Supplimental Prospect Awards

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Supplimental Prospect Awards

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Nigel T 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Wiley
    Participant

Free

Last Year we added another little fun prospect voting process to help with the off-season and it went like this:
    1. The C.C ‘I told you’ Top Surprise player Medal of Honour goes to Lane Thomas!
    2. The Pads ‘my stats’ FS Largest Development player Medallion of Achievement goes to Elehuris Montero!
    3. The Bob ‘Must’ Reed Trophy of impending greatness for Breakout player goes to Jake Woodford!
    4. The 14Ny’in’quis’istion’Top prospect acquisition Cup easily goes to Malcolm Nunez!
    5. The Bw52 ‘I didn’t bomb’ Award for Most under-rated prospect, (Bw52 was the only one to give Lane Thomas any love last year.), goes to 2 players; Tommy Edman and Jeremy Martinez!

1. Lane Thomas was a fantastic choice by our voters since he continued to surprise by making it to the majors. 2. Largest Development to Montero was followed by a season of largest decline. Ouch!!! 3. Breakout Player to Woodford. Voters get cred for this one even though Dylan Carlson was the correct answer. Jake was still within the top five. 4. Top prospect acquisition, well Nunez still has a long way to go and may some day prove to be way better then Giovanny Gallegos. 5. Most underrated; Tommy Edman. Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! And a loser; Jeremy Martinez released for various and sundry reasons.

All in all, I’d say the voters did a terrific job. So let’s do it again starting with the C.C ‘I told you’ Top Surprise player Medal of Honour for 2019. Pick your top 5 candidates in order

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Top Surprise Player
    1. Tommy Edman
    2. Tommy Parsons
    3. Kodi Whitley
    4. Angel Rondon
    5. Lane Thomas

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1.Edman- He is a player that will skip the sophomore jinx. He works hard and will avoid that myth.
    2.Rondon- Very successful season, and made good enough progress to climb up the depth chart.
    3.Whalen- Previously disappointment and now showing what we were waiting for.
    4.Whitley- Made good strides this season. How high can he advance? Good question.
    5.IHerrera- He has the potential and backed it up with a strong performance in ’19. Should move up to AA at age 20. Impressive.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Biggest Surprises:

1. Junior Fernandez. He came back from the wasteland of injury to look like a legit closer candidate for the future.

2. Dylan Carlson. Yeah, most expected him to break out eventually but not “league MVP/top 50 prospect” break out.

3. Delvin Perez. Becoming something close to average with the bat was a nice shock to those of us who had given up on him.

4. Johan Oviedo. Another one we hoped would break out and he looked good at Palm Beach but appeared to tire at Springfield. Still, he had a couple of electric outings which showed his potential.

5. Tommy Edman. He was a surprise, but not that big a surprise. He always has looked like a good backup player so his half season of excellence wasn’t impossible. He did very well for himself.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stl25.. those are also great picks. I hope Perez continues to improve. That would be so advantageous for the system. Oviedo has the stuff that can continue to impress.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Kodi Whitley: This guy came out of nowhere. It would not be a surprise to see him in St. Louis in 2020.

2. Junior Fernandez: I would have never guessed he would make it to St. Louis in 2019.

3. Edmundo Sosa: He is forgotten too often. The Cards are desperate but for a backup SS. He could be the guy.

4. John Nogowski: He has been looked upon in the past as nothing more as minor league filler. He shouldn’t be viewed that way any longer.

5. Delvin Perez: A very solid bounce back year while some considered his career to be over.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For those who listened to the interviews on here, Whitley wasn’t too much of a surprise. I think it was Peoria’s manager last year (?) who immediately singled him out as a future MLB player. That team had some talented arms including Oviedo, Seijas, Brian Dobzanski, Winston Nicacio and Jake Walsh.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

1. The C.C ‘I told you’ Top Surprise player Medal of Honour goes to TOMMY EDMAN!

2. The Pads ‘my stats’ FS Largest Development player Medallion of Achievement for 2019 voting is now open.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Largest Development vote
    1. Dylan Carlson
    2. Kodi Whitley
    3. Randy Arozarena
    4. Delvin Perez
    5. Junior Fernandez

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1.Edman- Making it to MLB sooner than expected and hitting .305 is the essence of development.
    2.Arozarena- His streaky career ended with a full season of breakout progress.
    3.Carlson- I’d like to see a partial season of AAA then heading for Busch.
    4.Rondon- No doubt increasing his stock within the organization and he erased a lot of doubt.
    5.IHerrera- Watch out Knizner, this guy showed he can play two-way ball.

