StL 2019 Game 99 thread: Sun 7/21 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 99 thread: Sun 7/21 at Reds

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday, July 21 12:10 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (4-6, 4.41) vs. RHP Anthony DeSclafani (5-4, 4.29)
    FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Will Goldfinger get the day off in this one? He is completely lost at the plate and utterly worthless right now so I am expecting him to sit in this one.

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I just checked FG and Bader’s WAR is equal to Goldschmidt’s, Carpenter’s, and Molina’s combined:

1.1 = 1.0 + 0.3 + (-0.2) respectively

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let the kids play!

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

The Cards are (somehow) right in the thick of the Division and Wild Card races.

Of course, the WC (particularly the 2nd slot) will go to a pretty average team and is designed to keep teams and more importantly their fans that may be getting smoked in their respective division races something to be interested in.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Today’s lineup is as light a hitting bunch as can be imagined. I’m sure Flaherty is just thrilled.

Now watch them go collect 20 hits and a dozen runs, lol.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geez, that’s like the Memphis lineup. Hopefully they can find a way to score enough for the win. Of course, Flaherty hasn’t had much run support lately anyway.

Participant

Free

Well, I’m about to sit down to an early Sunday dinner starting with cold melon, then chicken livers and shallots sautéd in butter and flambéd in Armagnac, crispy French fries and a green salad with fresh lettuce from our vegetable garden. Hope that inspires these kids to knock the cover off the ball today. I’ll be back for the first pitch.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Really, the only changes in the lineup are these:

Munoz playing over Wong.
    Ravelo over Goldschmidt.
    Knizner over Wieters.

We know Goldy is slumping badly but has started every game for weeks. Many want to see more of Knizner. Why not give it a try?

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are (somehow) right in the thick of the Division and Wild Card races.

We need to win the division. The only thing the wild card will get you is an opportunity to get swept by the Dodgers. Of course it would giver the front office the opportunity to tell the fans” hey we are playoff team so get off our back.” I agree it would be better than missing the playoffs but we need to win the division.

Participant

Paid - Annual

And I like today’s lineup. Let the kids play.

Participant

Free

that was a heck of a lot of pitches to start.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Flaherty labors through 86 pitches to get through 4 1/3 innings and was unhappy about being removed with the bases loaded. Gallegos escaped the jam with two strikeouts – impressive. The Cards hold onto their 2-0 lead.

Participant

Free

Phew! Gallegos saves Flaherty’s bacon.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Gallegos shuts the door again. He has saved our bacon numerous times this year.

Participant

Free

4 ks out of five. Man ya gotta love this kid.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is not a contest, but in reference to today’s lineup, Munoz now has the same number of triples this season as does Wong – in less than 1/3 the plate appearances.

On the negative side of the kids lineup, neither Knizner nor Bader can get Munoz home from third with no out. Just like the old guys.

P.S. Pinch hitter Jose Martinez walked before Edman extended the at-bat before striking out. Nice work by Reds reliever Lucas Sims.

Participant

Free

Once again, we can’t get a runner home from third. Irritating. The difference is that Wong is tied for third on the team in RBIs while batting mostly eighth.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This series we’ve seen that Votto does not see Miller’s pitches very well. Miller looked vintage today.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another good outing for Andrew Miller. He has really picked up the pace lately.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, Miller’s second inning was not so good as a pinch hit home run by Philip Ervin got the Reds on the board. Gant finished the eighth with no further damage. Which Carlos Martinez will pitch the ninth today?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Munoz’ third hit, a homer to left, gives the Cards their two-run lead back in the ninth.

Participant

Free

Well. IF you can’t score from a leadoff triple, I guess you are forced to hit HR.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years