StL 2019 Game 39 thread: Fri 5/10 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 39 thread: Fri 5/10 vs. Bucs

This topic contains 48 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar CariocaCardinal 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great info, Brian! However your last sentence of that post mystifies me? If you are insinuating that Sutcliffe’s tremendous effort resulted in no benefit to the cubbies playoff hopes and aspirations, then I might have a bone to pick…..oh geesh this can’t be….what’s this world coming to if I’m sticking up for a cub player! I need a vacation.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My point was a most general one, that the Cubs don’t matter here. 😉

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright is rolling through seven innings. The offense needs to get him a couple of runs.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino mowing down the Bucs with the greatest of ease. Thru 7, Waino has a gem going…..but so does Williams unfortunately. This would be a crying shame if Waino and the Cards lost this game….. literally. I mist up just thinking about that possibility….. a possibility that is becoming clearer with each Cardinal at bat, as they now can do nothing with this Williams fellow whatsoever.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wish coming to fruition….as somehow we plate a run to knot this baby up.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh oh…..Pirates having their way with Andrew Miller as they have runners at the corners with nary an out here in the 8th. Frazier strolling plateward.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Miller K’s Frazier.

Marte – Drills a liner into right and Pittsburgh for the second time this evening seizes the lead….still one out and Cabby looking to further dampen the mood here at Busch. Cabby bounces into the 4-6-3 twin killing and the Bucs only get the 1 tally.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Haven’t been watching but seeing the box score after 4 I was baffled that we had no runs with 6 and 3 errors for pitt

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Man. First and third with no one out and they can’t score…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 8. Thank God Williams is out of this game! Kyle Crick now the main man for Pittsburgh, sporting a nifty little 3.27 ERA. Well let’s see if our boys can inflate that a bit here in the 8th.

JMart – Walks and that’s just what the doctor ordered.

Yadi – Spanks a line drive to right center and Jose will sprint all of the way around to 3rd on the Molina base hit!

Dexter – Come on Dex…you’re the man! Get a hit here and I’ll write a very flattering poem about you this evening. Whiffs…..no poem Dexter….mum is the word.

Wong – Grounds into a DP…..and that’s brutal! That darn shift! Wong shot the grounder right up the middle….where Tucker was playing him.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks and Bader enter as Dexter and Miller exit.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I remember a series in Pittsburgh last year where they had an insane number of LOB. This series so far is more of the same. 19 tonight after 24 last night. I realize they scored a lot of rune last night but it’s still an issue when you consistently leave so many on the bases.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many times was the tying run on third base with fewer than two outs tonight, and the Cardinals declined to even attempt a safety squeeze? Four times? Five? More?

And what was the Wainwright bunt supposed to be? Is Shildt honestly too stupid to realize that Wainwright did the one thing the opposition would most WANT him to do, i.e., make an out on purpose (when there’s already one out in the inning, by the way) without even trying to score the runner from third?

On an almost daily basis Mike Shildt is making mistakes (of both omission and commission) worse than any Redbird manager in my memory, including Vern Rapp — most obviously re-installing Dexter Fowler in centerfield full time, among innumerable other philosophical or tactical gaffes.

How’s about allowing Jordan Hicks to throw 28 pitches when trailing in the ninth inning tonight? Inexcusable, with games tomorrow and the next day. A dozen pitches to shake some rust off, okay. But nearly 30? With the effort he expends? Now using him tomorrow is dangerous to even consider.

Between the repeated front office blunders of the past 2-3 years, and the ongoing Shildt dugout buffoonery, I’m pretty much throwing in the towel on the organization getting back to what it was from 2012-2015, or was for well over a decade under LaRussa/Jocketty. There are just too many bad decisions being made day in and day out, at all levels.

Maybe Girsch is more the problem than Mo, I dunno. This decline did start pretty much when Mo was granted his title inflation and kinda sorta bumped upstairs. But it’s no fun cheering for stupidity and incompetence. It’s just too exhausting. Last year it was waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to figure out how Luke Weaver and Greg Holland were tipping their pitches. This year it’s Dakota Hudson. Next year I guess it’ll be Hicks or Flaherty of someone else.

