Thom Brennaman’s Comment

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Thom Brennaman’s Comment

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What in the world is going to happen to young Mr. Brennaman???

r/Esteemed Rat

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He has been suspended and rightfully so.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is the comment sharable? Ok I found it. Just like the N word gay people call themselves and each other this (fag) all the time. Ridiculous double standard.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He’s a clown for saying that anywhere near a mic.

I’d say his career is about finished at least for the time being.

bccran
    Participant

Should have gotten a slap on the wrist and docked a few day’s pay.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Irrespective of how anyone personally feels about the word, Brennaman has to know better than to say it when a camera is near. I can’t even understand the context of why he would say it. He’s probably going to get fired and all to say something that had no reason to be said.

bccran
    Participant

Big deal. I had black guys on the college football team I played on call me honky. We just laughed back then. People are way too serious and sensitive nowadays.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brennaman has issued a detailed apology. Perhaps we could all learn along with him.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinion/2020/08/20/thom-brennaman-what-said-wrong/3401957001/

bccran
    Participant

Very nice apology. But my earlier comments stand.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As expected.

bccran
    Participant

BW – we’re a country of immigrants. There have always been Italian neighborhoods, Irish neighborhoods, Hispanic neighborhoods, Asian neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, etc. It’s a big strength of this country. A melting pot. But we’re not all the same. We have different cultures and traditions. That’s great. And we can kid around about each other without being offensive. My black friends have taught me that. They call each other a name that others are horrified by. And they call me cracker and honky. And that doesn’t offend me at all. Again, this broadcaster should be disciplined somewhat, but he’s not a drug kingpin or physical assailant. He just made a slip of the tongue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That you are not offended by being called a term of contempt (look it up) is your right. But this isn’t about you.

Brennaman has been suspended from his job calling games for the Reds and has been fired from his job calling NFL games for FOX. Several Reds players came out publicly against his remark. He has apologized and has a plan going forward. I hope he is sincere about learning from it.

bccran
    Participant

I hope he’s serious too…. if the remark was vindictive. I went through USAF flight school in Selma, Alabama 9 months after the march. A woman in town told me “you Yankees are just as prejudiced as we are, you’re just hypocritical about it.” There’s some real truth in that remark. Even today.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Or my friend from Boston while recently in Charleston SC being told “why don”t you damn yankees go back up North where you belong.” (I wish I could write with a Southern drawl!) I would say that is also contemptuous speech but because “yankees” may be less sensitive than some other groups no one really gets upset about it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To say something like that on an open mic is a dumb*** move. He deserves to get canned based on stupidity alone.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Talking disparagingly about a mass group of people into an open mic on a telecast does not compare to two individuals conversing, especially the one example cited where the two people are friends. All the personal anecdotes in the world do not explain or justify Brennaman’s actions and his employers clearly did not find it acceptable.

bccran
    Participant

Doesn’t excuse it, but he didn’t think the mic was open. Kinda like our manager’s profanity laced private tirade that went viral because of Arozarena.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Using profanity as Shildt did was not derogatory comments about a minority group. Not the same. You are reaching.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’m not sure I agree with your idea about a public comment vs one between two individuals. Just because it is a bigger or smaller stage to me doesn’t make one any less egregious than the other.

I dont speak for his employer or know what their motives are or are not. I can only give my opinion of the situation.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, many have gotten opinions out. Personally, I am hoping we can soon leave this thread behind, which I would never have started in the first place, and get the discussion back to Reds baseball and their games with the Cardinals, not their suspended announcer… Good night, all…

bccran
    Participant

If you had your choice, would you continue with Carlson for awhile longer, or go back to Harry for the rest of this series?

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m disappointed in what I am reading here. This remark was uttered with absolute contempt and should be looked upon the same.

bccran
    Participant

I have contempt for every Cardinals opponent when they play them. Go Cards against the Reds tonight.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should be done, IF he can truly change, which will take true commitment and time, then i would be fine but that evaluation isnt done by Thom it’s done by the public and those attacked. But growth and change can happen, and i truly do hope he can change. Now that says nothign for the fact that i dont think he is all that good of a commentator and rode his dads coattails to get him where he is.

AND…this wasn’t a slip, saying it the WAY he said it you can tell he is comfortable and willing to say it and not only say it MEAN IT. It’s absolutely horrible and indefensible.

That he has finally got caught is why he is apologizing, he may feel sorry but i have yet to see anything stated that in any way shows he understands the severity of his remarks and how they hurt people. HE is saying what he thinks he needs to say so he can get his job back, not actually change.

Time and actions for change are the only thing that can be done at this point if he truly wants to be better. An apology is required but it does nothing nor in any way is enough to make up for what he did.

What he has to do is apologize for the way he is thinking and believing and treating other people, all i have seen is apologizing for being caught. Further disrespecting, marginalizing, and belittling the people he is supposedly apologizing to.

and this topic was started specifically about this issue…so trying to bully it into a line of “getting back to baseball” talk is just disrespectful to the desire of the board to talk about this issue if it wants. This isnt a post in the gameday chat or trade ideas and rumors. We are allowed to talk about this without someone trying to force us not to talk about it if we want. If you don’t want to talk about it, leave, there are plenty of other topics to talk baseball in.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m disappointed in what I am reading here. This remark was uttered with absolute contempt and should be looked upon the same.

I concur. This old excuse of “boys will be boys” or “it is just locker room talk” is total BS. This is 2020 not 1960.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.