commercials). Then we have Roku and my wife has subscriptions to Netflix and Prime.

We have T-Mobile cell service, so I watch mlb.tv through their annual free subscription. That usually starts about now, but with the season being shortened who knows when or if they will continue that as a perk. If not I would likely pony up for the mlb.tv package.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Be aware, no subscription is required during this period. All MLB 2018 and 2019 games are available for free to all through MLB.TV, and many classic games are available in full on YouTube.

Of course, this will change once play resumes, but in the meantime, there is a lot to see for free.

Participant

Free

Well well well here it is opening day for the St Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds and the stands are empty. So I wandered over to YouTube and got a nice 1/2 hour or so of watching Budweiser Clydesdale commercials. Those were some really enjoyable viewing and brought back a lot of memories. IIRC, they no longer make them and the Super Bowl this year did not have any. But whenever this season does start (and I do think it will – eventually), those Clydesdales will be circling the diamond at Busch Stadium to a packed house. Try doing that for a diversion – watching the YouTube commercials. It makes the time go by faster. Now I will head back and watch the full Game 6 or the 2011 World Series. Us old folks have to have something to do.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good to hear people are finding things to watch. I am looking forward to MM3’s comments about how bad the announcers are on those Budweiser commercials, and all of the dumb things they said during game 6 of the 2011 World Series. With that one going extra innings, there should be a full thread worth of gaffes.

Participant

Free

bicyclemike:
    When the season starts you may or may not hear some of that. I hate to insult your fine appreciation for all things in announcer land. But I am most surprised that with all that is going on in this country you pick out my criticism of announcers as something to post about. Must reeeeeeally be a slow day at your house. You can sit and stare at your Tim McCarver signed program until the season starts.

Participant

Free

Wonder what the price mlbtv will be once they get er going again. My guess is they’ll almost have to offer the half season price to new subs. I’ll admit I’ll miss the late night games due to me cutting it off but If the price is right and I’m not too much in the poor house after being furloughed I may consider coming back.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’ve noticed in recent years MLB.tv’s subscription price goes down incrementally throughout the season — maybe month by month. I guess they’ll use a similar approach to discount the price for whatever is salvaged this year.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

No insult taken MM3. I think broadcasting is much harder than it looks, so I give the guys a break. I have always felt that if millions of people watched me work, not everyone would be pleased. But hey, you are free to criticize until your heart is content. I kind of get a kick out of reading your thoughts on the announcers.

Unfortunately I don’t have a McCarver autograph, but have a terrific 1961 scorecard with maybe 10-12 signatures including Ken Boyer. Bought it at a collectibles place. One day I hope to get COAs on those signatures.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years