The 2019 Season Boils Down To This

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The 2019 Season Boils Down To This

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 1982 willie 6 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The four game series at Wrigley Field Sept 19-22.

Period.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Typical RatsBuddy authored thread. One moment he has you in stitches….then at the drop of a hat he has you fighting mad…..then the next moment you’re dabbing the tears away …..then before you know what hit you, you’re jumping out of your chair giving high fives to anyone within range. Bravo Esteemed Rat….bravo!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’ve been saying for a month, if they have a 2 game lead going into that series, they can win the division, if not, I’m much less than hopeful.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Geez… where’s all the faith in this team? My team is more than just in it… they are in first-place going into Sept. I’d like to know what happened to all the die-hard believers. Let’s hear some optimism from the Cards fans.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geez… where’s all the faith in this team? My team is more than just in it… they are in first-place going into Sept. I’d like to know what happened to all the die-hard believers. Let’s hear some optimism from the Cards fans.

Seeing the Cubbies beat the stuffing out of us the last four years and our team repeatedly fall flat in September has tempered some of that optimism. I think we are all very cautiously optimistic, with an emphasis on cautious.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Head to head record Cards vs. Cubs:
    2018: 10-9
    2019 to date: 5-7
    Combined: 15-16

How is basically even the last two years being “stuffed”?

It was long time ago and a lot of personnel have changed on both sides since the Cubs were the 2016 World Champions.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian we have been over this many many many times. I am not talking about just head to head.

2015- Cubs advance further
    2016- Cubs advance further
    2017- Cubs advance further
    2018- Cubs advance further
    2019- TBD

That is why a good portion of our fans are cautious.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree the Cubs advanced further, but that was not what you said before. I disagree that “the Cubs have been beating the stuffing out of the Cardinals”, because they haven’t in the last two seasons. As I have suggested in the past, I believe you give the Cubs way too much credit today for results from multiple years ago.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The most concerning thing is we are 0-6 at Wrigley this year and 5-19 in our last 24 games there. There is no way to sugar coat that. That 4 game series there in a couple of weeks looms large. The final 3 at Busch may be too late if we get punked at Wrigley again.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fortunately, games at both venues count equally in the standings.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fortunately, games at both venues count equally in the standings.

Well I didn’t know that. Thanks for the clarification.

I am just hoping we don’t have to win all three at Busch to win the division. Maybe we will shock the world and bully the Cubs around at Wrigley.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Current MLB playoff odds (updated real time and taking into account future match-ups and even game locations!):

Cards 89%
    Cubs 75%
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-mlb-predictions/

Fangraphs
    Cards 86.1%
    Cubs 82.2%
    https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

Chances are better than not that one team takes the division and the other is the wild card, with the Cardinals currently holding the upper hand.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In all seriousness Brian and back to Ny’s question, why do you think a portion of our posters are cautious or wary about our chances? I am curious about your take on that.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m taking Gscottar’s side on this one, that four game series up here (in Chi), is scary to say the least. I would guess the Cards can win one which might be overly optomisitc…. The Cubs are way more talented overall than the Cardinals 1-8, and if they turn it on at Wrigley, season over or 1 game playoff, with no ace facing Mad Max at home.

This 8 game homestead in 6 days against subpar teams is essential in gaining a lead, 1-0 now, but it needs to end up being 8-0 or 6-2 at the least.

#GCOLETOCARDINALSIN2020 – I don’t twit, but that should be a hashtag thing – Pugs, help me out on this, after the Turkey!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think the Cubs’ .662 success at home this season has some assuming it is more than an anomaly, like it has future predictive power. The Cardinals are currently .640 at home, but no one talks about that. In 2015, the Cards were even better at home at .679 than the Cubs are this year. How much did it matter in October?

For those who are logical about it, I sense the general trepidation is less about the Cubs (who are on a multiple-year downward slide of their own – currently with their worst winning percentage since 2014) and more about the Cardinals.

After three bad seasons, many aren’t going to get their hopes up about the Cardinals until the team actually does it. Assume the worst and hope for the best. The glasses stay at least half empty until full again.

P.S. I readily agree the seven remaining head-to-head games will be huge. I just don’t have negative feelings about it. Looking forward to it, actually.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I might be a bit biased in regards to the cards on the road…. I’ve been to 6 Cards games at Wrigley this year and 4 at Miller Park, and they have won a total of 1. I probably should just go to Mexico or Canada for that series…. Maybe the Congo in Africa might be the best bet?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s just plain bad luck (1-10), CardsFanInChiTown. You were 0-9 before Monday night’s game, which really must have had you spinning. I’m not really a believer in black cats traversing under ladders, not stepping on lines and stuff like the #13 being unlucky…..but maybe it’s best that you don’t visit Wrigley during our upcoming critical series in the friendly confines.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The most concerning thing is we are 0-6 at Wrigley this year and 5-19 in our last 24 games there. There is no way to sugar coat that. That 4 game series there in a couple of weeks looms large. The final 3 at Busch may be too late if we get punked at Wrigley again.

One thing I’d say to that is that while the Cubs may be slightly better than the Cards overall (maybe, as the Cards have a much better bullpen and are better defensively, with the rotations about a wash and the Cubs the better lineup), the Cards are about due. It’s tough to win every game over a relative equal even if they are at home. I’d have to see the matchups before predicting much in those series.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman, Flaherty and Hudson have propelled this club into the same “league” as the cubbies. Bryant and Schwarber appeared to be frightening monsters to cub opponents as they entered this league, but have failed to live up. Both viable MLers, but not super stars. Their starting pitching is aging and uninspiring, with their bullpen in worse shape. And the great thing for Cardinal fans…….what young players do the cubs have coming down the pike that strike fear in you? This appears to be the perfect time for two things to occur…. the Cards to overtake the cubs and for Joe & Theo to skip town.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs would be 6 or 7 games out right now if it wasn’t for the deadline steal of Nick Castellanos. He has been unbelievable, kind of like when we got Cesar Cedeno for the stretch run in 1985. For those too young to remember google it. I think he hit over .400 for us.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For a bit more modern example…Will Clark in 2000. Sometimes the deadline moves really pay off.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We better make hay against the Pirates this weekend, then at the Rockies, and then Milwaukee at home.

The thought of these four games is just about to give me that gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach. Oh what joy it would be to take Game One.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Most likely a split at Wrigley would give us the division, winning one would still give us a chance, but getting swept and we are headed to DC for the wild card game. Surely we can win one game there.

mspaid
    Participant

Against Sherzer or Strasburg? Hmmmmm.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well with the cardinals tough schedule remaining, im being cautious. yea they have been great for the most of the second half, we have to play to the end. im pretty sure about the pitching, just not sure how we are gonna do against better pitchers. funny thing is brewers helped us but at same time kept themselves in it. if they get hot and we and the cubs just go five hundred with each other, they could sneak in there. we do play them next weekend so that will give us a chance to hurt them but they have same chance.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years