TV packages to watch Cardinals games in 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TV packages to watch Cardinals games in 2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There was some talk about this on the Spring Training thread, but this really merits its own thread, I think. I am not copying all the posts, but below is my most recent one.

Also, if anyone has any questions about packages to watch Cardinals games, I (or others) will try to help. Just be specific about if you live in the Cardinals territory or not, because the answers are very different depending…

gscottar said:

MLB.TV has never been useful for me because of their silly blackouts. I enjoy baseball but I am not going to pay for that subscription if I can’t see Cardinal games. Fortunately my local cable provider still carries FSM.

This is a misconception – at least how you said it. The same blackouts apply to MLB.TV and MLB EI as your local cable provider. In fact they apply to all carriers. These territory blackouts are a really bad thing for consumers. Going back to the Bud Selig days, he said he would get it fixed but $omething $eemed to have gotten in the way…

However, I realize that I was also unclear earlier. A person would only want MLB.TV or MLB EI if he/she wants to watch OUT OF MARKET games.

Yes, if you live in the Cardinals territory, you specifically have to have a package that includes FOX Sports Midwest. However, FOX Midwest is included with most streaming services such as YouTube Live TV and Hulu + (but not Sling) – if you live in-market. So you are not bound to your overpriced cable – unless you want to be.

I wrote about my personal cord-cutting here. I felt very empowered (not to mention $100 less poor each month) starting the day I plopped my cable/DVR box on the Spectrum counter and said goodbye to cable.

My Roadmap to Cutting the Spectrum Cord

Participant

Free

Advice needed for watching Cardinal games this season.

Here is my situation. I live in central Oklahoma (rural) and currently have Dish Network that no longer carries FoxMidwest. Was paying extra for the Regional Sports package. I have checked with HULU and YoutubeTV but I would get FOXSouthwest instead of FoxMidwest. Because I am in the Cardinals territory, games are blacked out unless I have FoxMidwest. For example, Cardinal games on MLB network were still blacked out. Also, I don’t have great internet service but am currently able to stream content through Amazon Prime Video without to many problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I live in South Carolina and I stream Cardinals games only on MLB TV for $94.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

osuagec, sounds like you are in a pickle if you can’t get a provider who offers FSM.

Another option for similar situations would be to get a stream via VPN. Not sure how MLB.tv handles that these days, but it’s certainly something I’d look into, at least for the sake of curiosity, if I were you.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Regarding my statement on VPNs above, I found this on a web site (tvanswerman.com).

MLB.TV professes to oppose VPNs, including language buried deep in its terms of use for MLB.com that says anyone who attempts to “circumvent” a MLB.TV blackout restriction could lose his subscription and possibly be “:subject to legal action.”

But what exactly is the law that MLB suggests you would break if you use a VPN? The league is silent on that one. There is no reference to a criminal statute in the VPN section, and there is no record that the league has ever taken a violator to either criminal or civil court.

There are plenty of online testimonies from subscribers that the league has cancel their subscriptions for using a VPN, but again, no record it has ever brought criminal charges, despite the implicit threat it would do so.

Participant

Paid - Annual

osuagec said:

I have checked with HULU and YoutubeTV but I would get FOXSouthwest instead of FoxMidwest. Because I am in the Cardinals territory, games are blacked out unless I have FoxMidwest. For example, Cardinal games on MLB network were still blacked out.

That is similar to my situation. I have explored cutting the cord many times but always come back to the same dilemma. The only way I can get FSM is through my cable provider.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals games on MLB Network would always be blacked out no matter what if you are in Cardinals territory, which is not the same as FOX Sports Midwest territory. It depends on the exact location, but people in some areas without FS Midwest can still get most Cardinals games on another FS regional sports network.

For example, FOX Sports Tennessee and FOX Sports Southeast in the Memphis area run most FSM Cardinals games. In fact, I just got their spring schedule and they will carry 13 of the 15 FSM games. They usually carry about 135 regular season ones, but I don’t have that schedule yet.

I don’t know about Southwest, but I will ask around and see what I can find out.

Participant

Free

Good stuff brian. Im gonna check out my options though im limited cause my girlfriend likes general hospital and hallmark. she does have a roku tv so maybe I can figure something out.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no options for local channels here so like Brian, I have a streaming provider to watch anything on the networks that I want. YouTube TV is the best here so that’s what I went with. In another week I’ll be canceling my Dish so I won’t be double paying for TV. Thankfully, the Cards games amount to less than $8 a month, so well worth watching for as much as I view them. I wish I could do it for all my sports teams and could entirely cut out the TV packages.

Participant

Free

In Chicago (out of market), I’ve had decent luck with MLB.TV. There were issues a few years ago that games were randomly blacked out for zero reason, but most of the time it works and I often times watch on my computer, on mute, and the wife can watch whatever she wants on the main TV.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Chitown, just curious. Do you not like the broadcasters or not like headphones? 😉

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Here’s a question for experienced MLB.tv users.

