StL 2019 Game 50 thread: Fri 5/24 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 50 thread: Fri 5/24 vs. Braves

This topic contains 69 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (4-4, 4.88) vs. RHP Mike Foltynewicz (0-3, 6.91) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

May 23th 2018 Carpenter was batting .199. By June 29th he was at .261. He’ll need to do something like that this season or else if the Cards continue on to a four straight years of no playoffs, he’ll be pointed at as being a major factor.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Counting on Carp to reprise his MVP surge like last year seems very optimistic. I have been one of those folks that have been adamant over they years that he should only bat leadoff but I now admit that was wrong. He should be moved down lower in the lineup. For the time being I would give Fowler the leadoff spot against righties and maybe Bader a shot against LH’s. They couldn’t be any worse.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I had speculated last week might happen, the next OF spot that opened up went to the more consistent player in Thomas over O’Neill. A side benefit is that O’Neill can keep getting five plate appearances each day.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We get a break as the Phillies down the Cubs 9-7 today (Thursday) at Wrigley. But the Cubs now host the Reds for a three game set and chances are they will win all three.

We need to take two of three against Atlanta. Who do we have next week?

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~~who went to Evansville today to further check into a 5-Series BMW purchase

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

7 man pen: Starting June 4, the Cards will have 20 games without a break followed by three days off in the next 8. May need another pen arm by then.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like the Thomas kid, and I also like seeing O’Neill stay at Memphis and get the reps he needs.

My personal name for Thomas is “Tommy Lane”. That just sounds like a baseball player. “Lane Thomas” sounds like a consulting firm – like “We really needed help with our corporate re-structure, and called Lane Thomas in and they did a fabulous job in setting up our compensation structure and risk management”. :-).

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno. That would be really confusing since one of his Memphis teammates has been reliever Tommy Layne. Perhaps you should stay in your own “Lane”… 😉

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We need to take two of three against Atlanta. Who do we have next week?

I checked. We go to Philadelphia for three games next week. The Cubs go to Houston. Then the Cubs come to Busch for their first trip of the year into St. Louis.

Next week could be an interesting week. A 3-3 record might be good.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Nice one Brian. There is a guy at Memphis named Tommy Layne as well? That would be confusing to call Mr. Thomas “Tommy Lane”, even through it has a better ring to it and sounds more “athletic” than Lane Thomas.

My calling him “Tommy Lane” would be similar to the late ‘50s – early ‘60s when there were two Hal Smith’s in the big leagues, and as fate would have it, both were catchers (one with the Cardinals). There is even a baseball card “Two Hal Smith’s”, that feature both players. The Cardinal Hal Smith worked with the club’s minor league players for a number of years I believe. I remember Tim McCarver on a broadcast commenting how Smith had taught him some things when he was starting out.

And there was a third Hal Smith at that time – the actor most noted for playing Mayberry’s town drunk, Otis Campbell on the Andy Griffith Show.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know Shildt won’t do it but this is the lineup I would like to see tonight:

RF Fowler
    SS DeJong
    1B Goldy
    3B Carpenter
    LF Ozuna
    C Molina
    2B Wong
    CF Bader
    P

If Carp wants to focus on launch angle let him hit fourth. Fowler’s OBP has earned him the right to try leadoff. I also think Bader’s defense needs to be on the field everyday. JMart can share time in RF with Fowler and be a great bat off of the bench.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i like that lineup…i agree it won’t happen though

I think I would like to see Thomas get a start before he goes back down for a RP arm

At some point Ozuna is going to get a day off too…i feel like he has been in there almost every game

I am not sure we want to move them or can move them…but if Fowler, Ozuna, JMart all left…and we had to go with

Thomas, Bader, Oneill…how bad would it really be? I am not advocating doing it, but i do wonder sometimes

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

but if Fowler, Ozuna, JMart all left…and we had to go with

Thomas, Bader, Oneill…how bad would it really be?

