StL 2019 Game 42 thread: Tue 5/14 at Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 42 thread: Tue 5/14 at Braves

This topic contains 37 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

well they are firing on all cylinders tonight. things are getting iffy for Flaherty now. ill give carp a pass on that but could have been caught. but can we keep this offense going more than one game, that’s the question. tonight is nice but it could just be a bad start by their pitcher not anything we have done. we will know more after the next couple of games assuming we hold on here.

The ball flies all over the place in Sun Trust. If we don’t at least score 10 runs the next 2 games I’d say we’ve got some problems.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Chris Sale is mowing down the Rockies tonight. Unfortanetly I cannot watch due to the blackout rules.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty does manage to make it through 6. 11-3 Cards.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Glad Schildt left Flaherty in. 109 pitches to get through 6 innings.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great question, Euro! In order for a game to be “dog calloffable”, your team must be leading by 8+ runs entering the 8th or (and this rarely occurs) by 13+ runs anytime after 4 innings of play. However, there is one exception. Calling off the dogs vs the Chicago cubs is strictly prohibited! Even if your team is belting the cubs by a ridiculous margin at Wrigley….say 18-1 entering the 9th. You still keep hammering away at them.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Hard to figure our guys out. Dominating performance tonight, even Leone looked like Mariano Rivera out there. I hope this doesn’t mean we can expect only two runs total over the next two games…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We’ve seen this act before; Our Cards drill their opponent in Game 1 of the series and then lay an egg for the remainder of the series. Let’s hope this series will be different.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, this was a much needed win. Flaherty gave them six good innings and the offense was clicking on all cylinders. Hoping the team can keep it going!

On another positive note – my son went to the Peoria Chiefs game tonight and got his picture taken with “Mo”!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Well, this was a much needed win. Flaherty gave them six good innings and the offense was clicking on all cylinders. Hoping the team can keep it going!

I don’t know about 6 good innings. I’m glad Schildt threw him out there in the 6th. Time to take the kid gloves off.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Nothing new to complain about that game but I do have one major whine for Fox Sports Midwest. How in the heck do you get such lousy sound such as the background crowd noise. I remember it being that way in Atlanta last season too. Finally had to mute the thing to preserve sanity but unmuted several times only to hear that sound of a motorboat going over me when I am underwater. My son is a sound engineer and he says a third grader must have designed their system.

Speaking of FSMW it looks like we are stuck with Chatty Thompson for this road trip. Maybe muting it isn’t all that bad. He and Horton are having a race to see who has the least dead air time. I like a one man booth – they are easier on the old and crotchety folks of which I am one.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agree on leaving Flaherty out there for the sixth. It is odd in a way how the game has evolved, to where we are happy with a pitcher going 6 innings. I recall the locker room interview with Bob Gibson after the Cardinals clinched the 1967 pennant, and Gibby said “I really wanted to go 9 innings”, which he did. He had come of that broken ankle in July and was working his way back to full strength.

Now it’s “I really wanted to go 6 innings”. But that is the way it works these days. Pitchers are expected to keep the ball in mid-90s for around 100 pitches. That is about all the body can do and stay reasonably healthy. No pacing yourself to get through the game.

And as you guys have pointed out, it will be interesting to see if the ball club can take this series, and reverse the trend of terrific series openers, and silent bats or poor pitching after that.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Was Flaherty experimenting with some new pitch after getting that big lead? Some of those pitches had Yadi not been behind the plate would have been wild pitches.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey Bike… that ’67 season season was magical for Gibson. I was at the old Busch for Gibby’s last start of the regular season and he broke the ERA record. Unfortunately for me I was outside the Stadium on a huge line of crazed fans waiting to buy WS tickets in the morning.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years