For several years, I’ve mostly watched games via Extra Innings, but I also get MLB.tv “free” as part of the EI package. I have streamed a number of games via MLB.tv to my laptop, phone and TV. I have no problem with the basic functions, but maybe I’m missing a thing or two.

I like to flip between different live games from inning to inning and also like to occasionally “rewind” an inning or two. Sometimes I will watch an archived game, but like to move forward several innings sometimes. With MLB.tv, I feel like all of this is a very slow process compared to EI, at times I’m wanting to transition quickly. Also, when I watch an archived MLB.tv game, I sometimes get forced into watching commercials when I try to advance past an inning break, i.e., can’t move back or forward out of it.

MLB.tv is less expensive than EI, so I could save money by eliminating EI, but I don’t want to endure the inefficiencies described above. Maybe there are tips/tricks I am missing. Any suggestions?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I can’t really help, Euro. Hoping others can. I don’t watch games the same way you do, so other than basic functions, I don’t know.

Participant

Free

I checked out youtube channel list for my area. it doesn’t give fox sports Midwest. which is a bummer. it gives 2 channels each for fox sports Indiana and ohio but not the Midwest. that really sucks. fox sports Indiana does have their games sometimes but not all the time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982, I also suggest you look at Hulu+ Live TV and Sling Orange+Blue.

Although, your problem may be more basic. If your local cable outlet is not in FOX Midwest territory, then you will not be able to get it via streamers either. The MLB territories hold no matter who delivers your service.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is an update as promised the other day.

“FOX Sports Southwest Plus in Arkansas and Oklahoma carry virtually every Cardinals game in the entirety of those two states.”

Note the Plus. A second channel. Their exact schedule is supposedly on its way to me.

Participant

Free

well I actually found out they changed my fox sports Midwest to fox sports Indiana on my cable. they do tend to carry the cardinal games. the pacers and some other Indiana stuff will usually replace them but then the cardinals usually get put on the non hd channel. checked them all but in the end I think youtube probably gives the most channels. but the bummer is we have a full house with 6 tvs and all of the choices have a limited number of streams usually 3, I think one might have went to 4. I guess im gonna have to wait til a few more leave the nest. also I have wow internet service which the router is built into like a all in one box and the speeds really jump around, or I lose internet entirely like I did watching Netflix the other night so I would probably have to go to a even higher package far as internet goes. 100 mps should be enough but not if it jumps around.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For folks just getting into cord-cutting, the Roku Streaming Stick is on sale at Amazon for just $39. This would essentially replace your cable box if you switch to a streaming service instead. MLB.tv is one of the many Roku apps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XLWML4/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My MLB.tv subscription was already automatically renewed at full price and it is past the five-day cancellation window. I have asked them what their full or partial refund policy is.

My MiLB one is supposed to be picked up on or about the 18th. If they don’t announce some financial accommodation plans before then, I will pull my credit card info so they don’t charge me for games I cannot watch.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I was thinking along with you, Brian. I canceled my Verizon FIOS MLB Extra Innings package (which includes MLB.tv). It was set for auto renewal. The annual bill gets split in half over April and May. You can opt out as late as 10 days prior to the start of the regular season. I’m not sure how they’ll handle billing now for those who don’t opt out, and I didn’t want to find out. So if anybody else has a similar package, you might want to take action now. I figure I can always add it back later when things get going again.

Also, unlike previous years, I have been able to log into my MLB.tv account for Spring Training games this year. So I have been watching all the Spring games exclusively via MLB.tv since Extra Innings doesn’t kick in until regular season. Streaming MLB.tv to my TV has been a pretty good experience, so I think I’ll go with just that instead of Extra Innings when and if the season resumes. It would save about $70 over a full season.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

My dilemma here is that I have a combined package for MLB.TV and MILB.TV that I have had for about 3 years. If I cancel, I am not sure I would be able to get that combined plan back at the price I have been paying. I think I will just ride it out and see if they will end up doing anything for annual subscribers.

Larry Cardinal

Participant

Free

I cancelled mine before it was due. I’ll sit this one out as I’ve got an alternative source.

My guess is they’ll be playing the first weekend in May. This madness won’t be allowed to go on past mothers day weekend. The hallmark holiday will win out eventually.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I have been attempting to cancel my Cardinals games only subscription for MLB.TV. So far I haven’t heard a word back from them.

– When calling, you hear that they are only open on Saturday and Sunday in the middle of the day
    – When you call on a Saturday or Sunday, you never get through to anyone
    – Using the “Contact Us” form is a waste of time
    – I have sent in multiple “Refund Requests” and “Cancellation Requests” and have never heard a word

After being fed up with the process, I just disputed the charge with my credit card company. Due to this being a service, I believe it will be quite easy for them to give me a refund. I’ll provide an update if I run into any issues.

The way MLB.TV has handled this will definitely make me spend more time figuring out another option if/after the season resumes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years