I don’t think it would be bad at all. I would love to see it happen.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter dropped to fifth with Fowler leading off.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Gscottar almost nailed it!! Call him Shildt Jr.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ha Ha!

Flip DeJong and Goldy then flip Carp and Ozuna and I would have had it.

Oh well at least he is trying something even if it is baby steps. Better than nothing.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i am very surprised he is changing this…he has been so stubborn…i think the media and fans got to MOz and the FO…and they told him to do something…i doubt Shildt did this on his own….

i like Shildt for a lot of reasons, but with the recent talk about not overreacting or underreacting…combined with the…something has to change t stuff…and yet nothign actually changed on the field…i am starting to wonder if he is just all talk, and by that i mean…he knows what to say at those pressers but that doesnt translate to evidence of real change….

MAtheny was boring at times but at least mixed and matched to try to find the right solution when things went bad…perhaps he was TOO much in the other direction so expecting the new person to be different is valid…but we swung the pendulum pretty far with how Shildt has dealt with problematic production

MAtheny whether you liked him or not, FOUND A WAY to get his guys to figure it out and keep the team in the playoff hunt with whatever players he had available

I want to see Shildt find a way…i havent seen it yet…he faded late when the games were big last year ….if we fired Matheny for not getting the big wins and making changes that brought wins….then Shildt needs to show it….i am not convinced yet

The only thing i am convinced about is that his style seems to have helped Fowler find his way, and Ozuna to get out of his ST poor hitting…if shildt was hired to make expensive players play better so as not to waste their salaries…he is doing fine helping make the FO look better in that regard…. but the test will be if he can straighten out Carp…and Goldy…. Matheny got Carp going…multiple years in a row….Goldy had someone else getting him going…… Shildt needs to get them going…otherwise all he seems like to me is a guy that the FO is enamored with because of his ability to make tHEIR decisions look less bad

I am obviously just talking off the top of my head….ill probably disagree with all of this tomorrow.

I do like Shildt..i didnt agree with his early extension, and i didnt agree with MAtheny being fired like he was…but i like that Shildt comes from within…i like his positive vibes…i just dont like positive vibes if it is used as a smokescreen from the truth and thus is just BS…. if you arent going to make changes…dont, but dont then say things gotta change…

anyways…

im looking forward to the game tonight

GO Cards!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards get a break today as the Reds come from behind to beat the Cubs 6-5. Reds trailed 4-0 early and got it back to 4-4. Cubs took a 5-4 lead in the last of the 8th and then Eugene hits a two run homer in the top of the 9th to give the Reds a 6-5 lead. Julio Iglesias got the Cubs 1-2-3 in the last of the 9th.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~~who watched the Reds/Cubs game today with Whitey Herdog

GACard
    Participant

Free

They’re trying to give us one but we’ll do everything we can do give it back

That can’t happen with no outs

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar GACard.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar GACard.
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Man. Mikolas was coasting. Back to backers and we are looking at 9 outs to get at least 2 runs

GACard
    Participant

Free

Another thing that has become so concerning is lack of top 100 prospects. It might be time to rebuild or at least sell to reload. Just don’t know if we have anything that could fetch that type of prospect

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think we really need too 100 guys. And we do have young talent.

Carlson is close and looks to be good
    Gorman is getting close.
    Knizner Oneill look like impact guys too even if not top 100
    Reyes is still coming
    Woodford Griffin Helsley Genesis all look good

Lots of potential guys I n the A and AA in my opinion. A few of them should work out.

I’d love to have top prospects but when you keep winning games you get less access to them.

Having said that. I do think Ozuna and Jmart might fetch good prospects as hitters are needed.

CMart still fetches good value if we want to use it.

I don’t think the FO will give up at all as long as we are somewhat close. If Oneill is still mashing and Lane seems ready. Maybe you can move Ozuna Jmart. CMart seems a stretch unless we are overwhelmed as I can’t see us selling low on him at all

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years