StL 2019 Game 50 thread: Fri 5/24 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 50 thread: Fri 5/24 vs. Braves

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Got something going. 1 and 3 with 1 out. Really nice play by McCann to keep the bunt from getting Yadi to 2nd.

GACard
    Participant

Free

I was really excited to sit down and watch a game for the first time in several weeks. Just more of what I’ve been missing so far

GACard
    Participant

Free

And Jager I agree

Especially doesn’t help when your front office can’t identify talent

Read something on VEB detailing who we’ve traded and what we’ve gotten since 2015 and it’s pathetic

Couple that with the free agent deals and it’s a mess

And dansby says it’s bedtime

Living most of my youth in Atlanta I was a cards fan by birth. Tough to see the braves this good

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Cards having another rough one. Trying to make some tweaks is the right thing (batting order and Wacha being the most recent ones). That sometimes can get the emotional juices triggered, However, it doesn’t seem like there are any switches Shildt can flip that are wired with any electrical juice behind them to turn the team on.

I feel like the only thing that will save this season is if Goldschmidt catches fire at a near-MVP level and really energizes this offense. Also, get him the heck out of the 2 spot.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Yes get your $130 million dollar slugger out of the 2 hole for crying out loud but there’s so much more wrong with the team. It needs an injection of something that I don’t think the brass will give it.

NJ315
    Participant

5-2 Braves win.

GACard
    Participant

Free

This team looks hopeless. I hope in two months I’m completely wrong

GACard
    Participant

Free

Dallas Keuchel. It either helps save this or makes us know we need a rebuild. I was against it until now but at least make the move and prove to yourselves that there is a structural problem. If you’re gonna go for it you make that move after the draft of the price is right

P.S. I might be losing my mind in this downward spiral

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like everyone on the planet has been begging Shildt to move Goldy out of the 2 hole and he just won’t do it. I will never understand why he thought that was a good idea.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Our team just made Foltynewicz look like Sandy freaking Koufax. I’ll never blame our pitchers if we don’t score at least three runs, so batter up, offense, and start scoring. That said, if we’re going to wait for Goldy or Carp to wake up, we’ll be waiting a long time. I too, was hopeful they would snap out of their slumps, but it’s looking not likely anymore. They appear to be in career slumps from which they will likely never recover — think Troy Tulowitzki, Mark Tiexera, Chris Davis. If the FO doesn’t smarten up, we’re looking at many (more) years of mediocre performance.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

At some point you are who you are. We all hope and wait for Carp to actually be good or Goldy to be what we were told he would be. It’s Memorial Day, the season started in late March and this is who they are. It isn’t just going to magically change and the three teams ahead of us they have better rosters top to bottom. They have men who hit the ball and we don’t. I truly believe it is a culture problem that pulls good players down- see Goldy. The culture of this team is soft and has been for years.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The culture of an organization comes from the top. I have been pointing at the FO for what has happened to this team for the last four seasons. Girsch and Mozeliak have brought in the wrong players that have failed and failed again (you know the suspects). Overly optimistic promises have not materialized.

The owner hasn’t been heard from recently and the results we are seeing on the field probably has him nestled away somewhere with his hands over his eyes. Fans are just beginning to lose faith with the guys in the top offices.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Opinions like this are becoming more common.

VEB DAILY
    The Cardinals aren’t Properly Valuing Talent

There’s a breakdown in the type of talent the team is trading away and acquiring.

By John LaRue@tdylf May 24, 2019, 9:00am EDT There’s been a trend emerging in St. Louis for a few years now. It started mildly enough, enough so that a reasonable observer might consider the faint drumbeat to be nothing more than random noise. It has only increased since then, and now that drumbeat is deafening. Something is amiss in the Cardinals’ ability to properly value talent on the trade market and, to a lesser degree, the free agent market.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

“Hatred [in this case discontent] corrodes the container in which it is carried.” It seems as though The Cardinal Nation is developing some corrosion leaks. SAD to see. Funny how everything was shipshape at the beginning of the season. The acquisition of Goldy and Miller were well acclaimed by the masses but at the first sign of being human it becomes the problem of the front office. In my very narrow view what I see is a very spoiled fan base not accustomed to the vagaries of the game. Imagine how the Marlins, Royals and Orioles fans are feeling and how the Cubs fans felt for 108 years. Look at those 11 flags and be proud. After every loss the sun rises…….oh well, you know the rest of my rant………lol

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The key moment last night was the Bader strikeout with first and third. That was such a poor AB, as he swung at a pitch out of the zone, and took two fairly good pitches, especially strike three.

I was hoping at some point in that AB Shildt would go with the squeeze play. When your offense is inconsistent, and in a game like that where you are waiting for something to happen it might have been just the thing to spark the club. It may not have worked, but still even trying it would say “we’re going to shoot the works and be aggressive, regardless of how this thing turns out”.

