StL 2019 Game 63 thread: Sat 6/8 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 63 thread: Sat 6/8 at Cubs

This topic contains 70 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 6 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    GACard
    Participant

Free

Living in Chicago, I don’t really want to go to another one this year after taking in the Saturday and Sunday games of the first

Having said that I probably will

GACard
    Participant

Free

I would be all on board to sell but I don’t have any faith in the front office to get anything more than a washing machine

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Have not put the ball out of the infield since the first inning. After the sweep is completed tomorrow night this team will be 5 plus games out. And the front office will do zero. Keep selling out Busch and not a thing will change.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar Stpcard.
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

There’s not a single starter on the team I’d trust in a wild card game.

There’s not a single starter I trust on a Saturday night in June…

We all would like this team to be better than they are, but sad fact is we’re just average, if that.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Signing schildt to an extension was also a laughable move no other good franchise would make

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It’s just a xxxx show all around for the most part. Sorry for the poor vocabulary but it is what it is.

I don’t know what they can do to solve it. The offense has been pedestrian for well over the month. The starters have been up and down and have trouble walking batters. Grab MadBum solves only one problem. How do you get the offense to quit being so streaky?

Profanity removed by moderator.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Not a single ball out of the infield in 8 innings.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a single ball out of the infield in 8 innings.

Wow….that just floors me! And vs our arch rivals on national tv after racing out to a 4-0 1st inning advantage. This is a team that is psychologically broken. The only way to possibly fix it is to jettison Shildt, Maddux & Co. right on out of here. Sounds rash, but if has to be the truth.

mspaid
    Participant

Schildt, Maddux and company are going nowhere. You’ll need to learn to live with it.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I didn’t dislike the Shildt extension last year, but he has a losing record since getting the extension and the team has looked so unprepared since beginning of May. There have been so many questionable player development decisions, roster moves, coaching staff decisions, etc. in the past 3-4 years that I’m not sure there is a simple fix to the team. The team is old and mediocre.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Because of the seven-hour time difference I don’t get to watch these games live (unless it’s a day game which would start about 8 p.m. here), so my routine is to rise in the morning, fire up the ol’ Dell and click on the Cardinals website, hoping against hope that the birds have turned the corner. This Sunday morning was another disappointment, sending me to my coffee and croissants with a scowl on my face and a grumpy bonjour to my spouse. If it’s a win, I catch up on MLB TV. If it’s a loss, I don’t usually bother. It’s starting to rain now, which completes my mood of despair and ends any thought of getting some yard work done. I guess I’ll have to settle for an afternoon in my fauteuil watching the French open tennis final.
    Oh well, it’s early June, I tell myself. Anything is possible. I’ll keep with it even if we fall to the cellar. Which certainly is not impossible.
    I hate to join the “sack the manager” club, but I’m beginning to wonder what else we can do. After all, as I said earlier, this appears to be a leadership problem.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

This is a team that is psychologically broken.

I agree with this. There’s too much talent to play this poorly for this long. I get the sense that they’re like a golfer with the yips who starts pressing, which only makes things worse. I’m not in the “fire Shildt” camp at this time as I think there’s time to get moving in a more positive direction. Yet I’m not certain that they actually will, and suspect we might see some moves around the deadline to move on from some guys in the coaching staff and on the team.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bonjour Senor Cardinale dans La France! Keep that chin up and wipe away that scowl as one of these games soon your boys are going to actually look like real ML hitters and put a royal beating on an opposing pitcher. Here’s an interesting matchup: Our 2019 Cardinal offense vs our 2019 starting pitchers. Who gets the better of who???

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well that wayward bat truck did arrive at Wrigley. Unfortunately the driver had to tell the boys it was only there for a one inning rental then the Cubbies had it rented for the rest of the game with an option for Sunday.

But seriously, this was really a frustrating game to watch because while the first inning was great viewing the bottom half of that inning gave the viewer a good look at what was about to happen. Jacko just was not himself yesterday but a lot of the other Cards were and that was not good.