Oviedo- Becoming a top tier pitching prospect.
    DPerez- Showing signs of being 1st round draft pick and showing the maturity that he needs.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Fernandez
    2. Carlson
    3. Perez
    4. Oviedo
    5. Edman

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I always wondered why Winston Nicasio was released. Maybe he was a trouble maker? He put up good 2019 numbers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, your recollection is slightly off. Nicacio had been around so long he became Rule 5 eligible last December. That is how he went to the Pirates. Minor league phase.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I remember that now. I had him in my top 50 prospects. BUt it is weird, but makes sense now how the transaction looks in MILB.com:

Indianapolis Indians claimed RHP Winston Nicacio off waivers from State College Spikes.

Mrperkins
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I was among the most vocal supporters that Perez would bounce back. My comparison was the inauspicious start of Oscar Mercado.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a reminder that you can find that kind of player detail quickly right here. Just type his name in the blue box with the magnifying glass at the far upper right of the page. You will get his player page which includes when he was signed and how he left, awards, as well as all articles in which he was mentioned.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

The Pads ‘my stats’ FS Largest Development player Medallion of Achievement for 2019 goes to DYLAN CARLSON! That’s no big surprise really.

And now the Bob ‘Must’ Reed Trophy of impending greatness for Breakout player for 2020. Voting is now open.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Breakout Player for 2020
    1. Justin Williams
    2. Malcom Nunez
    3. Luken Baker
    4. Ludwin Jimenez
    5. Terry Fuller

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Carlson- IMO there’s no doubt that Carlson has been highly thought of by the organization since he was drafted in ’16. At age 18 he was sent to Peoria… they were challenging him. Dylan’s numbers in his first three seasons were nothing close to eye opening. he was being promoted on his potential versus his performance. This past season…. performance kicked in.
    1b. Angel Rondon- In ’19 he blossomed into a serious prospect. The community ranked him #9. Last season his named wasn’t even mentioned, even in the 75-100 selections. That’s a break-out.
    3. Edman- “Making it to MLB sooner than expected and hitting .305 is the essence of”… a breakout. The only thing lacking in this category is that he had good numbers right along. But his ’19 season was especially satisfying and IMO there’s more to come.
    4. Perez- Not that he had an outstanding season but performance has started to catch up to his potential, which is still on the table. In ’19 he has renewed the hopes of a big move upward. His breakout is that he seems to have matured… a big accomplishment.
    5.Whitley- This season the community=#20… last season= who? BobReed should be proud.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT; This one is for who you think will break out in 2020

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

1 Luken Baker Big power numbers in Texas league
    2 Victor Garcia showed he can hit but now adds a glimpse of power
    3 Scott Hurst gets healthy and playing time in Springfield
    4 Griffin Roberts moves into a surprising Springfield rotation
    5 Steven Gingery makes a huge splash after lurking in the weeds for nearly two years

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Avatar Nigel T.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2020 Breakout Player:

1. Ludwin “the Magnificent” Jimenez. This kid isn’t messing around. It’s only a matter of time before he picks up attention.

2. Elehuris Montero. I know he was already broken out in 2018, but he will re-establish himself as one of the best hitting prospects in the minors next year.

3. Luken Baker. He will show off some crazy power at Springfield.

4. Zack Thompson. I think he will move quickly through the system with his excellent stuff wreaking havoc on opposing batters.

5. Francisco Justo. A real shot in the dark here but I like the maturity and he’s got a shot to become a factor for the team going forward. Next year I think we see a big step.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

3. the Bob ‘Must’ Reed Trophy of impending greatness for Breakout player for 2020 goes to LUKEN BAKER. I guess we all think there will be a power explosion coming. Well let’s hope so.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

4. The Bw52 ‘I didn’t bomb’ Award for Most under-rated prospect in the system is next.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Most under-rated;
    1.John Nogowski
    2. Jose Godoy
    3. Logan Gragg
    4. Connor Thomas
    5. Kyle Leahy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years