StL 2019 Game 66 thread: Tue 6/11 at Marlins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 66 thread: Tue 6/11 at Marlins

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

Free

Although it is the Marlins, it’s perhaps what we needed to get our offense going. All around good game for our boys: runs, hits, defense, pitching, base running. It’s been awhile since we had all of those clicking in 1 game.

Another solid performance DH. I look forward to years to come with a 1-2 combo of Jack and Dakota.

Both Cubs and Brewers are losing. Milwaukee 10-4, T8 and Chicago 3-1, B5

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

We played good ball early. Bader hit a triple to bring in Wong from first with two out.

Then we scored two runs on a double, infield hit sending Goldschmidt to third, an error on an attempted DP, and three walks to Wong, Fowler, and Bader to bring in two.

Then,we had the double by Molina, infield hit by Wong to get him to third, and Fowler gets a single to score Molina. Wong and Fowler steal a base, and a two-run infield single breaks the game wide open—with only one hit that left the infield.

That’s old-style Cardinal baseball. Somebody advancesthe runner to third, and something gets them in.. About the least glamourous 6–1 lead I remember this year.. No Ks when you move runners up, and you score runs.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Good result! Now let’s hope Shildt doesn’t put a Sunday lineup out there Tomorrow.

David
    Participant

Free

Production from the bottom of the order (6-8)- 5/10, 3 runs. 3 rbi, 5 BB.

David
    Participant

Free

I don’t know what day of the week tonights line up was other than the winning lineup.

GACard
    Participant

Free

They’ve gotta he looking into an ozuna extension at this point. He’s really been the only consistent producer this year. When he isn’t hitting for average he’s offsetting it somewhat with power and run production

David
    Participant

Free

Good point GACard, but I don’t see any extension being offered until the end of the season and even then, it won’t be a long term and if it is long term, a trade clause will be in effect. Pujolos is a prime example.., no matter how great you play for us, we won’t give you what you want because remember this…it is about the birds on the bat, and not the name on back.

David
    Participant

Free

Colorado has Increased their lead. it is now 9-1

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see them rest Carpenter for a few weeks. Munoz is high energy. When Carpenter is at the plate, it reminds me of the time when TLR called out Ron Gant for ‘looking good striking out’.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

< Munoz is high energy.>

Munoz struck out 3 times matching Hudson. But I agree on Carpenter rest period.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<They’ve gotta he looking into an ozuna extension at this point. He’s really been the only consistent producer this year. When he isn’t hitting for average he’s offsetting it somewhat with power and run production>

I have said before that he dropped Boras and got a new agent because he is looking for an extension. I hope he gets one as you are not going to get much better on the free agent market and the QO price is getting to be ridiculous.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would pump the brakes on the Ozuna extension talk. Yes, he is having a very good year but he is going to want something like 5 years $100M. If the Cards tack on $20M for him next year to go along with raises for Carp, Goldy, Mikolas, and Wong that is not going to leave much payroll space left for any other upgrades. I would rather offer Ozuna the QO, take the extra draft pick, and let O’Neill and Thomas get a shot in LF next year with Carlson waiting in the wings at Memphis.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would rather offer Ozuna the QO, take the extra draft pick, and let O’Neill and Thomas get a shot in LF next year with Carlson waiting in the wings at Memphis.

I’m in the same boat. I think O’Neill could provide similar value for much cheaper. While he’d probably be less valuable with the bat, he’d be a better defender. In fact, I might be ok with a Jmart-O’Neill platoon in LF for 2020.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Extend Ozuna. Trade ONeil. I am a believer in why let a known quantity go to free agency when his performance justifies an extension. 5 years/100 mil is your guess and I think it is on the high side for an outfielder. His arm is better and his defense is as good as ONeil’s. One mistake was extending Carpenter who has not lived up to expectations. Leadoff this year seems to have a black cloud over it. Yairo got a hit last night but he also struck out 3 times.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The problem is that we are going to need more than Ozuna to get back to relevance and we won’t have the payroll space to do it if we bring him back. Well, we might have the actual payroll space but this ownership group will not spend close to the luxury tax level, which is what it would take to sign Ozuna and get other reinforcements. O’Neill would be much much cheaper.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

forsch31
    Participant

Free

The problem with offering Ozuna the QO but not wanting to sign him long term is if he accepts the QO. Then you are still paying him around $20 million a year but only get him for 1. That chance is slim but is a possibility. You could structure a contract to get through next year with a smaller salary and make up for it in the next few.

I think if you want to free up some salary space you have to consider trading Wong. If they could trade Fowler for 50 cents on the dollar, that would also help. After next year, Molina, Wong, Miller and Cecil all could come off the books.

If the Cardinals could sign Ozuna to $20 million a year for 5 years, right now I would do it. He is providing production that no one else is producing.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

Those 18 wins from last year are getting more expensive by the day.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say there is a 5% chance Ozuna would accept the QO but even if he did a one year deal isn’t bad, plus you could still trade him. I just think locking him up long term will cause more harm that it will good. We need the payroll space for other aspects of the team since we already have cheaper options for LF. It seems that as soon as the Cardinals give someone a long term deal their career turns to garbage.

Fowler has a career year in 2016. We sign him and it all spirals downhill.
    We give Carp an extension and he is having one of the worst seasons in his life.
    We give Mikolas an extension and he is not close to the pitcher he was last year.
    Goldy is a perennial MVP candidate but we give him an extension and he can’t even put up Luke Voit numbers.
    We give CMart a long term deal and it looks spotty at best.

I am tired of extensions and long term contracts, especially to aging players.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

What other aspects of the team will you spend money on?

Molina – locked in for next year.
    Goldschmidt – locked in for 4 years or more.
    Wong – locked in for next year. Option for 2021.
    DeJong – locked in for several more years.
    Carpenter – locked in for 2 more years.
    Bader – young. Pre-arbitration.
    Fowler – locked in for 2 more years.
    Martinez – locked in for next year.
    Munoz – pre-arbitration.
    Hudson – pre-arbitration.
    Flaherty – pre-arbitration.
    Mikolas – locked in for several years.
    Wacha – free agent.
    Wainwright – free agent.
    Hicks – pre-arbitration.
    CMart – locked in for several years.

Pitching is the only apparent area of NEED. There are several areas we would like to see upgrades. However, we would need to move the person currently there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have repeatedly said that we need to upgrade our rotation. I would rather spend $20M on that instead of Ozuna unless DeWitt is all of a sudden going to say “to heck with the luxury tax” and start spending like the Cubs and Red Sox. I don’t anticipate him doing that.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

It’s possible they could have a 1 year spike in payroll waiting for some of the other salaries to come off the books.

I would rather have Ozuna’s production and work to get the Cecil, Fowler, Wong, Carpenter, Gyorko, Miller, etc., high salaries off the books.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Mr. Dewitt is willing to spike the payroll over $200M then I am with you Forsch. I will take Ozuna, Scherzer, Madbum, and Hand. We can figure out the payroll dilemma later.

History tells us he is probably not going to do that.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.