I haven’t read any of the other posts but I lay no blame on Ozuna for trying to make a catch that would have saved a lot of runs but was a risk to allow a lot too. Then there was the stupid ball that hit on the corner of the bricks next to an outfield door. Who coulda predicted that. That whole place is jinxed. They spend millions yet can’t put lights in the outfield and can’t get rid of that stupid ivy and pad the wall.

Only the dedicated will be watching the game tonight instead of the Blues/Bruins going at it. I have preached here about being a fan so my bed is made and I will be watching the Cards for some signs of life.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

< After all, as I said earlier, this appears to be a leadership problem.>

Really can’t agree with that. How did they make such a run last season and then start off this season with a lot of wins. Can leadership be that up and down? All players have their ups and downs but when that affects too many at one time it becomes what we are seeing. They will come around. It is the ‘when’ that is in question. But I am thinking that perhaps a major veteran at the trade deadline would help the pitching. I used to frown on going for Madbum. Not so much anymore.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

< The only way to possibly fix it is to jettison Shildt, Maddux & Co. right on out of here. Sounds rash, but if has to be the truth. >

I have a fine T-Ball team in the neighborhood that has a van and can travel. I happen to blame proven major league players when things like this happen. But it isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last and we have a lot of company this season in looking like wupped pups. I read the Springfield scores every day just to see how badly they lost. Things in the pitching arena are not good down on the farm either.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those personally offended by Shildt’s ongoing comments seemingly lacking urgency or candidness or whatever is that is bothering them…

Will it make the pitchers pitch better and the hitters hit better? IMO, these kinds of comments are primarily for the fans, not those who can actually do anything about it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Don’t see a game 64 thread so will post here.

Wieters is really struggling with the right handed hitting. Would he be better to just stay with the left side even against lefties. Surely some stat guru can give me some figures.

When JMart looks slow at the plate one would know something is wrong with this team. But that wind did rob him of a home run early on. Last night the team just looked like they knew what was going to happen when Flaherty started falling on his sword in inning #1.

Would today be a good time to start Knizer (sp?)? Wieters is beginning to look bushed but maybe they are saving the backup for a couple of Marlins starts.

MCarp looked like he was totally out of it last night. His throws were even more loopy than normal and he was strictly guessing at the plate. Still, I don’t disagree with his attempting that bunt with two strikes. Might have started something and the left side was wide open.

Scheduling is weird this season. Now we play the Marlins 7 times in 11 days. If there was ever a time to ‘get well’ that may be it and the Mets are sandwiched in between to offer more chances to turn it around.

Okay Cards, we still stand behind you so give it your best today. GO CARDS.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Merci for the encouragement Monsieur Pugsley. I’ve been hanging in there through thick and thin with these guys since the days when St. Louis was the “southern team” and Texas boys had no one else to cheer for. And believe me that included more than a few not-so-hot years. I still say on the face of it this roster has what it takes, it just isn’t taking. Somebody needs to step up and show some leadership. I was hoping that might be Goldschmidt, but so far he has not proved to be the Goldschmidt we traded for.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All that love that was given to Shildt when he replaced Matheny has quickly evaporated. He may be a nice person but seemingly the players and the FO walk all over him. His incapability has been exposed.

Its very evident and been picked up by the sharp folks here. Another FO blunder.

I have to go back to the time of Matheny’s firing and count all those who were elated that we had a new manager. And there was the extension, and some partisans were thrilled to the max. Happy now?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not on the “fire Shildt” bandwagon yet. I haven’t seen enough evidence that this mediocre baseball is all his fault. I think a lot of it is roster construction and underperforming veterans.

We have $78M this year (almost half of our payroll) invested in Molina, Goldy, Carp, Miller, and Fowler and not much production to show for it. And they are all over 30. Not to mention the dead money spent on Cecil, Gregerson, and Leake. We can’t win with that much underperforming salary because we are not going to overspend like the Cubs and Red Sox to compensate for prior mistakes.

The only things about Shildt I don’t like is he tends to be resistant to change and he tends to have too much of a sunny disposition after losses. That is one thing you would never see under LaRussa. Reporters were afraid to ask him questions after a loss.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 23 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 23 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years