StL 2019 Game 89 thread: Sun 7/7 at Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 89 thread: Sun 7/7 at Giants

This topic contains 47 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar BrockLou 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This would be huge for our Cards entering the 2nd half of the season if Mr. Flaherty has figured a few things out about this game. DeJong rips a leadoff single in the Redbird 7th. It’s about time that Goldy earned his pay. He did all he could but was robbed by the centerfielder, Pillar, in the deepest crevice of this park. Noe Dexter sends one to that same part of no man’s land and he’ll have nothing to show for his efforts as well…..and that’s just plain awful awful bad luck!!!!!! Munoz now laces a base hit and this inning could have been a monster…..instead, it may very well end up being a Casper the Friendly Ghost kind of inning for the Giants and their fans. Mark Wieters our last hope to put something on the board here in the 7th….Wieters lines out to left and that’s an inning that I’ll have a very difficult time putting behind me.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, you can’t say we aren’t mashing the ball. Give credit to some great defense.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

It came down to a big hit. Now, we could use one.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Couldn’t get the big hit today.

44-44 at the break. 2 games out.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, Flaherty deserved better support than that.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Gotta chance to go to today’s game; never seen a more inept offense, outside of some hard outs in the 8th was just a bunch of nothing.

Team needs to add at least 2 new offensive players w/ some energy and get Ozuna back if they are even trying to win the division if they can’t do that they should just go in total rebuild mode. There is just no way that lineup/offense is going anywhere against good pitching let alone average pitching like today.

I would be encouraged with flaherty’s Start except the Giants didn’t exactly have an all star lineup but it’s the best he has looked in a while for sure.

If you ever get a chance to go to a game in SF you should go, it’s a great park and friendly fans.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

You’ll see the exact same team the rest of the season. The money is spent and some of it were stuck with due to bonehead moves by the VP Ops and our owner allowing it to happen.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

At the halfway mark I commented how we needed to have some guys step up their game (obviously), if they do that and we catch a break here and there we can get a post season berth.

Well this was the kind of game where we caught a break, but the wrong kind. When you have three guys square it up with a runner on and get nothing out of it, that is a tough break.

Okay, Pillar makes the great play. But then to have followed by two more shots that just did not fall in the right place, that is tough to take.

Seems like the club is playing a little better though – there are little things that I notice that indicate an uptick may be on the horizon – better ABs, lots of aggressiveness, enthusiasm, etc. (although last night was a regression).

Some days off are probably just what they need, and hopefully will come out after the break with guns ablazin’. After all, most everyone on the roster will get a nice vacation. A squad full of Garry Templeton’s, they will have the down time and not have to participate in the all-star game. (Technically Garry would have participated had be been voted a starter; the infamous “If I ain’t startin’ I ain’t departin’ quote).

Wooster
    Participant

Free

6 hits 0 run-loss ? Looks like pitchings getting better Hard luck 7th inning and I thought 7 was a lucky number. A really great hitter would put it where they ain’t. Dexter only tonight, where was Wong at? Gotta figure a way to keep Munoz in the lineup. Go Cardinals! We’ll get ’em after the All Star Break!

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Bader needs to sit. He’s hitting what, .205? At this point O’Neill, Fowler, and Martinez with Harry being a late inning replacement.

By the way, do you know what Bader’s butler called him when he was growing up?

r/Esteemed Rat

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

No way Rat or did you miss the CRAP show in the OF last night, NOT one of those OF should EVER and i SAY EVER be in CF, only Bader should play there period!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Onyx, why do you think this offense is good enough to overcome starting a .205 hitter every day?

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Bader is a problem offensively for sure, but this roster is peppered with sub-par offensive players whether he plays or not. Plus, he’s not the guy they were banking on to be a key run producer. The Cards need to be concerned about starting players who can help them win games by producing in multiple facets of the game, and they evidently don’t have the roster to do that. We’ve seen in the last two games they have lost once due to terrible offense (today), and another due to terrible defense (yesterday).

Bader’s WAR is a whopping 0.8. Yes whopping compared to Carp’s 0.4, JMart’s 0.4, Munoz’ 0.0, Molina’s -0.1, O’Neill’s -0.1, and just a shade behind Goldschmidt’s 1.0. It looks like Shildt has the option of having a defensive minded .500 club or a more offensively focused .500 club.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Bader’s problem is he’s not hitting. The bigger Issue is he’s not hitting left handed pitching at all this year. He’d be more playable if he did that.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Well offense sure isn’t good enough to have crap defense from all 3 spots in the OF and it isn’t like O’neil’s OPS is that much better then Bader anyway…

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

What a depressing first half. Now get ready for a repeat as the front office is a trainwreck. The great fans of St.Louis deserve much better.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the topic I mentioned the other day. Should Shildt play the offensive lineup or the defensive lineup. Either way there is danger lurking around the corner. It is quite the dilemma and it is unfortunate we have so many one dimensional players.

On a positive note I really liked how Goldy swung the bat over the weekend. He hit a bomb Friday, another one Saturday, and then scalded the ball in the 8th inning yesterday only to have Pillar pull his Willy Mays act in CF. If Goldy gets it going in the second half and if Carp could get his average up to at least .250 this offense will click. I still say go get a proven starter at the deadline.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Every time I look at this roster I think this bunch of guys SHOULD be an offensive threat. They either have been in the not too distant past or have excellent potential. It’s hard to see why this hasn’t jelled over the first half. We kept saying “it’s early yet, they’ll come around,” but they never did. On the other hand, if we want to go the trade route, who, precisely is out there and available that will really make a difference overall, that is will enable us to win two out of three games for the rest of the year, and if such a player or preferably players, can be found, who is interested in any of our hitless lot. And we don’t have any pitching to spare that I can see to tempt anyone. I really want to be positive and I can always keep hoping Goldy will suddenly explode, Ozuna will return from the DL with increased vigor, Carp will find at least a semblance of his old self, DeJong will shake his current slump, Yadi will continue to be Yadi, only a little more so, and one or several of these youngsters will catch fire. But as we all know, hope can be a dangerous thing.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Should Shildt play the offensive lineup or the defensive lineup.

The lineup yesterday was certainly offensive. I know I was offended.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should Shildt play the offensive lineup or the defensive lineup.

The lineup yesterday was certainly offensive. I know I was offended.

Nice one triple. Tip your wait staff please.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Even when Bader gets a hit, he figures a way to run us out of the inning. That said, if they’re writing off the season, put him out there everyday to learn how to hit and run the bases

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Lou, they say speed doesn’t go into a slump, but perhaps base running does. Bader’s base running measures have gone down this year. Lack of focus, or pressing too much? Trying to makeup for his shortcomings at the plate by doing too much on the bases?

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Another option with Bader is to use him as a late inning defensive replacement. We’re leading late, put him in center, or even if we’re losing

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years