And now we get to wait for who knows how long before Shildt alters the worst defensive outfield in Cardinal history. Seriously, how can anyone keep his self-respect after writing Ozuna, Fowler, Martinez as his starting outfield? So anyway, I won’t be following the MLB team any more until either the front office is overhauled or manager replaced. Life’s too short to waste on ugly baseball and idiot managers.

(I’ll still pontificate about the minors, though. Some of those guys are going to be REAL good.)

GACard
    Participant

Free

I won’t find much solace in minor leaguers. It’s nice and everything to look to the future but a lot of the guys that could be real good are sooooo far away. This team is hitting a rough patch and they need to right the ways

I think we should send Hudson to the minors immediately though

I don’t see why ponce isn’t given an extended look. He’s done nothing but pitch well at the big league level (even though I doubt his ability to go deep into games). Wainwright is giving us more than I thought he would. He shouldn’t bear any of the criticism because he was brought back at a low salary to be our 5 starter and I’d take what he’s given for a 5 any day. I think this staff could benefit from ponce coming up and a trade for a reliable starter and somehow eliminating wacha from the equation. I think wacha’s officially been hit by too many injuries. He has the same control I would have if I went and chucked it (he throws a little faster though)

Sorry for the rant in the game thread but those are my thoughts

I won’t get down about a week of inconsistency from the offense but would like to see an order shakeup. Fowler to 2 and push everyone back. I don’t like goldschmidt at 2 no matter what anyone says

I hope I’m wrong but i think it’s another above average team and not much more. It seems like this team wasn’t just one player away the last two years

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Avatar GACard.
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

“Life is too short to waste on ugly baseball and idiot managers.”

Bob, is that an original line? That is one of the best things I have ever read!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In his post-game remarks, Shildt said the Wainwright bunt was an attempt at a variation of a safety squeeze, but he bunted right back to the pitcher. What the Pirates probably wanted most was for Wainwright to hit into a double play, which is why the Cards did not have him swing away. Carpenter had two in scoring position and instead of trying to drive in the runs, watched four pitches before finally swinging at one and striking out. He did not get them home, a theme of the night for the entire offense, continuing long after this fourth-inning fail.

Judgment calls are going to be made every game. We are not going to agree with all of them – especially the ones that don’t work!

P.S. Kudos to Jen L. for asking the question (late in the post game interview). By then, I was wondering if anyone was going to ask the manager to explain.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many times is a big offensive explosion followed by a downer? How many times do you hear “I wish they had saved some runs for the the next game?”

There are some things to be disappointed about, some guys aren’t coming through consistently. Our manager is not the genius that some believed him to be. But these are the players Shildt was dealt by the FO. The outfield situation was once filled with promise. Fowler and JoMartinez are now hitting but give up too much defensively. Ozuna carried the team for 2/3 weeks but again gives up a lot on defense. Its a conundrum. Bader and O’Neill haven’t shown enough to replace what we have. Truly speaking, there isn’t any genuine hope down below right now either.

Outside of DeJong the infield also is playing very mediocre ball.

The starters are not living up to pre-season hype (best in MLB). Mediocrity abounds in the bullpen, Gant, Brebbia and Hicks excluded. Right now the team as a whole is, well… mediocre.

Maybe things will turn around in the next three weeks. Hey, this mediocre team is only 1.5 games out of the division lead. CHI and MIL aren’t that much better and are also playing inconsistent ball. Its too early to throw in the towel…. its baseball, things change quickly. We just need 2 or 3 guys to pick up their pace. Very doable.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

As for the big picture, like I have done since I was a little tyke in 1961 (mostly from my dad telling me about the games back then, as I always had to hit the sack before the game really got going), I will always follow the big league club through thick and thin.

