StL 2019 Game 63 thread: Sat 6/8 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 63 thread: Sat 6/8 at Cubs

This topic contains 70 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 6 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nope, but that’s 58 heaves for Lester thru 2. Bring on that cubbies relief corps.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone remember Ted Abernathy?

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Flaherty is bad tonight. Wasting a great opportunity, although he just wiggled out of further damage in the 3rd to keep a 1-run lead.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Welcome, Euro!! Dave is being unusually quiet tonight. Maybe he has company over?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Every time I look up the cubs are batting. Other than that top of the 1st, it seems as if the cubs are hogging every inning’s at bats.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Flaherty outing reminiscent of the Wacha meltdown in Wrigley.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schwarber ties it with a solo blow to right. And that will.put an abrupt end to Flaherty’s night. Well, the kid got staked to an early 4 run lead and he couldn’t run to victory with it. 96 pitches thru 3 2/3’s will NEVER cut the mustard.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brebbia restores order as he and Gant have done all season long.

GACard
    Participant

Free

This is a tie game that feels like it’s over. I wasn’t expecting a ton up 4-0 to be honest

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

I’m sure none of us are surprised to see this club get 4 hits in the first inning and since then they get one infield hit. Meanwhile the cubs have scored in 3 of four innings. Redbirds won’t score a run the rest of the game. This team is beyond miserable to watch.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And the Redbird offense once again goes into an early hibernation…..maybe we should be called the cubs and Chicago the high flying Cardinals. There used to be a pro team named the Chicago Cardinals….yep, it’s only fitting that we switch names. The St. Louis Cubs…..does kind of have a ring to it…..yep, I hate to say it, but I am a fan of the St. Louis Cubs.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cannot argue with either GACard or Stpcard……I wish I could, but unfortunately I think they are both spot on correct.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder how our uni will look having these little blue cubbie bears straddling a bat instead of redbirds????

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Nice to see Jack Flaherty come in completely unprepared tonight. 96 pitches and not a single strikeout. The previous excuse was Genesis was tipping his pitches. What’s going to be the excuse tonight? Speaking of pitching, what is Mike Maddox’s job anyway? The entire rotation has gotten worse this year and its a team currently of 3-4 place starters. There’s not a single starter on the team I’d trust in a wild card game.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geesh that’s like six 450 foot cubbie long ones that veered just outside the foul poles in this game. We’re darn lucky not to be looking up at a 10-4 cubbies lead on the scoreboard.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, BlackHills, we won’t be seeing any October ball with a fistfull of #4 starters and hitters who can’t hit. But, at the end of the day we still love this team regardless. They literally could go 0-162 and I’d still love them…..now that may be the true meaning of “tough love”.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Pugs, you’re a better man than I. I think I’d run out of love around 0-75.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Two weak ground ball outs and a 7 year old groundout ball. We just don’t have men that swing and make contact and the Cubs do. They attack the ball.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Nice to see Jack Flaherty come in completely unprepared tonight.

I haven’t been able to watch tonight so I guess I’ll ask…what made him seem unprepared? Is it just the lack of Ks?

Personally, I’ve been of the opinion that Flaherty is more #3 starter than future ace like some believed after last year. He doesn’t have elite velocity or command, and his one great pitch is the one pitch that gets hammered when you miss your spots more than any other. While I’d say he’s been a bit worse than I would expect going forward, his profile is exactly the type you’d think would suffer most from a juiced baseball. Coincidentally, the Cards have several of those types on staff right now (Mikolas, Wacha, Waino now).

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I haven’t been able to watch tonight so I guess I’ll ask…what made him seem unprepared? Is it just the lack of Ks?

He missed his spots all game long, sometimes by several feet. 0 Ks, 3 BBs, 5 Hits. Cubs seemingly knew what was coming.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Thanks, BHC. Sad that the staff couldn’t hold up their end of the bargain after being staked to about as big a lead as they’ve had in some time. Again, I haven’t been watching but it sounds like this would be a very demoralizing loss if the now 7-4 Cubs lead holds up.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Lester gave up 4 runs after having faced the first 6 batters of the game. Now he looks to be comfortably in line for the W. cubs kicking the Cards all over the field.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ha ha!!! I have never met anyone who is as clever as Euro!

Ok….time to belt these guys!

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

It’s amazing how pathetic they make the cardinals look in Wrigley. Just so soft.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar Stpcard.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Lester was at 36 pitches after the 1st innings. He finished the game with 6 innings at 100 pitches.

Anyone remember when Mike Shildt claimed the Cardinals had a pitching staff full of #1 starters?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/why-cards-aren-t-shopping-for-pitching-they-have-at/article_4ed71640-606e-5344-8661-e6fd33dfd98d.html

The sad thing is people said the pitching was iffy and they were quickly criticized for stating what is now a fact.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years