Still a lot of time in the season, but the Memorial Day weekend is traditionally your first bench mark, and our club has the look of a .500 team. I wonder if Shildt is a little too timid to manage a big league ball club. Again, too early to know, and he is making some moves so that may not be an issue. Just something on my mind and want to see how it goes here through mid-season.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Such hated filled people who voice/write an opinion that they are displeased with this several-year regression. Shame on them!! LOL.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Imagine how the Marlins, Royals and Orioles fans are feeling and how the Cubs fans felt for 108 years. Look at those 11 flags and be proud. 

Those fanbases have settled for mediocrity and didn’t care for the most part. I guess you can say the Cubs fans cared about showing up, getting drunk, and slobbering “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” with Harry Carey. This fanbase of the Cardinals is too proud to let this thing slip to mediocrity and that isn’t being spoiled. Eleven World Series Championships is second all time to only the Yankees. This fanbase knows damn well they aren’t watching good baseball. They’ve seen the best and know what it takes and this ain’t it. So no I don’t ever want to imagine being a fan of a team like the Orioles, Royals, or Cubs. That’s accepting a losers mentality.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

“This fanbase of the Cardinals is too proud to let this thing slip to mediocrity and that isn’t being spoiled.”
    Of course it is. If this was not a consistently winning team the ‘best fans in baseball’ would not be spoiled.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The “spoiled fan base” card has been used a lot the last 4 to 5 years. Exactly at what point is it going to be ok for Cardinal fans to rightfully vent their frustration at the front office and/or players? Are we under a 10 year moratorium? 20 years? How long does the 2011 and 2013 good will last?

We are now headed towards our 4th consecutive year of no playoffs and 5th consecutive year of not advancing further than the Cubs. This organization has too many resources to be compared to the Marlins, Royals, and Orioles. That is a joke. I live in SEC country. Go tell an Alabama football fan that he is spoiled or a Kentucky basketball fan. They would look at you like you are crazy.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

T-Card and Gscottar, your points are on target. It’s not about being “spoiled” (as a former Red Sox fan growing up decades ago who could only hope about being “spoiled!). It’s about the pursuit of excellence which we’ve come to expect and enjoy in STL. Our fan base is more savvy and knowledgeable than any in baseball, and knows exactly what we’re seeing on the field. We should continue to expect pennant contenders from Cards’ ownership and call them out when they fall short – same with players who don’t execute like they should.

We don’t want just an enjoyable day at the ball park; we want, and should demand that ownership, management and players meet our high expectations. It’s America, it’s competition, it’s sport…start winning or we’ll find someone who can!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

“2 dead, 10 injured in 8 separate shootings across St. Louis”

I was born and raised in New Orleans. There is a reason I no longer go there. Same for St Louis. This headline has more effect on attendance than a team not going to the playoffs.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

MM3, with all due respect (seriously, not sarcastically), I do live here, and no it doesn’t. On average, Cards games have 95%+ attendance, and they trailed only the Dodgers and Yankees in total attendance for 2018 with 3.4M. Cubs follow as #4.

FWIW, Cubs rank #4 in attendance despite Chicago’s horrific demographics on shootings. Just sayin.’

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Sounds like we’re at the point of no return for some of you.

My expectations are WC-playoffs every season even if I assume there’s a low chance of making it. That is the standard Mr. Dewitt set forth when he purchased this cash cow and then hired one of the best managers off alltime to direct this franchise. The ownership will point out they’ve if this continues to go south that they were in it until the very last day or two 2 of the last 3 seasons. However if feel the ownership just decided to roll the dice rather than hedging some bets and making sure the team and the manager has enough to achieve those goals then things may have been different in 1 or 2 if thise season. They’ll point out they’ve traded for players. True! We gotten mixed returns on some of those return. They’ll point out they’ve spent money to upgrade the lineup. Again mixed reviews and one could say the investments they’ve decided to make were foolish ones for the most part.

At this point were closer to last then first. I feel 2 teams ahead of us have more talent that’s more consistent up and down the roster than we do. The other is the byproduct of it’s blue collar manager. The Reds are no longer a walk over.

My stance hasn’t changed in regards to this season. Wild Card at least or heads should role. Mo and his hand picked GM should be fired and Shildt should get the ax. Then we begin the slow roster destruction and restructure. Might have to eat a fat portion of a couple contracts and trade dead weight but I feel this is likely needed unless this team as currently constructed just figures it out. Recent History will tell they may figure it out for a bit but fall short. Now if they do stay in it. What is our VP Ops going to do to make things better? Do you trust him, his underling and our owner to get us what we need? That is the ultimate roll of the dice right there.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

I am frustrated beyond words like many of you guys and for good reason..500 baseball is laughable and what I see with this bunch is not an uptick in play but the rest of the year around .500. This continues and I can see 30-35 thousand a game by all star break when we will be out of the race for the year. IF this pans out and I pray I am wrong then clean house and not just in the front office. They better find a GM that knows how to rebuild and not do an Astros tank. That will never fly in St.Louis with the best fans in baseball.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

So I am seeing a lot of you are upset with the Cardinals not being like other teams and making the right moves. Who do you want them to be like? Someone name me the team or teams that are doing a better job putting their team together.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.