Specific to last night’s game and the recent down trend – my thought with Waino hitting, first and third, one out, was that you have to avoid the double play. But Waino handles the bat pretty well, so let’s go for a suicide squeeze. Instead they tried the safety squeeze, then Carpenter did what he does so often, strike out. I did not mind the bunt, but would have liked to have seen a more aggressive approach – a little “Whitey Herzog”.

I have not agreed with Hicks being used as the closer since day one, and last night was especially brutal. So I am with Bob on that. Having him struggle through close to 30 pitches in a game you are trailing is bad. Course you do not know he is going to make that many pitches, but he has always had issues with command and this is going to happen. Hence, he should be at Memphis and in the rotation to gain experience and be on a consistent routine.

If I dwell on the misuse of Hicks too much, I almost get like Bob to where I cannot take it. It is like watching of loved one make one bad decision after another, and see them throwing their life away. I think the Cardinals are burning Hicks’ future potential. Hopefully I am wrong and things work out and 10 years from now he is winning games for the ball club. But my fear is he will be in the same place Trevor Rosenthal is right now. I saw this same scenario unfold with the way Matheny used Rosenthal. This looks like an instant replay – hard throwing pitcher who can look lights-out, but often struggles throwing strikes – used in high-leverage situations, manager becomes overly dependent on him. Yikes! A recipe for arm troubles and more and more control problems as the kid falls into the pressure of feeling he has to strike everyone out, because that is what is expected. He has to be the flame-throwing phenom, when he is actually a young pitcher who needs to take time to learn his craft.

Alright, enough rambling on that. Gotta get ’em today and tomorrow and take this series!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Bob Reed – you are really due for a total chill out. Maybe an extended alligator walkabout would be good for what ails you. Afterall this is a game, pure entertainment, something that is not designed to shorten your lifespan unless you allow it to. But then since you like the minors you may find some things even worse down there – guys doing their best to make the show but finding only achy breaky hearts in most cases. Anyway, this is my allocated one post for the day. Yep, I am also unhappy about last nights results but find that something good the next day always makes things better. Since that tornado passed through my neighborhood on April 30th and I was caught watching a Cardinals game until the front window caved in I tend to not take the small stuff seriously and baseball is defnitely small stuff in ones life.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am curious why so many are dwelling on the defense as a major perceived problem *. In the games I have been watching, the defense has usually been far down the page as the reason for losses.

Further, metrics show that defense is one area of major improvement for the Cards year to year.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-team-defense-so-far/

* To be fair, I suspect the reason – an ongoing dislike of Fowler and wish that Bader was playing instead. However, Bader is just one man. He can’t play at all three spots – and until he gets his bat going, it appears he will be a reserve.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Theory: Hicks is being overused/misused.

Facts:
    Hicks is fourth in the Cardinals pen in innings pitched with 14 1/3.
    Hicks is fifth in the pen in games pitched with 15.
    St. Louis is 13-2 in the games in which Hicks has pitched.
    Hicks has averaged 15.2 pitches per appearance.
    Hicks has thrown just 1/3 more of an inning than Gallegos, who did not even begin the season with St. Louis.
    In the first 10 days of May, Hicks appeared just twice, totaling 1 2/3 innings (including Friday night).
    Hicks is on pace for 59 innings pitched this season.
    Hicks is on pace for 62 appearances this season.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

My question is this:

WHY DID SHILDT ALLOW MILLER TO PITCH TO MARTE?????

Nobody had mentioned that one.

r/Esteemed Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I haven’t found the defense to be that improved. yes if you go by the errors they have been charged, technically you could say they have improved. but you can find many plays that should have been errors, or ones that a halfway competent player could or should have made but again aren’t put down in the books as an error. now I am a bader fan but offensively he hasn’t shown the willingness to cut down his swing with two strikes and just hit grounders to take advantage of his speed to warrant being in the lineup over Martinez or fowler at this point, starting lineup anyway. I don’t care what analytics say, put the ball in play with two strikes when you have the wheels to beat out plays especially.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Unless I missed it, Mr.Reed wasn’t complaining about overuse of Hicks but of the burning of him making unable to pitch effectively today.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years