Tommy Edman – Center Field?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Tommy Edman – Center Field?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice din-din selection, Dave. CardinalinFrance would approve. Go see The Joker, Dave. Joaquin is one nasty madman!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Tommy Edman is a full-time player at any infield or outfield position.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Nice to meet you Mr. Edman. I do enjoy watching your son play.

PadsFS
    Participant

atripleshyofthecycle

Lastly, those who think Edman is going to be a 120 OPS+ guy for the balance of his career are likely suffering from Joe McEwing Fan Disease. He’s not going to slug .500 very often, if ever again, and his on base skills aren’t great, either. He’s more of a .725 – .750 OPS guy than he is the .850 OPS guy he’s been this year

Joe McEwing is not a good comp for Edman. First, McEwing had an incredible 82 wRC+ in his initial year with the Cardinals (1999) at age 26/27 and was thought so highly of, that he was traded for Jesse Orosco. As much as I liked him and Bo Hart, they were sideshows. McEwing was an underdog, he got drafted 28th out of a community college and worked his way through the system slowly.

Edman was a standout in high school. Then he went to Stanford and excelled as first team All-PAC12 player. He played in the Cape Cod league. He was drafted in the 6th round and skyrocketed through the system. AA allstar, AAA playoff MVP, AFL representative. Then, he played this year with a 123 wRC+. He will be an everyday player on this team for a while.

PadsFS
    Participant

Edman was also talked about QUITE a bit here during the prospect votes as he had a lot more walks than k’s that first year. I believe he won the TCN rookie player of the year that year.

Look at what wileycard wrote about him that year:

wileycard These are exciting times in the Cardinals farm system. But WAIT, it doesn’t stop there; totally lost in this past draft is the immense upside of Tommy Edman. His had the best slg% of them all. He too has exceptional speed and has a high obp also; hits for average, decent power and is a terrific fielder. Where the heck are we going to play him in St. Louis???

14NyquisT
    Participant

If you can hit… they’ll find a spot for you. With Edman I see more than a flash in the pan and I believe he will improve at positions he may be called on to play as needed… LF, SS, and CF. He looks like something special to me.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.