Tommy Edman

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what team would trade for DeJong but this is precisely why I pay very little attention to spring training stats. DeJong looked like a combination of Mike Schmidt and Lou Gehrig this spring but when the real season starts he reverts back to normal.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yep GScottar its looking again like spring training or triple A is where he shines? Better get it going or?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I don’t know who would trade for DeJong right now either. I think there’s at least a possibility Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, and maybe San Francisco would have some interest. I know they’ve got to do something though.
    Gorman has another bomb tonight…and another K. Yepez has a bomb and after a slow start has picked it up.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’ve always liked Edman as a player. He’s fun to watch. I think kscardfan’s description of “gamer” is spot on. I know some stats guys don’t like that kind of description because it’s hard to support with large amounts of data, but some players rise to the occasion better than others. Edman gives more than what a casual glance at his stat line might indicate to some, IMO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

My guess is the FO is hoping he will raise his trade value so the scenarios above can play out much easier.

While the FO continually is delusional about players that they overpaid for… the team suffers. They have tied Marmol’s hands…. this is a sticky situation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For DeJong to raise his trade value he would have to go on a hot streak but if he goes on a hot streak the team would just keep him. They would say “this is what we have been expecting all along.”

He still has some defensive value and there might be some teams out there interested in that but the Cardinals would have to pay some of the contract down.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He currently has the best WAR in baseball in 2022…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

WAR
    Tommy Edman
    Tommy
    Edman 1. Tommy Edman 3.67
    2. Sandy Alcantara 3.58
    3. Aaron Judge 3.45
    4. Manny Machado 3.41
    5. Rafael Devers 3.21

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman has been stellar. I was not completely sold on him before, but he’s a super valuable player. I’m glad he’s a Cardinal. Congrats to all his biggest fans for the validation.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’ve always have been an Edman fan going back to 2016 when I saw him while he was playing for State College in the NY/PA League. I can remember being the first to place him on the Community’s top prospects list that Fall. I just saw something in the kid…. and he had a very good season that year.

He is involved in the spider web PDJ situation. But he will continue to be in the starting lineup…. somewhere.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I had the late Cardinal Scout, Charles Peterson tell me that all of the Cardinal’s scouts misevaluated him and should have taken him higher out of Stanford. I have been a big fan of Tommy since I first saw him. He is a unique talent that is a switch hitter, is fast, and can play multiple positions well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we now have two Tommy Edman’s on the team with Brendan Donovan now on the roster. Donovan is not a switch hitter and not quite as fast but I see some similarities between the two. Both are versatile, can hit, and play really hard.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Yes, Brendan Donavan is one of my favorites too.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“I had the late Cardinal scout, Charles Peterson, tell me that all of the Cardinal scouts misevaluated him and should have taken him higher out of Stanford.”

Ah, but those same Cardinal scouts did a better job evaluating Tommy than the scouts from every other organization. That’s why we’ve got him now.

I look at Tommy’s college numbers and understand how he lasted until the 5th round of the draft.
    Stanford career: 168 games, .281 with 4 HR, 5 3B, and 31 2B. And he was just 15-for-23 stealing.
    So we see that he wasn’t particularly good at anything — except presumably defense. He slugged a dreadful .365 with metal college bats for his college career, and just .371 his final season, so there was no indication that he was improving. But the Cardinal minor league scouts/coaches saw something and DID help him improve markedly at driving the baseball. (His per-AB HR rate has quadrupled, from college to the major leagues.) And somebody sure taught him something about stealing bases.

Guys like you hit the nail on the head, GameCard. Even after Tommy’s terrific 2019 debut, I didn’t think he would settle in as a star-quality major leaguer. But thanks to speed, defense, and durability he’s been an incredible asset to the organization — as people like you said from the start.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He is a player. Analytic front office people don’t necessarily like players like Tommy in the draft. Doesn’t fit their mold. I am glad they drafted him. He is my favorite Cardinal player and makes the Cardinals go.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Great catch by Tommy. Wow!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

If any of you get a chance go to the Cardinals team web page and watch Mark De Rosa’s piece on Tommy Edman’s value-added. He calls Edman the perfect player. I concur.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Tommy Edman getting love

A new piece on Edman being good in all facets

Sorry GameCard you just posted this.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Vote for Tommy Edman for the All-Star team.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years