StL 2019 Game 48 thread: Tue 5/21 vs. Royals (moved to 5/22 evening)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 48 thread: Tue 5/21 vs. Royals (moved to 5/22 evening)

This topic contains 41 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 3 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right on gentlemen! You know who really had disappointed me…….Goldy. He hasn’t been a train wreck, but he certainly has not been a one man wrecking crew either. Maybe it’s just me, but I expected more generated excitement out of him. Nice to see Mr. Thomas up here in the fast lane. And to The Esteemed Rat…..blackberry cobbler, chocolate cream pie and soft serve ice cream all in the same sitting? I like your style, Esteemed Rat……I like your style.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Yeah Pugs, I figure after every plate full of food I need to have dessert. No sense in waiting to the very end when the tummy is full.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~~who is about to light up a Palma Real Presidente for the KC/STL game tonight

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

The lineup works tonight! Carp and Goldy set the table for Ozuna. Cards up 3-0.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

5-2 through three. But Wainwright is in trouble again in the fourth.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

In 4 innings, Wainwright has has given up 5 hits, 4 walks, 1 HBP and has thrown 86 pitches — and they don’t pinch hit for him leading off the bottom of the 4th. Hmmmm.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We need to find two or three starters that are cut from the “Jeff Suppan” mold.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Avatar 1964cards.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fowler’s solo home run extends the lead to 6-3 after six.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bats have come to life!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The game ends with a 10-3 win for the Cards and a split on Wednesday.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Our bi-polar 2019 Cardinals in full display yesterday: an 8-2 loss and a 10-3 win.

It’s a funny season so far, as both the Cardinals and Reds have a better RS/RA differential than Milwaukee. The Reds are actually 3 runs better than St. Louis. If that continues, you would expect the standings to change with the Cards and Reds eventually challenging for second place. The Cubs are far and away the best team in the Central to date.

Obviously the Cards need to get more consistent starting pitching. The offense is producing about 5 runs per game, which should be sufficient. The problem is they tend to bunch the runs into a few games, and go two or three without doing much. You would think that will even out some.

But then this is baseball – you just never know. Take a look at the 1984 Mets sometime, and you wonder how they could have won 90 games.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The starting pitching is clearly our biggest weakness. It was even weak during our big April because the offense was able to compensate. Now that the offense has soured the starting pitching is very much being exposed for the fraud that it is. (Remember Shildt’s comment in spring training about having five number 1’s?) If the front office and manager don’t have the intestinal fortitude to make the tough decisions then our season is pretty much lost.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Pretty tough comments there gscottar. Fraud?…really? Intestinal fortitude?..the couch coaches have very little clue what goes on in that clubhouse or front office. Cheap shots are easy but man, it is only a game so why be so hateful. Oh well we obviously view the sport in a different light.

Shildt did say yesterday between games that something has to be done with the rotation and to expect changes. I was hoping he would also try some experimenting with the lineup but, so far, it seems to be frozen in time. Goldy is my favorite but Goldy is having his down time after the initial weeks of the season but he is a very nice addition at 1B defensively and I feel that he will come around offensively. It is the strikeouts that make me cringe the most.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have seen rumors about Mad Bum coming here, although he has not been the vintage Mad Bum in recent years. I think both Flaherty and Hudson will be real good, but it is going to take some experience. As an organization you just have to decide whether or not you can live with running them out there for 40% of your games, knowing it might result in a few less wins now but pay big dividends later.

I would keep them in the rotation and get them the reps they need to take the next step. If Wacha does not step it up, we made need to plug Helsley in and see if he can be better. But then you run the risk of going with a young guy who may need some time to develop into a consistent starter. Tough to say as now and then you see a young pitcher step in and pitch great right from the start (so to speak).

Can Carlos Martinez return to the rotation in 2019? That is another option, if his arm is healthy enough to withstand the rigors of starting again.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Boy if your CMartinez option becomes reality that would be huge for the team. If not there may be a semi-veteran brought in and one of the starters replaced…. big decision. I get nervous when the 40-man roster has an opening.

(Remember Shildt’s comment in spring training about having five number 1’s?) If the front office and manager don’t have the intestinal fortitude to make the tough decisions then our season is pretty much lost.

One gets a sense that the FO and Shildt border on being delusional.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty tough comments there gscottar. Fraud?…really? Intestinal fortitude?..the couch coaches have very little clue what goes on in that clubhouse or front office. Cheap shots are easy but man, it is only a game so why be so hateful. Oh well we obviously view the sport in a different light.

Well this couch coach knows that we are 6-14 during the month of May and we are now closer to last place than first place in the NLC. Continuing to run out the exact same lineup and rotation without any changes and expecting a different result seems foolish to put it mildly. Some of us take winning seriously. And my comments would seem generous if we were in New York, Boston, or Philly. The Cardinals are fortunate to be surrounded by a fawning media and a certain segment of the fan base distracted by Blues mania.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is by definition unfair to claim the only fans who “take winning seriously” are those who think they can run the team better than the folks who actually do. But I get that people want to vent, so a lot of interesting stuff gets said.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes I was venting and I shouldn’t have implied that I care about winning more than other posters. We all have different ways of expressing our frustration.

My real frustration is with the front office and manager. Sometimes I wonder what their priorities are.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years